DIY- Do It Yourself Annual Aqua-Hot System Servicing Help? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default DIY- Do It Yourself Annual Aqua-Hot System Servicing Help?

Hello,
I wanted to ask anyone if would be difficult to do annual service of your A Hot system?
I found the good parts source here: Parts.RV Hydronic Heater Repair

Since we stored all winter and ran the heater it would be good to get it serviced! or perhaps i COULD DO IT MYSELF.

Someone posted one time that they had service manual for that system would love to get it copy if is okay!

I noticed that when you want to take shower we only get warm water on the cool side ! our A Hot would be at 198-201 F but still no hot water, is there jets or perhaps heads need to be flush clean and some parts replaced. Original owner said that we want to have A Hot at about 195F or higher to take hot shower.

Our coach is 2001 two slides.

Thank you for any tips you might have for us.

Les & Cheryl Korcala
Newell 2001 #582 2 slides

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Stylin Monster

Hi Les,

On my coach I had two separate issues that affected the shower temperature. First was the "cartridge" in the control handle (Grohe) of the shower. It has a little spring in it that is affected by temperature. It allows me to set a desired temperature regardless of the temp being generated by Aquahot. It had "worn out" and needed to be replaced. Talk to Newell, or get a part number and order online.

The other was the aqua hot mixing valve. It is a valve with a little black handle up under your Wesbasto unit. Mine needed to be replaced as well. It also is temperature "activated". I think that there have been several posts regarding this valve. (This is an inexpensive part, but you have to remove webasto to get to it).

Others can chime in on the annual service. (I had mine done by Newell).

Big rigs a rollin' Hot Damn!
Stylin Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

I attached the instructions for the annual service for your AquaHot. You are getting your parts from the same place I get mine. In fact the instructions are from that web site. The only thing I would add is when you have the burner unit out, exercise the mixing valve. I have attached pictures of the mixing valve. If it won't turn you will need to replace the guts. If it does turn, keep track and put it back to where you started. The AquaHot mixing valve allows for 120 degree water. I would guess your warm water issue is a bad mixing valve at the AquaHot and/or the mixing valve at the Grohe shower unit.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]
[PDF]http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/attachments/hvac/2236d1335214772-diy-do-yourself-annual-aqua-hot-system-servicing-help-annual-service-checklist-roger-berke-revised-12-2009.pdf[/PDF]

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Thanks guys for the quick replay! that is what I wanted to hear & also thank you Sean for Rogers guide to replacing parts , I think I can do it with no problem!

Wife mentioned that our water comes lukewarm from both places (kitchen sink and the shower) so I would eliminate the temp shower handle. it seems like we might need some some parts around the burner? I was detailing rear part of the engine and there is big gray color coolant bottle (sorry We are still learning about this coach anyway), there is small glass tube with coolant indicator , top portion of it is broken open ! look's like the coolant is about 1' from the bottom portion of the indicator tube, I should replace that part and of course top up the coolant since looks way low! Is this in our Radiator's main coolant? I think it is!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
rheavn

Les,
Yes the large grey tank is your engine coolant tank.

If all the hot water in your coach is only luke warm I suspect the mixing valve in the AquaHot will need a rebuild.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
encantotom

this thread reminded me that my hot water was not real hot. i had bought a complete watts 70a mixing valve for parts a while back so i took out the webasto tonite and replaced the guts on the mixing valve. the old valve was only turning partially and was mostly gunked up. the new guts worked great and though i am still adjusting to get the temp i want, it is a lot hotter now. an easy way to tell if the mixing valve is not passing enough hot water is to heat the aquahot up to temp and run some hot water. then feel the incoming hot water line out of the aquahot going into the mixing valve. it should be really hot so be careful. then feel the line coming out of the mixing valve (it will have a red arrow on it going away from the mixing valve). that line should be fairly hot too. if it is only lukewarm the valve is not adjusted to the right temp or most likely need the guts replaced.

a tip is that you dont have to take the fuel lines off of the webasto. just take the electrical connectors off (a single red wire and the two plugs on the control box) and slide the control box off (be careful with it cause it is real real expensive) and then loosen the two 10mm nuts on the two swinging holders on the unit. use a long extension with a deep well 10mm socket and you can feel and get them loose. then swing the bolts up. i then took the webasto out carefully and tied it up with some wire to keep it out of the way with the fuel lines still connected.

that gave me plenty of room to get at the mixing valve and take the guts out and replace it with the new one.

another tip is to mark the edge of the mixing valve so you can remember which way is hotter and colder...

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
encantotom

btw, the gray coolant tank that is made by

Arize Technologies
5837 S 36th St, Phoenix

(602) 253-3664

the tube on mine was broken as well so i got a new one and hose and cap for the tank from the owner. it is a small business and he is very nice.

darlene and i went to his house to pick it up.

later

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Thanks for great tips and suggestions , will be ordering parts soon and working on it!

We have only 2 months left and traveling for 5 years in our coach and need to take care of the services and repairs!

Best,
Les
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Neweller

Les, before going out and buying parts, try this procedure and if it doesn't help then order parts.

Aqua-Hot Mixing Valve Adjustment Procedures:

If your AquaHot starts producing water that is only lukewarm, the following procedure will hopefully solve the problem:

1. Turn on the diesel burner and let it run until it shuts off automatically.

2. Take the cover off the AquaHot.

3. The mixing valve is located directly under the burner. It has a large black knob on it that has a red mark on it. Turn the valve counterclockwise (toward the tank) a quarter turn. Check to see if the water is hot.

4. If this does not work, turn the valve all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, bringing it back to its original position.

5. If this does not work, the mixing valve needs a new kit and it can be purchased from AquaHot for about $13.00
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
leskorcala@hotmail.com

That is perfect Ken, and thank you.

Les & Cheryl Korcala
Newell 2001 # 582 2 slides
Nissan Exterra 2007
Two Rhodesian Ridgeback
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek " Madone" bikes
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Jack Fouts

A lot of great information here by everyone.

Ken, that adjustment service idea really did the trick on my lukewarm water issue.

Thanks!

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote