Luxury coach lighting options and ideas? Best options? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Gone Busing

Default Luxury coach lighting options and ideas? Best options?

Ok, we are like many others out there looking to upgrade our coach and or maybe trade up to something a little newer like a Newell. We currently have all incandescent and fluorescent lighting in our Eagle. If we can't find the Newell that fits our budget and requirements then we will upgrade the bus. Either way, even the Newell's the wife and I have been looking at all have this type of lighting.

I realize this subject has been somewhat addressed in other threads throughout this fabulous forum. I appreciate everyones views around here more than any place I frequent for knowledge based information and would like your opinions.

Have any of you tried the other alternatives like fiber optic accent lighting VS LED VS rope lighting?

Are there areas you would use or prefer one type over the other or not?

Have you tried one of these types but decided you didn't like it and wish you went another route?

Thanks in advance!

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
MrE

I replaced all my fluorescent overhead fixtures with LED and love it. There are three different 'white' LEDs, warm white, white white and cool white. We went with the white white and couldn't believe the difference. It's also quite an inexpensive upgrade, I have just over $20 invested to do 14 lights. I'm currently in the process of doing my cove lights, playing with different positions and angles to decide what I like best. The other nice thing, LEDs use substantially less juice than fluorescents.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Gone Busing

Sounds amazing! So, how is the look and feel to it? Do you feel the estetics are much more pleasing than old. I can't believe the cost difference. I have one Thin-Lite to replace at a cost of about $80.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
MrE

Instead of replacing your Thin-Lite, pull it out and remove the guts and replace with a length of 5050 with 60 led per meter, I paid $19.99 per 16 foot (5 meters) strip with free shipping. Below is what I've been using as a reference, you didn't think I came up with this on my own; did you?

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...ixtures-8.html

I spent all of last week replacing ALL of my flourescents and downlights and closet lights.

I have 14 ceiling flourescents (10 12" and 4 18") and 6 of the 4' and one 2'. and 11 downlights.

When i get a chance i will post pictures. the light inside is amazing and the total power savings averages out to about 75 percent.

I used a combination of strip led's.

1. 5050 with 60 led per meter i paid 30 bucks per 16 foot strip

2. 3528 with 60 led per meter i paid 10 bucks per 16 foot strip

3. 5050 RGB with 30 led per meter i paid 20 bucks per 16 foot strip

I took the entire fixture out of the bus. then i stripped all the guts out. then i used aluminum tape and lined the inside of the fixture to made a reflector.

For the front ceiling flourescents i used a strip of 3528 on each SIDE of the fixture. darlene didnt want to see the led's.

For the ones where you couldnt really see them well (under things) i used a single 5050 in the center pointed down. it draws about 400ma for a 12" strip. the 3528 draws 150ma per 12" strip so 300ma per fixture.

For the 18" i used 5050 single strips. it draws 600ma

For the 4 foot and 2 foot ones in the coves i took the cove front off. i built a platform out of wood about 6" high and put a single strip of 3528 the entire length.

The lights are awesome.

Underneath the kitchen counter at the kickplate at floor level i put the 5050 rgb with a controller. they are hooked to the aisle light switch.

They go on and off with the switch. you can change colors or flashing, strobing etc with the remote. i mounted the control unit under the sink. just open the door under the sink and point the remote at it.

I also replace the round 906 wedge bulbs under my coves. all 11 of them now draw less power than a single 906 bulb before with better light.

I more than offset the power my new house fridge takes from the inverter.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote