Options for Internet On The Road - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
MarkofSJC

Default Options for Internet On The Road

Hi, All!
I've searched the boards but haven't found a definitive answer to what I was looking for. The issue revolves around internet access. I know how easy it is to use a card and access internet through cell phone carriers - but what do you do when there's no cell phone receiption? I know many parks offer WIFI, but what do you do if you're working while on the road, but have no cell phone signal? If I can get regular, dependable internet access I may be able to work from the road much more easily (and frequently) than I can currently.

Any insight appreciated!

Mark

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Check out an in-motion satellite dish...I think the satellite program providers have internet service....I have never tried it though.

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
folivier

You can also install a wifi booster and use the park's wifi, or any other place with an open wifi. I installed a Ubiquiti Bullet that connects through a wireless router in my front cabinet. That way I connect to a wifi signal and other computers I give the passcode to can get a boosted signal. That gives me a much stronger signal where I couldn't connect before. Check out this post: http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1677
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
MarkofSJC

Wifi booster would work when we are camped, but not while traveling down the road, I'm afraid. Does anyone have experience with getting internet access through their satillite dish?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
RussWhite

I think you will find that for mobile internet connectivity the only game in town is cellular data systems. To my knowledge there are no satellite in motion options for internet data as that is by definition, a two way transmission and the size and power of a dish to uplink is presently just not practical.
The cellular systems provide great service and reasonable economy when within the footprint of a cellular provider. That siutation just gets better as the cell coverage increases.
But there are definitely places with no cellular coverage and if you want the internet there a stationary satellite either moutned on the roof or on a tripod will do the trick.
For a variety of reasons, satellite internet is less ideal than mobile broadband; it’s significantly more expensive, you can only access the internet when you’re stationary, and there can be latency issues and decreased download speeds during peak hours (4-10pm) or in inclement weather conditions.

My solution has been Verizon's MIFI 2200 and an unlimited data plan that I am grandfathered into. Since I am mobile if I find myself out of cell service, I just move
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
folivier

Here are 2 websites for your reading pleasure:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/communic...n%20the%20Road

http://www.internetanywhere.us/home.html
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
MarkofSJC

Dear Forest & Cindy,
Thanks VERY much for both these links! There are very thorough and complete! Additionally, it opens my eyes to other aspects I hadn't considered.