Learning gauges on my front panel help please! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Learning gauges on my front panel help please!

Hello, we finally picked up our 2001 Newell # 582 and drove all the way from Miami OK. to the Northwest. Very nice drive, we love it so much and my wife can't wait to drive it, she actually drives more than me! We had a 26' coach before stepping up to this 45 footer.

I have some questions regarding the front driver's panel. There are so many gauges and would love to find out (in english) what are the safe ranges to stay within for each gauge (or where to find out this information).

Here they are:

Volts: 8-16

VDO: 0-30 PSI

Brake Air: 10- 150

Supply PSI: 10-150

Tran Temp: 120- 300 Oil

HYD Temp: 120-300 Oil

Water: 100 - 250

PSI ??? Not sure what is that one: 0-80 Oil

While we drive the ABS light is on but we heard that is a common problem, is that the case?
Also the Level light is on while traveling - what does that mean?

Thanks you for answering any of my questions.

Best Regards,

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 # 582

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
rheavn

Les & Cheryl,
Congratulations on your new coach. I'm sure you are thrilled and you will love it!

I guess Newell would be the ultimate source for what the safe range on your gauges are, but I'll give you a base line by sharing what my gauges run. The analog gauges in our coaches are notoriously poor and somewhat unreliable. I had the same gauges in my Country Coach and their performance was similar to the Newell. If good gauges are important a Silverleaf setup is far better.

Volts:12 to 13 volts normally. Occasionally it will read slightly above 13 volts

VDO 0-30psi: VDO is the gauge maker. This gauge is your turbo boost gauge. If you can drive with the needle as close to zero as possible you will maximize your fuel mileage.

Brake Air: Your coach has two large air tanks that serve the brake system. This gauge has two needles-one red, one white. These needles are normally close to each other and vary between 90 & 120 psi, but not always together.

Supply Air: Your coach has air tanks that service things like your toilet, pocket doors, genset slide, etc. This gauge is normally between 90 & 120 psi

Trans Temp: This gauge measures the trans temp and normally runs a little below 200. In pulling up I-70 toward Denver it rose to 200 degrees & held steady. My understanding is that concern starts when it goes above 230 degrees.

Hyd Temp: This gauge measures the hydraulic oil temp that runs the radiator fan and power steering. This gauge normally runs just above 120 degrees. On 100+ days I have seen a slight increase but not much.

Water: This gauge measures the engine coolant temp and mine normally runs between 180 degrees on cool days to 195 degrees on hot days. Some times you will see the gauge start to rise slightly & then go back down when the radiator fan kicks on. I have had the same reliability issue with this gauge on my Newell as I did on my CC. Every once in a while the gauge will get up close to 220 degrees. If I hit the gauge with my finger it readjusts down to the normal 195 degrees. When this has happened I have verified the radiator temp with an infrared heat gun as 195 degrees.

PSI: This is your oil pressure gauge. On my coach it will go up to 40 psi when I first start the coach & then settle in slightly lower. After a run on the Interstate and I come to an idle it will go as low as 10 psi.

Hope this helps......................

Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Steve,
Thanks nyou so mmuch! Super Tips!
owning 26' RV was not much to woory about. Here we both reading manuals and trying tom understand the coach!

We were on the buisness trip to S Dakota and picked our coach from private seller at teh Newell plant , spend few days there! very nice people , we dropped over 6000$ so they should like us even more.. haha!
Will write the wvarges down so I have good gage what to look for !

Best regards.
Les
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
RussWhite

Steve,

Good job!

