Inverter assistance please - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Yachts

Default Inverter assistance please

A light on my inverter control panel started flashing saying I was only drawing 30 amps. I'm currently plugged into a 50 amp plug. I then checked the breakers unplugged rep lugged reset breakers still only 30'amps.. I started generator then it showed 50 amps.. But I got an electrical smell coming from the inverter and now it's detecting 0 volts coming from inverter.

i am really stupid on this stuff. Is there a reset on the inverter? Am I ok to stay here for rest of weekend or do I need to head home?

Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
folivier

Not sure what model inverter you have but you might try unplugging from shore power and turning off main battery switch, that should do a hard reset on your inverter.
Also look next to your inverter and there might be a plug where you can bypass the inverter. Good luck!

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Yachts

Update just tried to reset everything went back to shore power got bad electrical smell again from inverter.. Am I ok just to run off generator for a day.. My batteries would still charge even if inverter fried?

When I try to run shore power I have no power to tv or anything . When I run from generator I do.. Forrest where is the main battery cut off.. There is a plug next to my inverter .. I thought that was a buddy plug.. What would I plug in there?
also is my inverter needed if I'm running generator whole time?
Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
folivier

There should be 2 receptacles. Your inverter should be plugged into 1, if you move the plug over to the other receptacle that should bypass your inverter. At least that's how it is on mine. Your buddy plug should be in the compartment with your shore power hookup.
You said "
When I try to run shore power I have no power to tv or anything" is nothing in your coach working? It might be your transfer switch not working.
If it's just the tv and fridge then it is probably the inverter.
The battery cutoff switch should be next to your house batteries. Make sure the merge switch is off.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 09-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Yachts

I meant fridge and tv .. (you are much smarter than me) so if I bypass it like you said with shore power I should be fine? If not just run my generator and I should be fine..? Inverter is just used if you have no power and changes 12v dc battery power to ac 110 correct?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
folivier

Should work.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Yachts

Thanks Forrest , wonder why it was only reading 30 amp.. Ill try it at half time see if it gives me any trouble.. Disconnecting the inverter like that should also reset it by moving the plug?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
Yachts

Did what you suggested Forrest, I can now run the stuff bypassing the inverter.. Ill have the inverter checked when I get home. I never run without shore power or generator . Hope to do a hard reset . When I get back.. The inverter doesn't charge the house batteries does it?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
folivier

The inverter does charge the house batteries, but you won't be using them. Except for 12 volt stuff like lights and water pump. The generator and engine will charge the batteries.
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

Old 09-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Yachts

Ok since I'm using the 110ac power for water pump and air compressor. All im using is some lights.. that should last a couple of days easy. Everything ran fine when I was on generator just shore power was the issue. When I leave and im on generator ill flip the inverter plug back and then the genny can power the inverter.. I wonder if I just don't have enough amps coming through this plug. And it was making the inverter work hard?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Yachts, to reboot my inverter, the house battery cables have to be removed since the inverter is wired around the cut-off switch in the battery bay. Forest, I wonder if the engine alternator will charge the house batteries unless the merge switch is on. As to the generator, I wonder if it will charge the house batteries without the inverter. If these wonderings are correct, I would purchase a heavy duty portable battery charger to plug into the generator for the house batteries.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Yachts

What's weird is everything ran fine on generator just not on shore power. When shore power is on the inverter does not sem to think it has any thing but 30 amp.. Ill merge batteries and run off generator when I leave. Forrest did you by your coach from motorhomes of Texas?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
folivier

I'd look closer at the contacts in your transfer switch and also your cable. Sounds like the problem may be before the inverter.
Yes we bought it from MOT in March.

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE