FlyingJ / Pilot Travel Center - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Technical Exchange > General Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default FlyingJ / Pilot Travel Center

This is to advise anyone interested in my recent experience at FlyingJ/Pilot. Some time ago FlyingJ went into bankruptcy and was acquired by Pilot - based out of Knoxville, TN. FlyingJ was know in the RV community for being "RV Friendly" and a place where one could purchase fuel in a high volume station somewhat assuring fresh fuel. RVs could use the truckers lanes and the high flow pumps. It was always a moving target as to how to pay and get the small discount. There was even a time when Visa was refused and other cards accepted. Well, it is far worse now.

The discount card that I had with FlyingJ was no longer honored by Pilot/FlyingJ and they required another. I jumped through the hoops, even going to a FlyingJ to have it "activated" before the big trip west. It was called the "Frequent Fuel Advantage" Card and had the word RV written sideways on the right front of the card. I was my practice to use Pilot's web site to search for diesel prices and stop where it was best for me. I used strictly locations that had been FlyingJ previously and was even successful at completing the entire transaction at the pump. It worked like this - insert my Visa, then when prompted, insert the "loyalty card" which was the "Frequent Fueler Card" , enter zip code, enter 0 for truck number, and then I was authorized to pump. If I didn't want a receipt I could then drive away. I assumed I was getting some little discount, but didn't really check closely.

Then while driving north on I5 I looked for a FlyingJ, but found only Pilots which now indicated they had some RV lanes ( which I don't use ) and had a posted price of $3.499 / gal. The web site showed 9 trucking lanes and I pulled in. I used my normal sequence but was prompted for a new piece of information, the name for which I cannot remember. I was something like "fuel activation number". I picked up the phone at the pump and told them I was a private RV driver and asked what I was supposed to do at that prompt. They said, "Put in 58". So I entered 58 and the pump said see cashier. I called again and was told I would need to come inside. In I went and presented my Visa and they wanted to know how many dollars. So I asked them to pre-authorize $500. They pecked around awhile on the computer as I was holding out my "FF Advantage Card". They started over again and then a guy came up and said "Those cards done work anymore", took it and tossed it in the trash. He handed me a flyer and said apply for the "new" card.

I pumped my fuel and as that was being done I decided I wanted my card back. I asked my daughter to go inside and request the card be returned. I stayed at the pump and before it stopped, she returned and said they would not give it back. The pump stopped at exactly $400 - they had only authorized that amount, not what I had requested. I went back in and asked for my card back. I was firm and they finally dug it out of the trash. I received a receipt for the transaction. Now I see I was charged $3.859 and the web site still says diesel there is $3.499. I know, buyer beware, but I am letting you all know you might beware of Pilot.
Now the new card they want me to use is a card to be used in place of ones credit card and if you are not a Good Sam member you will be charged a $25 fee for the card and "given" a Good Sam membership.
Now maybe, just maybe, this is just a problem with the Pilot stations, not the stations that were previously FlyingJ - but I doubt it.

Please add any experiences you have with Pilot/FlyingJ to this thread. I hope mine is an isolated event. This was at the Pilot Travel Center Store 391 at 1600 East Pine Street, in Central Point, OR on July 3, 2012.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps others in the future.
Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote