where is the temperature sensor for the outside thermometer - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
encantotom

Default where is the temperature sensor for the outside thermometer

on the led control panel over the range, it allows you to switch between tank bay temp and outside temp. the tank bay temp works fine, but the outside temperature sensor gives an error readout. does anyone know where the sensor is? and does it just need replacing?

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
fulltiming

Not sure where the outside temperature sensor was supposed to go originally.

In my coach, both wiring leads go to the bay. One of the temperature sensors appears to be buried behind the waste holding tank. In my case, that is the sensor that shows an error. The other sensor was taped up and hanging from the drain line on the driver's side near the dump valve. Since I find the temperature in the bay more important than the outside temperature, I have left the outside sensor hanging from the drain pipe. I have thought about contacting PMI who made the temperature gauge about a replacement but haven't gotten around to it yet.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Bikestuff

Tom,

Did you ever find your sensor? On my 2003, the outside temperature sensor has just started to act up. I am at the Newell factory and they have been working in the basement area, so they probably just jostled something. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
bill
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
encantotom

hi bill,

for my 1990 the sender was in the wet bay on the passenger side at the front of the bay on the side.

funny enough though is my 2002 has a cyberdyne digital outside temperature gauge over the drivers head. it has worked just fine until this weekend and now it reads 499 degrees. so i need to find that sender. i would guess it is fairly close to the gauge so it is upfront somewhere. if you find it let me know too. what is yours doing?

thanks

tom

Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
RussWhite

Bill,

Kind of dug up an old thread didn't you

Okay, I have done a little investigation on this one. My outside temperature never worked since I purchased my 1999 in 2010 - bay still works. Bay is located on the wall next to the waste tank on the utility bay side. The outside is located in the insulation on the underside of the coach. It can be very hard to find. The easiest way is to follow the wire where it goes through the bottom of the bay. In my case, the wire runs down the side of the bay wall in a bay just behind the mid-entry door on the passenger side. I have a indoor/outdoor sensor made by PMMI electronics. That company is no longer in business and Newell said they had no parts. I was able to make contact with the fellow who bought the company and he was helpful, but still confirmed that there are no parts available.
The sensor used on the I/O display product is actually a 2N222 transistor. When I discovered that I was none too happy as I think calibration and any real accuracy are not too likely. The transistor is attached to a nail like piece of metal that acts as a heat sink to dampen temperature variation and then covered in heat shrink. This almost home brew package is then exposed to road grime and corrosion with its under coach location. Mine was just a hunk of rust when I found it. See attached picture.
I do have some sketches and notes from the manufacturer, and I even went so far as to buy a few transistors, but lost enthusiasm somewhere along the way. If you want a copy of the email from PMMI as well as the pdf files and sketches, just drop me a PM with your address and I will get it on the way.
Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	TemperatureDisplay (Medium).JPG
Views:	162
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2067Click image for larger version

Name:	TemperatureOutside (Medium).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2068Click image for larger version

Name:	TemperatureSensor (Medium).JPG
Views:	143
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2069Click image for larger version

Name:	OutdoorTempSensor (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2070Click image for larger version

Name:	OutdoorTempSensor (2) (Medium).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2071Click image for larger version

Name:	OutdoorTempSensor (3) (Medium).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	2072
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Bikestuff

Tom,

My gauge is a standard Newell gauge right over the driver. It was reading fine until yesterday when it decided to read about 20 degrees too hot. I think I found the tankage sensor in the wet bay on drivers side. It is a small black cylinder about 1/2" long. (It was just hanging there on black and white wires).

The quest continues!

Cheers,
bill
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Bikestuff

Russ,

Thanks! Well that explains a lot. I just had Newell replace my quickee step with a Braun unit and they were cutting and welding a lot in that very area. Might have toasted the sensor. I will look under and see what I can see. (Dang it that I did not realize I had a problem when I was on the "pit" in the Newell maintenance dept.)

Will let you know what I find.

thanks,
bill
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
encantotom

what do you mean by standard newell gauge? is it a digital gauge or analog?

tom

Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
express1

Tom, global warming in full force!
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Bikestuff

In my coach there are several digital, round, black gauges. I call them Newell since there is no other visible marking on them. I have one for aqua hot temp, one for tankage temp, and one for outside temp.

I spent a while looking for that darned sensor, but did not find it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
rheavn

Bill,
My sensor for the dash mounted outside temperature gauge is located below the headlights on the left front corner just below the air horns. Mine has a copper end with one wire. By the way we just pulled into Newell and I'm parked behind the front sales line. Come by and say hi
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Bikestuff

Steve,

Thanks! It was right there! (Just below the air horns on drivers side). Now I need to figure out if it is the sensor or the temperature display!

Cheers,
bill
Coach #653 2003 powered by C12 Cat, BMW R1100GS, FJ Cruiser
Old 04-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
encantotom

bill,

what was wrong with the temperature gauge or sender?

mine has worked fine till the last week or so and now it shows between 399 and 499 degrees. btw, the gauges are made by cyberdyne. at least on mine they are. the digital ones.

what did you do to fix it?

tom