Newell Coach Dry Weight Calculation - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Dom Ferris

Default Newell Coach Dry Weight Calculation

How do I calculate the dry weight?

Dom & Fay Ferris

Logan,IA
Dom Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
fulltiming

Calculating dry weight is not easy. If you don't have much 'stuff' in your coach, remove all of it, weigh the coach then subtract the weight of the fuel, propane, water and any grey or wastewater in the tanks and water heater. Under the strict definition of 'dry weight' you would also subtract the weight of the oil and coolant in the engine and generator. A more useable number is the UVW or Unloaded (or Unladen) Vehicle Weight. That includes the weight of the vehicle as it left the factory, including oil, coolant, and typically full fuel but no water or propane in the holding tanks, no occupants or owner added items. That number will give you an idea of the actual load carrying capability of the motorhome. In 1996 the RVIA instituted their vehicle labeling standards for RV's. This label listed the UVW and the NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) which was GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - UVW). Unfortunately, the NCC would frequently result in an overloaded tire or axle since the weight could not be distributed in the appropriate amounts to each tire or axle. By year 2000, the RVIA changed the labeling requirements and deleted the NCC. They replaced NCC with CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) and the, in my opinion silly, SCWR (Sleeping Capacity Weight Rating). In 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration created the requirement for motorized RVs to use OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity) in lieu of the SCWR and CCC.

When I purchased and registered my Newell in Texas, I had to provide a Certificate of Origin to the State. I got one from Newell and it listed "Shipping Weight" and "GVWR". The Shipping Weight was likely the UVW without fuel since it was listed as 37,000 pounds with a GVWR of 45,200 pounds. I weighed the coach with about 70% full fuel tanks, almost full propane tank, about 55% water in tanks and about 30% full waste holding tank, and myself but NO personal belongings. The weight was 40,180 pounds. If I calculate the weight of the fuel, propane, water and wastewater, I get about 3,000 pounds. That is consistent with the 'shipping weight'.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
JustDustin

Great information.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote