brake air leak - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
papabear

Default brake air leak

hello, my coach air brake pressure is leaking when parked for 12 hr gauge shows 0 pressure is that normal

papabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
rheavn

Charlie,
No that is not normal. You have a leak some where in the air brake system. When I bought my coach I too had a braking system air leak. I had a fitting leaking on the air brake pedal valve. It was a simple fix. The air brake valve is connected to the brake pedal under the dash. Another place to give a close inspection is the air tanks. If the previous owner did not drain the water out of the tanks they can develop air leaks. I found an air leak on one of the air tanks & was able to stop it with JB Weld. If you are going to try to find the leak yourself I used an ultra sonic leak detector. It saved me hours of looking. With the leak detector I found both leaks within a couple of hours. This was after spending many hours with soap & water---which the only thing I accomplished was getting wet!

Good luck.....................

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
rheavn

Charlie,
You might want to go to the CHASSIS & SUSPENSION section & find Ron Skeen's thread on "How to find air leaks in the supply system" dated 1-8-2011.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Richard and Rhonda

Charlie,

That is not normal. You could have a leak in your brake system, or the check valves between the brake system and the general air system could be leaking. You have two needles on the brake air guage. Are they both leaking down at the same rate?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle http://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
express1

Only time I've ever saw low brake air was when my Air Dryer went south leaving Newell.
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
rheavn

Charlie,
I went in my coach yesterday & checked the brake air supply gauge. My coach was last started & run three weeks ago & the gauge still reads 110 psi on both needles.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
papabear

Default brake leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheavn View Post
Charlie,
I went in my coach yesterday & checked the brake air supply gauge. My coach was last started & run three weeks ago & the gauge still reads 110 psi on both needles.
steve i spent most of the day draining water seperator and air tank full of water, compresor on the generator what does that supply air to
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
rheavn

Charlie,
Hopefully you located all of your air tanks & got them drained. On my coach I have 8 air tanks to drain. Since your tanks were full of water I would check all of them with an ultrasonic leak detector to make sure they have remained air tight. You haven't filled out your profile so I don't know where in the country you are located, but if you are near Branson, MO I could check them for you.
Part of being a new owner of a Newell is learning how no two Newells are the same. I do not have an air compressor in the generator bay. My 110V air compressor(marked as a Jun-Air 500) is located next to the generator blower in the 1st basement bay on the passenger side. Yours may be located in the generator bay. I haven't plumbed the pump out, but I believe it provides air to the entire air system. I base this on the fact that when I had the leak at the air brake pedal valve my 110V compressor ran every ten minutes. Once I fixed the leak my compressor runs about twice in a 24 hr period. How often does your 110V air compressor run? This will give one an idea of the severity of a leak problem.

Hope this helps......................
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
RussWhite

Steve,

Would you post the locations of your eight? I have not been diligent in finding and draining.
Thanks,
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
papabear

compressor goes on about 2 times 24 hr not to bad. i have not done my profile or posted pic i did what you told me cant get pic to post
i am not computer lit, i live in new bedford ma summer time
port saint lucie fl winter time i have an apple computer mabe thats the probleam