A/C blowing out warm air - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
PIExpress

Default A/C blowing out warm air

Does the roof ac run less while on generator the when plugged into electric? While driving the last few days the front ac appears to be blowing out warm air, but the back one is ice cold. Not sure if it could be a freon problem, or if they just go bad and possibly need a new one. Right now I am plugged into electric and the front is blowing out okay air, and the back one is noticeably cooler to me anyway. Thanks for any ideas.

PIExpress

Old 06-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
prairieschooner

I have noticed this on occasion in our '82. It has been a simple fix by cleaning the Filter, It is a Foam Piece under the Vent Cover, try that 1st.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
77newell

Air conditioners are really ignorant, they can't tell where the juice is coming from. If as you sat plugged in it worked fine after you thought it wasn't working fine on the road while the rear one worked fine, then I can see no reason to think it is fundamentally toast, that it's out of freon or that the AC is somehow a problem. I was initially thinking along the lines of Steve's post but I can't explain why stopping would make the filter less of an issue. Maybe it's just late here and my brain is fried, but the only explanation I can come up with is that the front of the coach is subject to more leakage of warm outside air into the cabin than the back A/C and it just can't keep up. Just occurred to me that if the filter is plugged and there is outside air getting in while traveling then what Steve suggested makes sense. I certainly would clean the filter. And I would spend some time checking for air leaks but closing everything up tight as I can, turning my vent fan on high and using incense stick smoke to look for drafts from the outside. Even if you don't find any leaks you will at least have your neighbors wondering what you are smoking in there.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

Makes no difference whether on gen or plugged in. I would actually suspect that going down the road would provide better air flow to the condenser, but don't know that for a fact. Start with basics- clean filter, go on roof to remove cover and clean condenser. A quick way to check freon level is if you have an EMS, see how many amps that a/c draws. Mine leaked freon out and a tech used a clamp on meter on a wire inside.
Also, the air coming out of the ac should be about 20-25 degrees cooler than the air being sucked in, which is basically the temperature inside.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
JustDustin

Yes clean the filter first and see if that helps. Keep cool!
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote