New Newell Owner in waiting. - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #31
Richard and Rhonda

One of the things we might want to consider is replacing ALL of the fuel lines with new. The ethanol that is now part of most of the gas we buy is tough on rubber fuel lines. The formulation of the lines changed slightly in recent years to make them more resistant to the ethanol. Not intending to add to your love list bit leaking fuel lines we give you a Big problem quick.

LOL, thinking about old VW's I had and the notorious leaking gas line on those jobs and the aftermath.........

CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle http://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #32
slateblue911

All of the fuel lines are copper except for the 2 foot section where it connects to the carb. When I first cranked it fuel ran out all over the engine. The seals in the bowl were obviously dry rotted. So I bought a carb that was meant to be the exact replacement. Well, It didn't work correctly either. So I made a trip to AutoZone a block away and they had a generic replacement. It fit great and worked great. Then halfway into the trip the fule pump locked up. It started blowing fuses. Replaced the pump and she just kept going.

By the way. From another post regarding the front suspension, It does have shocks.

If anyone has a request for a certain part of the coach I will be more than happy to photo it. I will be taking phots today.

http://www.newellclassic.com/gallery....php?album=145
slateblue911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #33
slateblue911

Photos are here: http://www.stevereevesphoto.com/

So I have been cleaning out everything that I know wasn't original when built. I am very suprised at how well everything is still intact. The worst part so far is the flooring. The linoleum is shot and the orange carpet has very bad dog odor. From doggie accidents! I have posted several photos at the link above. Part of the photos are of the carpet being ripped up. The carpet is stapled down and it is a pain to get all of the staples out.

Does anyone know what the pedal to the left of the steering column is? I think it is the High/Low switch for the trans but I am unsure. We drove it all the way back from Oklahoma with this pedal down on the floor. it felt as if we were missing a few gears. I didn't realize that it was connected to the trans until I pulled the carpet. Tehn It seemed to make sense that this probably was some sort of shift controller. If anyone knows please correct me.

The only part of the Newell that I probably cannot fix or replace is the Toilet. This is a fold up/down version and I cannot find a replacement. The previous owner riggged it a little. I would rather have it fixed correctly. If i cannot find a replacement I may have to use the original and make a new mold. That would be a last resort though.

It also appears that in the largest cargo hold on the drivers side there is a vacuum tank and a brake booster. This does not appear to be the original configuration as there is a brake booster right behind the drivers wheel and just in front of this cargo hold. I can't seem to find where to put the brake fluid either. If anyone knows please inform me.

Please feel free to look at the photos and ask any questions. Iflarger photos are needed please let me know.

I'm on my way back to pulling staples and ripping out the older carpet.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #34
fulltiming

The pedal could be a transmission retarder although you have a very early coach to have such a feature and Newell rarely put them on. There is a thread on this subject earlier for an early 90's model.

The linoleum is put down from one side of the coach to the other before the anything is assembled in the coach. It acts a vapor barrier and underlayment. You are certainly correct that the carpet padding has a million staples. I had to remove almost all of them to replace my carpet with wood laminate flooring.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
http://www.newellowners.com/newellphoto.html
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #35
encantotom

i took all the flooring out of mine and i think it is closer to 2 million staples....

tom

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #36
fulltiming

You are really getting after it. It looks like the gold trim, which was a Newell trade mark at the time is in very good shape. I don't think the factory has any of that left so that is a good thing. You will be amazed at the improvements you can make. Good job!!

Incidentally, you have a beautiful Weimaraner. What is her name?
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 09-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #37
HoosierDaddy

HHHOOOOOOOOOO this is gonna be FUN!!!!
I'm wondering if that left pedal is a "parking brake" that is mounted on the tailshaft of the transmission...Does it have a remote mounted brake master cylinder? I'd trace the brake lines back to find it. Also, I love the idea of preserving the original wherever possible. I would use modern electronics and upgrades to improve safety/reliability though. (ie on my '78 I replaced the old glass type low voltage fuses with the newer blade type fuses changed to LED bulbs etc.)
What brand is the drivetrain? It probably has a direct high gear which would require more RPM's/ MPH than a modern O/Drive transmission.
Something else to think about before you put a lot of money in the original drivetrain......a modern V8/Overdrive transmission!!!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #38
slateblue911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltiming View Post
You are really getting after it. It looks like the gold trim, which was a Newell trade mark at the time is in very good shape. I don't think the factory has any of that left so that is a good thing. You will be amazed at the improvements you can make. Good job!!

Incidentally, you have a beautiful Weimaraner. What is her name?

My dog's name is Daphne. The day I picked her up she rode from Dallas to St Louis with my wife and me. She fit exactly on the center console of my Dodge Ram. Now she takes up the entire back seat of our truck. I think she is ready to travel in a larger vehicle. Oh by the way. She is a Blue Great Dane. LOL!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #39
slateblue911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
HHHOOOOOOOOOO this is gonna be FUN!!!!
I'm wondering if that left pedal is a "parking brake" that is mounted on the tailshaft of the transmission...Does it have a remote mounted brake master cylinder? I'd trace the brake lines back to find it. Also, I love the idea of preserving the original wherever possible. I would use modern electronics and upgrades to improve safety/reliability though. (ie on my '78 I replaced the old glass type low voltage fuses with the newer blade type fuses changed to LED bulbs etc.)
What brand is the drivetrain? It probably has a direct high gear which would require more RPM's/ MPH than a modern O/Drive transmission.
Something else to think about before you put a lot of money in the original drivetrain......a modern V8/Overdrive transmission!!!
I will take a look and see where it goes. There are two cylinders on the brake pedal. There are also two remote power boosters behind the front left wheel. I have never seen a setup like this before. On a regular car the power booster and master cylinder are attached together. I will say that I do have to push the brakes almost to the floor to get it to stop. It does however come to a stop very quickly if needed. To the left of the steering column is an old line lock style handbrake that apparently locks the drivetrain. It connects to a brake assembly at the tail shaft of the trans.

I am not sure what the drivetrain is. How would I find out?

I have a 1995 Fuel Injected Ford 460 with I beleive a C6 automatic transmission. Is this heavy enough to use? It is from an E350 Shuttle Bus. Would I just need to change the trans???

Old 09-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #40
fulltiming

Daphne is beautiful. Don't know that I have ever see a Dane that color. She will be a lot of fun to travel with.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740