Dry Camping in Yellowstone - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
bluesky

Default Dry Camping in Yellowstone

We're heading off into Yellowstone dry camping for 3 nights. We've been plugged in for the last 5 nights, so all systems should be charged.

We'll be running the generator a few hours a day to charge the batteries. Should I run the merge switch when the genny is running? Also, would it make sense to disconnect house batteries when genny not running?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
rellick

Hi Glenn, I disconnect the chassis battery when parked, this way if you run you house batteries low the coach will still start when you need. I switch the merge on to start the gen when the house batteries wont start the gen, of course switching the chassis batteries back on, visa versa. Hope this helps, have a great trip. Love your coach, its a real sweet classic!!

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
ccjohnson

We try to always have "merge" on when generator is running or we are plugged into shore power. Just remember to un-merge batteries when you shut off generator. That way you always have good engine battery charge to get the coach motor started. After coach motor is running there should be no problem starting generator if house batteries have run down too far to start it overnight.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Bluesky, I do not know which model year you have, but my chassis batteries are independent of the house batteries and i do not disconnected them even when stored for several months. There should be nothing to draw them down, and I do not leave my merge switch on for fear that I would accidentally run down my chassis batteries.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester B. Stone, Jr. View Post
Bluesky, I do not know which model year you have, but my chassis batteries are independent of the house batteries and i do not disconnected them even when stored for several months. There should be nothing to draw them down, and I do not leave my merge switch on for fear that I would accidentally run down my chassis batteries.
Chester, mine also are indepenent also, I like the peace of mind there is no draw on my chassis battery so I turn off the disconnect switch to them off, so I know it will start in the morning, I guess I still don't fully trust there is no draw on them. If I need them to start the gen I can just merge them to the house and turn the disconnect switch back on.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Neweller

Hey Glenn, it's good to see you guys are out enjoying yourselves in the Newell coach. Like Keith stated it sure is a beauty and someone ought to be enjoying her. Yellowstone is great this time of year.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
bluesky

I have a House battery disconnect just above my House batteries at the front passenger bay, however, I haven't seen a Chassis battery disconnect on my coach. My Chassis batteries are on both sides towards the rear of the coach.
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
rellick

If you can follow the cables from the batteries they should head towards the rear pass door where the merge solonoid is. It should be between them if it has one. My 87 was in the pass side engine bay, and the batteries were the next compartment forward, my 77 is in the same compartment as the engine batteries, hope this helps

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list