Buying a Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
pdparson

Default Buying a Newell

Hi All;

We are in the process of buying a 1995 Newell with 138,000 miles with a 4D Deck motor with 33, 000 miles.

I called Newell and gave then the Vin and they said they were VERY familiar with the coachs former owners as they were avid Newell owners and had a mechanical repair center for Newell.

So I am soooooo excited. I would love to get an extended warranty and am having absolutely no luck, anyone have any ideas??

The Coach has always been kept indoors, the tires are 2007 and 2010, have absolutely no checks or cracks and look brand new...are they safe?

Are there Newell groups anyone knows of?? We are in the Midwest.

Thanks we are very new to this as we had a Monaco Diplomat and now are going to a Newell with no slides...

With no slides, do you find it is enough room not to kill your spouse?? lol..

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Pat
pdparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
pdparson

Oh, one more thing, we are wanting side cameras or collison avoidance, where can we get these done?? When I call a MH agency they moan and groan and say, we are not sure we can do this, those things are wiring nightmares. Bring it in when you get it and we will look at it.Acccccccck!!
thanks again

Pat
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
rheavn

Pat,
Welcome to the Newell family & the forum. You will find this a fantastic source of information and help. There is not many things that some one here hasn't done.

Not sure where you are in the midwest, but I have found the factory service department to be outstanding. They do every thing from preventative maintenance to a total update. Every thing I have had them do has been done in "Newell quality". Newell's service rate is less than a bus service center I have used here in Branson. When you take your coach to the factory you will deal with techs who know how your coach is wired and won't be experimenting on your dime. As to Newells being wiring nightmares--hogwash. This is my 5th different brand coach and working on my Newell has been the easiest.

I have owned coaches without slides and my same wife is still alive! We didn't go to slides because we were irritated from not having enough room, we just liked the idea of having a little more room. Slides are just a personal choice.

Newell advises changing the front tires every three years and the rears every five years. Looking at the outside of a tire is not a great way to evaluate a tire on an rv. You have no way to know if these great looking tires were ran with low air pressure, have interior rot, or how they were treated. Having suffered tire failures over 30+ years of rving I no longer take chances.

Putting side cameras on a Newell has been discussed. Might try a topic search if you are going to install them your self, otherwise call Newell.

Never had an extended warranty on any of my coaches, but I'm sure some one may know a source.

I'm sure you will be as thrilled with your new Newell, as we still are after two years. We can't wait to get back out in our Newell as we are currently in storage.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
pdparson

Steve;

Thank you so much!! I am thrilled to hear you still have the same wife, ! As I am the wife..

THanks for the info on the tires, is there a way to actually check this?? We are picking it up in Quartzsite and live in Missouri...anyone know of a good place to get them checked or replaced in that area??

Once we get the coach I am sure we will have a ton of questions!!! Where exactly is the factory for service and repairs??

Best and thanks

Pat
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
encantotom

welcome to the gang!

as for the extended warranty, with a 1995 the extended warranty is either you, your wallet or both. most of us do alot of the things ourselves as it can be pretty pricey to hire it all out.

in my 1990 i put the jensen color rear camera and color side cameras with the hd split lcd monitor. talk to tim at rvcams.com. very good prices and great products and support.

as for newell groups, this is the one and only.....

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
encantotom

having said that we all help each other a ton. clarkes coach is out front right now as they are hanging with us for a while. i will help him rebuild his leveling valves, put in a fridge etc. we also call each other and help with problems.

dont be afraid to ask questions.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
encantotom

this sounds like the 95 that was white and green outside that was for sale in apache junction az. i went and looked that one for fun.

nice coach.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome,

Since we have a 95, I think we will become fast friends. Slides, sold slide coach and bought no slide Newell, never missed the space. The no slide coaches are laid out differently so we didn't really miss the space, even when traveling with two teenagers.

As far as extended warranty, I would guess you won't find one on a 95 Newell. You are in the right place for stuff you want to tackle, and if within distance of Miami take it to the factory for the big stuff. My warranty is by Richard, and it costs about 3000 a year.

Tell us about yourself. It will help to understand your background, your mechanical and electrical hands on skill level, and what things you DIY on your Monaco, and what things you paid others to handle. There is no judgement in the questions. The members on this forum span the range of DIY desires.

I can assure you that this forum will help. Use the search engine to look for topics that might have been covered before.

If you get in a jam 817 tututhree 2056 ; email richard.entrekinATalconlabs.com

Please don't call after 10 pm EST, I am an early to bed guy.

The learning curve is steep but not hard.

I'll warn you in advance, although Newells are among the most well engineered and constructed coaches it is typical in buying a new to you coach to have to invest some time and money to bring it up to snuff. The previous owners only put enough in it recently to get it sold. Point being, don't get discouraged or think you bought a lemon because you have to fix some stuff.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
rheavn

Pat,
As you can already tell there are some great people on this site who will go out of their way to help you. The Newell factory is located in Miami, Oklahoma on North Highway 69 1-888-3Newell. Let them know that you now own the coach & they will sign you up for the Newell motorcoach club which has events throughout the year. You'll also get a newsletter occasionally that will update you on Newell news. Miami is in the n/e corner of the state. I too live in Missouri. I'm in the Branson area. Are you any where close? If so I can point you toward some tire folks.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
HoosierDaddy

Welcome Pat!
Rear and side cameras are not difficult to install. You should not need to get involved with the factory wiring at all. Good luck with your Newell!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
pdparson

thank You everyone, we are picking the coach up in a week or two, we are In Memphis Missouri on the Iowa Border...We are both older in our late 60s and are realtors.

We are very excited and cannot wait to get it. Unfortunately, this is absolutely the busiest time of the year for us and my poor husband is going crazy trying to keep up with all the farm sales.

THe Newell is in Quartzsite and we are most likely going to fly out and pick it up.

By the way our number is 392....

My husband has worked on cars for years and stopped when things got computerized and he got so busy, so I would say, we will have to pay to have things done on it.

Cannot wait to get my hands on it!! Will keep everyone posted...

thanks again for all the kind words and help!!

Best

Pat
1995 42' Newell #392
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Richard and Rhonda

Pat,

We have 390. If he worked on cars before computers then he will be fine. The only computers on the rig are the controller for the engine and tranny. They are practically bullet proof. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Manuals for all the systems are typically online.

The original post had a question about tires. First of all, their is no definite answer. I would look carefully at the tires. Tiny cracks in the sidewalls are somewhat expected. If they catch your fingernail, then I would go to a reputable tire shop and get their opinion before undertaking a long trip. Tires that are driven frequently hold up better than ones that just sit, but who knows until you see the coach.

Do your self a favor and search the forum for front tire threads. The Newells of our vintage run pretty close to the load rating of the tire and it's important that the front is fitted with the proper load range tire. There is also a metric upgrade for our fronts that provides a little more weight carrying margin. It's not a worry matter, just something that you need to spend some time understanding.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
Neweller

Pat to the Newell talk forum!

We are also in the Midwest only a few hours away from you. Practically neighbors! Look forward to meeting you folks. I reiterate what others have said here. You are now part of our Newell family and have found a wealth of information here at your finger tips.

Don't be afraid to holler at me if you need anything!
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
prairieschooner

I second stopping by Tom's Coach Works in Mesa, AZ!! He would at the very least be able to help identify issues and most likely help to come up with the solution to a problem.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
pdparson

You guys are so awesome, Thanks for all the information. We are not sure we are picking the coach up, they have to pick up another one near here and may deliver it.

Tom, do you have a business there?? My Brother also named Tom lived in Mesa and then Chandler, he worked for the special olympics there as program director..

Will post more as we know what is going on....
thanks again

Pat
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
encantotom

hi,

i have a day job like most people working for a large company. (i am not a professional mechanic). i use a great bus shop that can do engine servicing and and just about anything bus wise.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
chockwald

Pat, hope your purchase goes well! I've had my coach for 4 years, and I have learned a lot!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #18
pdparson

We are excited and hoping to do exactly that!! Will holler as soon as we have things in motion!!

Thanks so very much!!

Pat
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
pdparson

As a sorta kinda typical female, I want a dishwasher, the large drawer type, since we have large dogs, I want a central vac system..

I would like top rope lights and I would like to replace the new carpet with tile or wood or a high grade laminate or tile...

the Male man boss, wants outside window and tire covers, we have them from our Monaco and Know that they most like will not fit at all..we want a bay freezer and camping worlds prices are ridiculous..any ideas on th

Or shoot, side cameras, front rear...we are older and need all the safety we can get..I would say the side, front and rear cameras are a must..and first on the agenda..

I emailed Tim and frankly I do not have the info he needs to help me out..we would like to combine a nav system with it..it this possible??

Also we are bringing a Direct tv box that is active..they said the satellite was in working order, supposed all system are in excellent working order......

Can any of you think of anything I have forgotten to put on our list?? I may tow the boat down, so the guys can fish and then store it and have some clients who have a truck company bring it back on a light load...

thanks so much any ideas appreciated!!

We are genuinely hoping to to fish lake Alamo a week and then head your way...not sure if that will happen as our time is in our clients hands...

also, is there a class for wives to learn to drive this coach anywhere, my husband and are are deeply in love and have boundaries and respect those, one is driving, we agree to disagree..

I want to learn to drive the Newell well and over come my fear of its size, the Monaco diplomat we had was an issue. I want him to know That I can take over some of the driving...or in an emegency can handle the job comfortably!!

Anything you can think of for a maiden voyage, let me know!!!!! You people are absolutely the best!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
pdparson

Any one have any experience with THousand trails?? We have a very old member ship that we bought for a song on resale in 05. It is a Platnium something membership and I will check that out on Monday when I call.. I went to the board and saw no one I knew from back in the day and lots of changes..
Best
you are the best
Pat