AC voltage switch panel on classic coach - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Narrowrd

Default AC voltage switch panel on classic coach

Anyone have wiring diagram or want to take a picture of their panel? I've got a few loose wires and no idea where they go. Trying to troubleshoot an intermittent problem and would love to rule these out.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
ccjohnson

I have some loose wires on my '92. They are not stripped back. I asked Newell about them & they said that they always run a few extras just in case. No need to worry if insulation is not stipped back.

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Narrowrd

Thanks! I see those wires as well- the ones I have loose are related to the indicator lights which don't work but are not a huge concern.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrowrd View Post
Anyone have wiring diagram or want to take a picture of their panel? I've got a few loose wires and no idea where they go. Trying to troubleshoot an intermittent problem and would love to rule these out.
Micah,

Not sure what you are looking for, your thread title says "AC voltage switch panel on classic coach", but the "indicator" lights are 12VDC. When Wyn and I got our '81 Newell in '97, it came with two type written pages of wire color and terminal points on the front and rear electrical panels, both only 12VDC. I have done a lot of troubleshooting since then and created updated PDF versions of those original pages. If you would like I can e-mail you copies of the pdf's and any photos we have.
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Narrowrd

Yah, I'm probably in over my head, but I've got a shoreline/gen transfer switch in the front that is 120v. Grey transfer switch box in the rear of the coach is likewise all 120v that I have found so far. It has indicator lights on it that never light up, but are disconnected. I'd appreciate the wiring schematic- it might help me tell up from down.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrowrd View Post
Yah, I'm probably in over my head, but I've got a shoreline/gen transfer switch in the front that is 120v. Grey transfer switch box in the rear of the coach is likewise all 120v that I have found so far. It has indicator lights on it that never light up, but are disconnected. I'd appreciate the wiring schematic- it might help me tell up from down.
Micah,

First, our '81 does not have an automatic transfer switch, we have a 50A socket in our electrical bay off the generator, and the 50A shore cable is direct wire to our main VAC panel. So, I guess we are the auto transfer switch, we pull the plug from shore power and plug into gen socket.

Two, not all auto transfer switch boxes are wired the same, and most do not have lights, however they pretty much function the same. The default is set to shore power, there may be 2-3 50A relays depending on individual configuration.

Three, I have not heard of two auto transfer boxes on an RV, perhaps someone else who has that configuration will input. If not, I will be more than glad to help troubleshoot your situation. I would need photos of both panels and we can go from there.
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
Narrowrd

I like your "auto transfer"- mine works well but the extra relays leave more to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. Thanks for the diagrams!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

You are welcome, and those pdf and diagrams are of the more common ATS's. I had thought of installing an ATS, but I was a consulting, start-up engineer for the fossil power (coal, gas, oil) and environmental off-gas industry for 35 years. Part of my job was to insure the ATS system from MCC power to battery/generator backup and back worked. When they work, they work well, when they don't it can be a 'bear' to troubleshoot. Let me know if I can be of any assistance, short of going to AK. Last time I was there was with the USAF 'DEW' line system, it was beautiful country, just didn't like the winters.

Best Regards,
Old 06-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Narrowrd

Most of my issues so far have been loose connections/bad grounds. When the Mosquitos simmer down I'll go outside and stare at my transfer switch box hoping for inspiration to strike- we need a good cold snap to thin them out... In July. I'm sure you remember that part of AK. Still pretty, getting crowded though.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
hlfdzn

Default Kenai???

Hello Micah,

Just saw one of your posts and that you were in Kenai. I'm here also and would love to chat. I've pm'd you my email to get in touch.

Paul

'93 45' #320
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
hlfdzn is offline   Reply With Quote