cruise control sensor adjustment - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #1
encantotom

Red face cruise control sensor adjustment

hi all,

on the drive last week to new mexico, my cruise control, which had always been rock solid, started to cut in and out a little. very noticable. i called and talked to tommy in service at newell and he suggested i adjust the cruise control sensor on the driveshaft.

so, i used the air bags to lift the rear of the coach as far as it would go, used 2 twenty ton bottle jacks to support the back to keep it up if the air cut out of the air bags.

i believe this applies to all the 8v92 ddec engines at least. once the series 60 was used, it used an electronic version and not these sensors.

there is a ring on the driveshaft right behind the transmission. the drive shaft on mine is dinky because i dont have a tag axle.

there are two sensors on the ring. the ring has holes in it and looks like a disk brake on a motorcycle.

the sensor on the top (of course, where it is much more difficult to get at) is the cruise control. tommy said it has two yellow wires (with blue and green stripe). the sensor on the bottom is the speedometer sensor and has white wires with the same stripes as the other.

it has a large lock nut in front and back of the sensor. tommy said to adjust it to 30 thousandths, and the cruise one was way tighter than that. so i adjusted it to what he said and tightened the lock nuts back up. it was really rusty, so i used some penetrating oil on it to help. i am a big guy and it was not real easy to get up in there. i crawled underneath, sat up as much as i could around the drive shaft. very close quarters.

beneath are 3 pictures. one of the entire area, one of the sensor before i did anything other than clean the wires off to see what color they were and the final one after adjustment and cleaning it up.

wont know if it fixed it until i hit the road later this week. will give an update then.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
encantotom

i drove the coach the last couple of days and i am happy to report aht the adjusting of the cruise control sensor fixed my problem. at least it worked the last two days of driving it with the cruise.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
chockwald

Tom, you're our hero....thanks for the great pix.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote