Buying a Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
pdparson

Default Buying a Newell

Hi All;

We are in the process of buying a 1995 Newell with 138,000 miles with a 4D Deck motor with 33, 000 miles.

I called Newell and gave then the Vin and they said they were VERY familiar with the coachs former owners as they were avid Newell owners and had a mechanical repair center for Newell.

So I am soooooo excited. I would love to get an extended warranty and am having absolutely no luck, anyone have any ideas??

The Coach has always been kept indoors, the tires are 2007 and 2010, have absolutely no checks or cracks and look brand new...are they safe?

Are there Newell groups anyone knows of?? We are in the Midwest.

Thanks we are very new to this as we had a Monaco Diplomat and now are going to a Newell with no slides...

With no slides, do you find it is enough room not to kill your spouse?? lol..

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Pat

pdparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
pdparson

Oh, one more thing, we are wanting side cameras or collison avoidance, where can we get these done?? When I call a MH agency they moan and groan and say, we are not sure we can do this, those things are wiring nightmares. Bring it in when you get it and we will look at it.Acccccccck!!
thanks again

Pat

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
rheavn

Pat,
Welcome to the Newell family & the forum. You will find this a fantastic source of information and help. There is not many things that some one here hasn't done.

Not sure where you are in the midwest, but I have found the factory service department to be outstanding. They do every thing from preventative maintenance to a total update. Every thing I have had them do has been done in "Newell quality". Newell's service rate is less than a bus service center I have used here in Branson. When you take your coach to the factory you will deal with techs who know how your coach is wired and won't be experimenting on your dime. As to Newells being wiring nightmares--hogwash. This is my 5th different brand coach and working on my Newell has been the easiest.

I have owned coaches without slides and my same wife is still alive! We didn't go to slides because we were irritated from not having enough room, we just liked the idea of having a little more room. Slides are just a personal choice.

Newell advises changing the front tires every three years and the rears every five years. Looking at the outside of a tire is not a great way to evaluate a tire on an rv. You have no way to know if these great looking tires were ran with low air pressure, have interior rot, or how they were treated. Having suffered tire failures over 30+ years of rving I no longer take chances.

Putting side cameras on a Newell has been discussed. Might try a topic search if you are going to install them your self, otherwise call Newell.

Never had an extended warranty on any of my coaches, but I'm sure some one may know a source.

I'm sure you will be as thrilled with your new Newell, as we still are after two years. We can't wait to get back out in our Newell as we are currently in storage.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
pdparson

Steve;

Thank you so much!! I am thrilled to hear you still have the same wife, ! As I am the wife..

THanks for the info on the tires, is there a way to actually check this?? We are picking it up in Quartzsite and live in Missouri...anyone know of a good place to get them checked or replaced in that area??

Once we get the coach I am sure we will have a ton of questions!!! Where exactly is the factory for service and repairs??

Best and thanks

Pat
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
encantotom

welcome to the gang!

as for the extended warranty, with a 1995 the extended warranty is either you, your wallet or both. most of us do alot of the things ourselves as it can be pretty pricey to hire it all out.

in my 1990 i put the jensen color rear camera and color side cameras with the hd split lcd monitor. talk to tim at rvcams.com. very good prices and great products and support.

as for newell groups, this is the one and only.....

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
encantotom

having said that we all help each other a ton. clarkes coach is out front right now as they are hanging with us for a while. i will help him rebuild his leveling valves, put in a fridge etc. we also call each other and help with problems.

dont be afraid to ask questions.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
encantotom

this sounds like the 95 that was white and green outside that was for sale in apache junction az. i went and looked that one for fun.

nice coach.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome,

Since we have a 95, I think we will become fast friends. Slides, sold slide coach and bought no slide Newell, never missed the space. The no slide coaches are laid out differently so we didn't really miss the space, even when traveling with two teenagers.

As far as extended warranty, I would guess you won't find one on a 95 Newell. You are in the right place for stuff you want to tackle, and if within distance of Miami take it to the factory for the big stuff. My warranty is by Richard, and it costs about 3000 a year.

Tell us about yourself. It will help to understand your background, your mechanical and electrical hands on skill level, and what things you DIY on your Monaco, and what things you paid others to handle. There is no judgement in the questions. The members on this forum span the range of DIY desires.

I can assure you that this forum will help. Use the search engine to look for topics that might have been covered before.

If you get in a jam 817 tututhree 2056 ; email richard.entrekinATalconlabs.com

Please don't call after 10 pm EST, I am an early to bed guy.

The learning curve is steep but not hard.

I'll warn you in advance, although Newells are among the most well engineered and constructed coaches it is typical in buying a new to you coach to have to invest some time and money to bring it up to snuff. The previous owners only put enough in it recently to get it sold. Point being, don't get discouraged or think you bought a lemon because you have to fix some stuff.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle http://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
rheavn

Pat,
As you can already tell there are some great people on this site who will go out of their way to help you. The Newell factory is located in Miami, Oklahoma on North Highway 69 1-888-3Newell. Let them know that you now own the coach & they will sign you up for the Newell motorcoach club which has events throughout the year. You'll also get a newsletter occasionally that will update you on Newell news. Miami is in the n/e corner of the state. I too live in Missouri. I'm in the Branson area. Are you any where close? If so I can point you toward some tire folks.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
HoosierDaddy

Welcome Pat!
Rear and side cameras are not difficult to install. You should not need to get involved with the factory wiring at all. Good luck with your Newell!

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote