Replacement Air Valves? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Dennis Wolfe

Default Replacement Air Valves?

I have a 1987 coach that has Skinner valves (V52DA2125) for controlling the suspension. Since they no longer make this valve, do you recommend using the Skinner replacement or some other brand?

Dennis Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
encantotom

hi dennis,

this one is a "up to you" kind of answer. i have had my 1990 coach since the summer of 2007. it has the manual leveling system that is a series of toggle switches on the center console. many others have the HWH control system. having said that, i believe at the air control block under the front bumper and on the back engine firewall that they are the same. they use a valve that is made by HWH and is readily available (though they are 80 bucks apiece). i have replaced 3 of them so far and keep a spare. they do seem to get weak over time and need to be replaced, though my experience has only been the past year. i dont believe that 3 a year is the failure rate as many of mine were old.

so, if you are positively sure you cannot find the valves you have, then you may be stuck. but there are many members here who have 1989 and back coaches that may be able to help you source those solenoid valves.

as far as i can tell, the air manifold that the valves screw into is just a block of aluminum and the cost of converting just that block would be the price of it, the price of the new solenoid valves and if you had to redo any fittings onto the manifold. but, i could be wrong.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Bannerman
Traveling

I have a 90 coach with air valves made by KIP Inc. # 6X325X and replacement by Newell was very expensive.

Rebuild kits by McElroy MFG Inc. in Oklahoma are twenty dollars and it doesn’t appear to be all that complicated.

Lewis
Bannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
86loco

I own an 86 Newell that needs a new valve to release the air for leveling I have not found a replacement please let me know if you have found a solution. If i find out first i will message you. I am surprised that Newell cannot recommend something. Do you know if the same valves are used for drive level control?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Neweller

I'll weigh on in with a couple of comments. The correct model KIP valve will replace the original Skinner valve. Also, the rebuild kit is a good choice if you do the work yourself (DIY). However, if you have to pay shop labor at Newell or elsewhere to do the rebuilding, the economics of the rebuild option will no longer make sense.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote