Running all the a/c units while on the move - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
gbuss

Default Running all the a/c units while on the move

Ok. Here goes the first of what I predict will be many stupid questions. I've been reading the books and manuals that came with my coach, and going through the threads on here. I read several people talking about running the generator the whole time they are driving. Does the engine alternator not put out enough power to run all the a/c units while running down the road? Am I going to need to runn my generator any time I'm not plugged in to shore power to keep the fridge, freezer, and all that going? We leave on our maiden voyage in a week and I still don't feel like I know enough to stay out of trouble. Thanks in advance for any advice.

gbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
folivier

First of all what year coach do you have?
Most Newells have a large enough generator to power everything in the coach.
No the engine alternator usually will not run the a/cs, besides you would need a large inverter to run the a/cs. Very few Newells are set up like this.
Depending on what year coach you have you should have a set of up to 6 8D batteries which would run everything except your a/cs for overnight or longer before needing to be charged from either the engine alternator (if driving) or the generator/inverter combo.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
77newell

Gbuss: Every Newell has 3 electrical systems: 12VDC chassis, 12VDC coach and 120VAC. There are at least two sources of electrical supply for each of these systems. One supply for each system is at least one of the other systems. If all this sounds insane...... well sometimes it does make me insane. The redundancy creates enormous flexibility but only if you understand the basics of the systems. I strongly urge you to find a book or reference on the fundamentals of RV electrical systems, it will help you enormously and make it easier for us to help you.

Now to directly answer your question; no Newell coach I've heard of has an alternator on the drive engine big enough to supply a big enough inverter to run your air conditioners. If you need cooling while going down the road you either run the generator and house air conditioners (which by the way is fine to do) or you run your dash air conditioner (which is usually inoperable on older coaches and not worth resurrecting). Both Forest (above) and I regularly run our generators and house air conditioners while on the road.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
smquandt

Always ran my Blue Bird with the Gen Set running to power the A/C, plan to do the same with my Newell.

1996 Newell
smquandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
prairieschooner

Agreed I looked at what it would take to get the Air Conditioning Compressor that runs off of the Main and decided that it was much more economical to simply run the Generator and the Overhead Air Conditioners instead of continuing to repair that system. The Dash Air Units on the older coaches aim the A/C at our Knees anyway. It is much better to run a Generator and load it than to not run it or run it with little or no load.
Besides if you are worried about the extra fuel cost you are most likely in the wrong RV!!!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
prairieschooner

PS there are no stupid questions, we all had to learn.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
ccjohnson

We run both dash & house A/C's while driving. The dash gives a little more"breeze" effect that way. And, it's not having to cool as much of a temperature differential.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
gbuss

Thanks for all you replies! My coach is a 1990 (# 217). As you guessed my dash A/C is inop. I will plan to run the generator when I'm not plugged in on our trip as I will have a full freezer and fridge also.
gbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
folivier

Is your fridge a propane? If so run it on that when not plugged in or when generator isn't running. Watch your house battery voltage and when they get to about 12.2 volts run your generator for a couple hours with the charger/inverter set to high to recharge your batteries. If your batteries are in good condition you should be able to go overnight before needing a recharge.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
NewellCrazy

Lots of great info in this thread. Do you have pictures you care to share of your Newell?

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
VinceD

If you have a diesel / electric aquahot, you cannot run the AC with the gen running and be on electric aquahot. You will need to switch it to Diesel heating.
VinceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #12
Dave-n-Marjorie

When my engine is running, my generator is running, all my a/c's, fridge, in motion satellite, tv, basement fridge, everything is running, even diesel aqua hot, along with my ice cold dash a/c. That is the point of having a 20kw generator. 6,000 miles so far cross country and it is wonderful!!! Never gets above 72 deg in the coach
1996 Newell #423
47' Bath and a Half
Hilton Head Island, SC
Dave-n-Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Neweller

But 20kw is still not enough to run the Aquahot on electric? Obviously that must be an inverter sizing issue?? Unless it is also total amp draw off a 50 amp service in the coach... Don't some of the later coaches actually have higher amp capabilities?
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

There is a switch in my coach that allows me to either run the AquaHot electrically or the A/C units, but not both at the same time. I estimate that the 20kw generator is capable of running everything at the same time, but the switch is necessary when connected to an outside 50 amp power source. So the coach is set up for the outside source for protection.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote