Basement A/C unit replacements - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
gbuss

Default Basement A/C unit replacements

Hello all,

I have a 1990 42' with four basement units. Only one (the only original unit) of them is currently making any cold air. I have come to find out that someone prior to my ownership had purchased three LG window a/c units, separated the condenser halves from the evaporator sides, painted them black, and plumbed them into the bays in place of the original units. Obviously this has not produced satisfactory results. I have seen condensing units for commercial applications (mainly walk in coolers and freezers) for sale on E-bay that look like they would work and fit well the bays, but I do not know enough about how the system works to know which unit (if any) would be a good choice. So I have several questions:

1) Are any of these commercial units viable as a replacement for the basement units in my coach.

2) Which refrigerant would be the best choice? (the units are all designed to work with a specific type and I don't know what was original and if I need to stay with that or if a different type would be a better choice)

3) These units are mostly rated by the hp of the motor not the btu rating of the unit. How would I select the proper size unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

George Buss

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
Dmatz

George

This is a bad deal. You need to stay with the same refrigerant as the metering device or expansion valve is on the evaporator or indoor blower unit. They must match meaning the HP of the condenser needs to match the evaporator size. I believe but am not sure they are R22 refrigerantT and made by cruise air. I am sure someone with more knowledge can identify the manufacture. The air flow or the ability for the condenser to exhaust heat is critical. That being said as mismatched as your current situation may be you may just have a ventilation issue. I would recommend replacing both indoor and outdoor components together. Verify the current tubing is the correct size with the manufacturer and if the refrigerant is the same you are good if not they make a flush kit to flush out the oils as they are not compatible. Hope this helps.

Shelter Island NY
Dmatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
gbuss

Thanks Doug,

That is kind of what I was thinking that I need to be carefull to match the new parts carefully to the old evaporators. I feel like a salmon swimming upstream. As much as I wanted to keep my roof clear maybe just putting in roof airs is the way to go.

Hey how do you like your Flex as a toad? My wife and I really like them, but I wasn't sure how one would work out being flat towed (or do you use a dolly/trailer?)
Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #4
Dmatz

George

We love our Flex it is our second one we had our first one 5 years towed it 60k miles. Hook it up put it in neutral and go. It does need to be AWD to to 4 wheels down. We feel it is the best car we have had.
Shelter Island NY
Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Dmatz

Roof air's do have their upside. The cost to replace is not much when looking at the cost to repair your current type system. Not sure what all is involved for the structure and air distribution after the fact.
Shelter Island NY