But I do see you skipped one question

"Also the Level light is on while traveling - what does that mean? "

I have wanted to ask that question for a long time, but never did. That may be the only indicator I do not have a clue as to what it means. I presently pay no attention to it, but if someone does know, I would sure be interested. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
rheavn

Russ & Les,
You are right I did miss that question and that is an important light. The GREEN travel light on the HWH control pad should be the only light on when you release your emergency brake and are ready to move the coach. The GREEN travel light must be lit before you move the coach although it doesn't mean that you are totally aired up to ride height. If any of the red or yellow lights are lit after you release the emergency brake or while driving you have a problem which is usually low pressure in an air bag. With my last coach I had to limp to a rest area a couple of times when a height control valve failed.
ABS light comes on when the system is not working. On my coach there is a reset switch in the 1st basement bay on the driver's side. Might try that.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
RussWhite

Steve,

That may have been the light Les was asking about, but it is not the level light I am asking about. The light I am puzzled over is one on the annunciator panel and in my case on the top row far right and it just says LEVEL. Please see the attached pictures. Sorry about the camera movement but I wanted to show it illuminated.

So - what does it mean?

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Level_Light (1) (Medium).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Level_Light (2) (Medium).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1161  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Steve & Russ
Yes , I do have the same light "level" on while in driving mode, not sure what is mean? I should call Mike at Newell after I have my entire page filled up with qestions, ha, ha! still new with everything!

I would think that light tel you that your are level to travel but again i am puzzled with it! also ABS brakes lights is on , will try to reset the setting in the bay area!

I also have small bay ( on the right site of the engine ) with bunch of electronics, there is small inverter like ( blue color ) and next to it small switch says : Foreigner / Americam it is set to Foreigner , I have to figured out what is that switch for?

Thanks again for your help,

Les
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
rheavn

Les,
I have the same Foreigner/American switch in the stainless steel cabinet on the right side of the engine bay. Mine is switched to "American". I don't have a clue what it is for.

Les & Russ,
The dash light that says "level", as pictured, on my coach goes out once the suspension is aired up and both slides are locked in and ready to travel.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
RussWhite

Steve and Les,

This is an assumption - but from a little wire tracing I believe the Foreign/American switch is supposed to be set to the position that matches how the brake and turn signal lights are configured on your towed vehicle. In the "foreign" position Newell expects the turn signals are separate from the brake lights, and in the "american" position they are one and the same.

I will watch my "level light" more carefully and see if it goes out when Steve's does.

Les, your ABS light should go out when you exceed about 5mph or so. If it is staying on that is a problem and could very well mean the ABS portion of your braking system will not work at all. I would put that one near the top of your lest to get fixed.
Russ
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
rheavn

Thanks Russ,
Never did know what that switch meant, but your explanation makes sense and for what I tow it is right.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Barry Rooker

On my 2001 coach, the level light stays on as I always run with the Override switch thrown. This switch is in the bay immediately under the driver and overrides the interlock between the slides & the transmission to prevent driving the coach if the slides aren't detected being properly stowed. Too easy for my coach to "think" the slides are still out and not allow the Allison to go from Neutral to Drive, the indicator panel will just blink D D D D D D instead of going into Drive. So I de-activate this detection by throwing the Override switch.....permanently. The level light stays on as a result.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
RussWhite

My Dad sat down on the couch in my salon slideout and looked out the forward facing window and remarked, "This is going to be a great view - I'll sit right here while you drive". Hated to have to tell him that for his safety we would have to pull the slide in while we drove :-)
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
leskorcala@hotmail.com

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESONDS GUYS!
Again, we talked to the guys at Newell and they said :
Level on all the time means:
That when we Pull the slideouts , we actually did not pull them all the way in! they have to stop on its own ! so the sensor is sending warning light that slide outs are not all the way in! Belive or not , thay are all in, I ca tell by looking at the floor and the walls , but again its the sensor, its make us sleep at night! we tought we had another problem with the slide!

After buying the coach , the seller was showing us how to put the slide back in using key etc..after few inches , big sound and burst of liquid errupted in the air , we stopped rightaway! ran out case the fumes were strong! Outsite under the slide we found huge pothole of transmission fluid!

We had to wait 5 days since the holiday to get it fied, we have hoped for the quick fix, but they ended up removing entire front slide! all the full day work for small " pinch hole " in the liquid hose! Hose got pinched in between the sissors slide out frame !!! it was mess, inside and out and $1200 repair, thank God it happen at the Newell's parking lot.

