Newell in Louisiana - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Stick Miller

Default Newell in Louisiana

I wondered if anyone has actual knowledge of an 84 40 footer in Louisiana that is advertized in this forum (ad 368). I've spoken with the owner and really don't know what specific questions to ask. New tires, low mileage, no manuals, has heat and air in units in the closets (3) no overhead a/c, overpriced but I think they are flexible. If anyone actually knows this coach please, lets have some comments. Thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
fulltiming

Stick, glad to have you with us. I don't know anything about that particular coach other than the photos indicate that it is in nice shape although potentially missing a couple of bulbs in the bath but there are several members who regularly post on this site that have Newells in that general age bracket (82-88) that will hopefully chime in with some information on things to look for.

That said, I will give you some general information that applies to any upper end coach in that age bracket. 1) Condition is MUCH more important than age. If a coach has been regularly maintained and used it will likely be a better coach than one that sat for years and years with no maintenance. 2) Newells are well built coaches but the appliances will wear out with use and age. Don't expect things like refrigerators, microwave ovens, and air conditioners to be absolutely trouble free. The refrigerator on my coach was replaced by the previous owner. I have had to add freon to a couple of the basement airs but they work and work well. I had to replace the microwave oven in my coach. Service records are a definite plus (frequency of oil and filter changes, etc). 3) Tires should be replaced every 3-7 years. Sounds like the coach you are looking at has had that done but a check on the DOT date codes on the tires is in order to be sure that the tire company didn't put old tires on it. RV tires rarely wear out, they rot out. 4) The air system should hold air. It is best if the air system on that age coach will lose less than 20 psi in a several hours. The newer coaches with more air operated equipment may leak down faster. The air pressures on the brakes should not lose more than a pound or two and hour. If they do, you either have a leak or a bad check valve. The suspension should hold air for an extended period of time. I live in my coach and can go for weeks without having to do any adjusting of the level (mine has the auto levelers but I keep that function turned off). 5) Drivetrain should be in excellent condition. Don't buy a coach with engine or transmission problems. These can be very expensive to fix if you don't know exactly what the problem is. If the vehicle has not been overheated, the drivetrain should be good for hundreds of thousands of miles. Many of the coaches in that era had the Detroit Diesel 6V92 although not all. Good engine if properly maintained. It should NOT be leaking oil on the ground.

The coach should drive nicely without wandering all over the road and should have a smooth quiet ride. The generator should start easily and run smoothly. All electric outlets and lights should work on shorepower and generator. There should not be leaks in the water or wastewater tanks.

Ask any questions and we will try to give you an answer.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote