Water Pump - Surflo 5009-0112 5.7 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
chockwald

Default Water Pump - Surflo 5009-0112 5.7

Brought the coach home Wednesday and turned on the water pump, but NO water pressure! I found that the fuse on fuse panel in my closet was blown, so I replaced it. Still no water pressure, and no water pump sound. My first thought was that the motor had shorted, or burned out causing the fuse to blow out. However, I checked power at the pump and intitially got a reading showing that over 12 volts was reaching the pump (the coach was plugged into AC). So, I thought the pump was bad. I located a local RV supply place that had my exact pump in stock for $169 + tax...good deal as they go for over $250 retail. I installed the pump yesterday afternoon, but it wouldn't come on.....hmmmm....

OK guys....another lesson learned.....LOL!!!! It was the ground that was bad....where have I heard that before? When I originally checked to see if I had power at the pump I used my multi-meter putting the red probe on the hot wire, and the black probe on the ground that was being used for the pump. I got a little over 13 volts, which I would expect when plugged into AC, so I thought the ground was good. I bought the new pump ($169 + tax), and installed it late yesterday afternoon, going into evening. Result, no pumping action. Hmmmm...well, my mind immediately goes to a fried wire somewhere that I will have to spend hours tracking down, and then running a new wire....I hate electrical stuff because I always feel like I'm looking through frosted glass, and never quite get a handle on what I'm trying to do. At any rate, I decided to stop working on it last night about 7pm....actually, the rain decided it for me. I woke up at 3am and was thinking about the steps I would have to take today to get this thing working. I decided I would, before all the difficult stuff started, reroute the ground directly to the batter ground in the next compartment just to see if that was the problem after all. What do you know? The pump started pumping. The result of this exercise is that I now have a spare water pump that works just fine, thank you very much!

Thank you Tom, Richard and Steve for your helpful replies!

We're headed out to Temecula to a 2 day soccer tournament...we will be dry camping at the soccer complex, which is why the pump issue had to be dealt with. Supposed to stop raining sometime today and be clear this weekend.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote