Non HD sat dish with a HD TV? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
WildCat

Default Non HD sat dish with a HD TV?

can you use a STANDARD (NON HD) Sat dish with a HD flat screen TV? If so, does it effect the picture quality? Thanks, WildCat

WildCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Will Procter

An HD dish with an HD tv. No problem. A non HD dish with an HD tv will also work, but you won't have an HD picture.

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
GORDON HUMMEL

I'm only familiar with Dish TV, which uses 3 satalites; 110, 119 & HD is on 129. I think the receiver, not the dish determines if you you can receive HD. My dish has 3 LNB's one aimed @ each satailite. Earlier dishs had 1 or 2 LNB for use with non HD programing. I guess if you aimed a single LNB dish @ 129 you could get if the receiver allowed?
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Newell Boss

it's not the dish itself but the receiver that is HD or SD (non-HD). I believe for both DishNetworks and DirecTV, the HD dish just allows you to tune to multiple dishes at once but the 'non-HD' dishes will still be able to receive HD signals, the dish will have to move for different stations.
Newell Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Vantare

Since analog TV has been turned off, you can only get digital and High Def. If you have a digital antenna, you can use it on your HD TV. It just won't perform the same. Some people can't tell the difference, but most can see the difference in HD which has more lines of resolution. So the answer to your question is, YES. It will be better than analog, but not as good as HD.

Cannondale Slice 5 Bike

2006 Prevost Vantare’ Double Slide

Steve & Annie
Vantare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
NewellCrazy

Yes, you can use the SD antenna BUT, be sure that when you go through the set-up procedure with your DirecTV box that you specify the exact type of antenna that you are using, like an 18" round, one LNB. Once you do that, the box will make all of the changes necessary to watch the available programs on your TV. Obviously you are not going to receive the channels that are broadcast in HD only but you will be able to get most of the channels in SD. Enjoy.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
GORDON HUMMEL

In addition to my dish, I installed a HD antenna in place of the batwing on my old original antenna.
When I'm in an area that I can get HD on my antenna, it is a much better picture than thru the dish on the same channel. I was told that this is because the dish broadcast is compressed.
As a side note, if you have your antenna wired through the dish receiver you will NOT notice a difference! I have a splitter that goes to the TV & the dish receiver.
As a second side note, If you have a DishTV 622 or 722 NOT "K" model receiver, you can record two dish channels AND an OTA channel at the same time.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
David Carrol

With DirecTV, to receive HD, you do need a new 'HD' dish (i.e. won't work with the old inmotion domes). However, with DishNetworks, you can still get HD with the 'SD' dish (e.g. older inmotion domes) - the dish will just have to be moved for some stations. They also do have newer multi-LNB dishes that don't require the dish to move when you switch from some stations to other (e.g. SD channel to HD channel)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
jdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON HUMMEL View Post
In addition to my dish, I installed a HD antenna in place of the batwing on my old original antenna.
When I'm in an area that I can get HD on my antenna, it is a much better picture than thru the dish on the same channel. I was told that this is because the dish broadcast is compressed.
As a side note, if you have your antenna wired through the dish receiver you will NOT notice a difference! I have a splitter that goes to the TV & the dish receiver.
As a second side note, If you have a DishTV 622 or 722 NOT "K" model receiver, you can record two dish channels AND an OTA channel at the same time.
Ahh. Coach 266.....built right before my 267. Still loving it.

jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote