Loosing Batteries Too Soon - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
khpaladin

Prescott Valley
Default Loosing Batteries Too Soon

Hi all,

Wyn and I really appreciate level of knowledge and experience this group has, not just about Newell's but other RV equipment, and the enthusiastic verve of which this functions.

For some reason, even with monthly maintenance we seemed to start loosing batteries sooner than was felt necessary, first the engine batteries, then the house batteries, all 5 were replaced September, 5 years ago. Then the ProSine I/C died, and I replaced it in February '13 with a Magnum 2800 I/C. Replaced all 5 batteries last month and wired the house batteries as shown on attached drawing, total replacement of all 5 8D batteries twice in eleven years is a little too soon.

Wired engine batteries, also as shown, but, did not connect either bank to the merge solenoid. So far, all the batteries and the Magnum I/C seem to be functioning well, only when we stop for the more than a day or two, we turn the main disconnect to the engine batteries off. Should the engine batteries need some charging, I hook up our 15A plugin charger to top them off.

I have read through pretty much all of the forums post, but nothing shows the best way to connect the battery banks to do what we want. Now that I've bore you with the history, here is what we would like to do:

1. Charge both banks while driving down the road. (I've included a battery isolator with Orange wiring in the drawing as a possibility)
2. Charge both banks while on shore or generator power. (I found the True Smart Dual Battery 140A Isolator - True Smart Battery Isolator |, as another possibility)
3. Be able to Merge both banks for emergency starting.

I sure someone will be able to resolve this problem...Don't hesitate to call or email me if you need any additional info (303) 519-4500 or khpaladin@gmail.com
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote