rediline - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
prarieschooner

Default rediline

A little Help Here;
The Switch at the Dash says Rediline and it operates a HONEYWELL DC to AC Generator the DC Rating is 1800 Watt. I finally tested it the other day & while I still need to check the Voltage it does appear to operate. It looks like it is wired to keep the Ice-maker running while the Coach is underway (man after my own heart, cocktails on time!).
My question is if this unit is more efficient or desirable than the HEART Power Inverter. Most likely the HEART Power Inverter was added later making the Rediline obsolete.
Looks like I need to use the Battery Merge Switch to Charge the House Batteries while the 6V92 is Running. I may need to add a Battery Combiner in order to make this Automatic unless there is a good reason not too.

prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
prarieschooner

The Rediline Distributor claims that the Rediline is almost indestructible. He also stated that it is about 3 X's the cost

Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
fulltiming

Not sure about the 1982 models (hopefully Clarke will chime in) but the Series 2000 Newells automatically engage the merge switch when you start the engine so there is no need to manually turn on the merge switch. You can verify this by checking the merge solenoid in the rear compartment on the passenger's side and confirming that the solenoid switches both when the merge switch is turned on and when the engine is running. Those are continue duty cycle solenoids and Newell recommends that they be replaced every year or two. I had mine replaced about 3 -1/2 years ago.

Redilines were high wattage output for their time. If it is still working and still connected, it could add additional power just to the ice maker leaving the inverter to power the lower amperage items such as select outlets, any 120 volt lights, etc.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
prarieschooner

Thanks for the heads up, next time down I'll look at the Wiring. My Battery Merge Relay is in the Plumbing Bay on the Passenger Side. It does make sense that it would be what we in the Boating World called a Battery Combiner with an Override.
The Battery Combiner is a Constant Duty Relay that is energized and disconnected by Charging Voltage. There are other ways to connect all of the Batteries for Charging but this was the least expensive. HEART made what they called a Pathfinder or Pathmaker for charging a Battery Bank that had different Amp Hours from the Battery Bank that was being Charged and this may be an even better choice for my application.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
chockwald

Good morning Steve.....my coach originally had a "Rediline" inverter, and it was replaced at a later date with a Heart 2000 Watt inverter. I'm a little confused (still working on my first cup of coffee...LOL!)....do you still have the Redline, or do you have the replacement Heart? My heart powers every single outlet in the coach....I wish it didn't as I have to go around turning things off that I don't want syphoning off power when the inverter is working.

On the charging while in motion, it appears to me (and I say that advisedly) that all four batteries charge while in motion without using the "battery merge" switch. As I switch from one battery bank to another the meter is showing that they are being charged while in motion.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
prarieschooner

Clarke,
I have both a REDILINE and a HEART aboard the Coach.
The REDILINE is in the BAY just aft of the Fuel Tank Bay. It looks to be a DC Motor that Drives an AC Generator. There is a Switch is at the Dash and another at the Aft Cabin. Turn on the Switch and the REDILINE comes on and off with Load Requirements.
The HEART Power Inverter/Charger is in the Forward most Bay on the Passenger Side, just above the House Batteries. The HEART was installed to power up a couple of Receptacles in the Shore Power Bay. Looks like they would have simply plugged the Shore Power into one of these Receptacles and power up the AC Distribution Panel. I am not a fan of this type of installation and will be changing this. I will most likely be adding a Separate AC Distribution Panel with a Selector for Shore/Generator/Power Inverter.
I am thinking that after I get mine up-graded we should get after yours as well. Do you still have the REDILINE? There is a Distributor/Repair Facility locally.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
chockwald

Steve.....no, the Rediline was replaced with the Heart Interface 2000watt inverter by original owner, which is in the front left compartment of my coach. I have a large switch down by my CB radio that can be changed between "generator" and "rediline" (rediline now being Heart). The inverter must be manually switched on by opening the compartment and turning it on. Then I must turn the large switch by my CB radio to "Rediline". I would like to set it up so I can turn it "on" without leaving my chair.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
prarieschooner

I can understand why they chose the HEART over the REDILINE. From my discussions with the REDILINE repair guy it would cost more to repair the REDILNE than a new Inverter. On the other hand he was saying that these REDILNE Generators are desired by the Truckers because they require very little maintenance.
I will most likely use the REDILINE for my needs while underway and then configure the Wiring for the HEART Power Inverter for when we are moored somewhere.
We have a pair of Relays in the Shore Power Bay that select between Shore and Generator. I had some problems with these Relays when we first got the Coach so repairs were made. All works well now but I think that if I need to spend much of any $$$ on this Relay System I would go to a Manual Isolation Switch. Although it is nice to simply flip a switch.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
prarieschooner

After checking again it looks like the automatic function of the Battery Merge System (to charge the House Bank while driving) is not functional. I will have to use the Dash Switch while making the River Run and then look into repairing the system after our return.
thanks for the input, and Michael thanks for posting your Owner's Manual!!! I refer to it allot. Maybe Clarke and I should modify it for our Coaches sometime.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
fulltiming

Thanks for keeping us up to date on your troubleshooting results Steve. Glad the Owner's Manual is helping.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
prarieschooner

the manual has proved itself extremely valuable.