They ( mechanics ) were right on it and Mike was great manager to work with! we bought new engine battery and went on the road, Met lots of great people camping in the parking lot!

Best,
les
Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
RussWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by leskorcala@hotmail.com View Post
THANKS FOR ALL THE RESONDS GUYS!
Again, we talked to the guys at Newell and they said :
Level on all the time means:
That when we Pull the slideouts , we actually did not pull them all the way in! they have to stop on its own ! so the sensor is sending warning light that slide outs are not all the way in! Belive or not , thay are all in, I ca tell by looking at the floor and the walls , but again its the sensor, its make us sleep at night! we tought we had another problem with the slide!
les
Les,

Not entirely sure what you are saying Les. Is this correct - Newell says the LEVEL light on the dash should go out when the slides are properly IN for travel - but you are saying yours are porperly IN all the way but the light stays on. Is that right?

Thanks for sharing on the pinched hose - what if you had not been at Newell - scary! Russ
Old 10-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default Slide not all the way in

The problem with level light , was that slide was not all the way in ( mean , the slide out frame did not stop at the end of its travel ) sensor will sense that and will set the light on!
When we owned another slide out RV we would hold the switch till make the gear noise that was it! here its diferent way!

There is overide switch ( normally can be overide in case of emergancy travel with slide out out ) but we did not have to use it!

Our case is simply in say milimeter diference where won't efect anything ! is just the switch is so sensative and the light its on! Again, that is what i was told by Newell mechanic! Funy ! but its my wife who do the slides , so I dont have exatly idea how they stop ? we just bought the coach drove hard 3000 miles from Miami , pulled slides about half dozen times !
I remeber that some days light was on and some day was off! so I know that we were not pulling them entirly all the way in! but again visually they were all the way in! from mechanical point of view Not!

I hope I make that clearer, Sorry English is my second to Euro speaking!

Best,
Les
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
RussWhite

Les,

I think I understand now. Sometimes the light goes out when you pull the slides in, and sometimes it does not.
When Newell went over the coach's operation with me they never mentioned the LEVEL light and just suggested I hold the Extend or Retract switch down for an extra 10 seconds after the slide had mechanically reached the final position as time to allow the locking cylinders to move into place. Your wife may just not be holding the switch for that extra time after the slide has stopped moving.

Your English is fantastic. You have no idea how much respect I have for anyone able to add another language to their abilities. I was transferred to a French speaking country in Africa and found how truly difficult it was.

So glad you are on the forum and always feel free to ask questions - just don't assume you will always get the right answers, but we will try
Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #17
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWhite View Post
Les,

I think I understand now. Sometimes the light goes out when you pull the slides in, and sometimes it does not.
When Newell went over the coach's operation with me they never mentioned the LEVEL light and just suggested I hold the Extend or Retract switch down for an extra 10 seconds after the slide had mechanically reached the final position as time to allow the locking cylinders to move into place. Your wife may just not be holding the switch for that extra time after the slide has stopped moving.

Your English is fantastic. You have no idea how much respect I have for anyone able to add another language to their abilities. I was transferred to a French speaking country in Africa and found how truly difficult it was.

So glad you are on the forum and always feel free to ask questions - just don't assume you will always get the right answers, but we will try
Russ,
Thank you, I will mention my wife about the slide delay time , its all makes sense to be safe than have thsi light on you dash and worries!

I am finnding there will be so much to learn about our coach it will take life time! ha, ha! but again the more you live in it , the more you get to know it!

I am in process plaining on replacing the front TV, i pulled the old one! my goodness its was hard, so heavy and tight fit betwen the entry etc. glad I got that monster out of the coach!
I still leaning to fit the 42" in my coach, I have to coverup 4" on each side of the two compartement shelfs where the DVd player and some other components are , but its doable! I will get the mounting bracket first , mount it and attach the cardboard size templet of the flat panel and play with it see how fits etc.

it will be good fall project for sure!