headlight/charging issue ?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
azroper

Default headlight/charging issue ??

When driving with lights on, after a couple hours, the lights dim, and then go out. Engine continues to run. Alt gauge shows charge near 26. If I leave all three battery disconnect switches on, overnight, battts are to low to start engine. All batteries are new. Have NO idea how to access Alternator. Notrap door under bed. This is an 86 3axle 102" with 8V92........Ima rookie....all suggestions welcome....my wife already said 'have a stiff drink and call a good mechanic'....LOL

azroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
mnhoff

You should see a blank or trap door viewing from driver side engine compartment just above the alternator. Which is located to the back of the engine, closest to the transmission. This will give you direction inside the coach as to where you may have to pull back carpet ect ect. There you can access your alternator somewhat easier.

1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
ccjohnson

I have a '92 . Newell told me they didn't start trap door engine access to alternator etc until the series 60 DD. All my engine access is through the side doors or back through radiator once it is removed. 8V92 here. I would vote for getting a mechanic!
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
mnhoff

That is interesting Clint that Newell had told you that. My 95 has a trap door directly over the alternator, on a 8v92. But with that said, I vote get a mechanic also.
1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjohnson View Post
I have a '92 . Newell told me they didn't start trap door engine access to alternator etc until the series 60 DD. All my engine access is through the side doors or back through radiator once it is removed. 8V92 here. I would vote for getting a mechanic!
Clint,

I have to agree, I know our '81 with a 6V92TA has a about 3' x 4' trap door under the 'island' queen bed with gas struts and brace supports to hold everything open. I have access to the flange mounted hydraulic pump, alternator, turbo, and air compressor. I know our Newell is quite a bit older, but Newell saying they did not "start trap door engine access to alternator etc until the series 60" is a little off.
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
MrE

On my 86 w/o tag the access is through the engine bay door passenger side. If you have the funds, pay someone to do it for you. I had to have mine rebuilt and my daughter in law's boyfriend did the R&R and got absolutely filthy doing it. I have the 2 CD DD v-92 Shop Service Manual if you need a copy PM me.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote