Buying a Newell - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
folivier

My mom used to soak raisins in rum when she made bread pudding. I'll have to try that for my i scream.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

http://www.LuxuryCoachLifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
larryweikart

Well, Pat, as you can tell by these comments, with this forum, you will never be alone with any concerns about your Newell. Just a couple of additional comments as you proceed along the way. First, don't be overly concerned about driving. As long as you can keep the front 5 feet between the white lines, the other 40 will follow nicely. The FMCA rallies do have a good driving school. I would also recommend that you build a relationship with the Newell Service people. They are invaluable when it comes to information relative to your coach. The 24hr trouble line never fails to get someone to give advice. Good Luck and Good Travels.

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #33
folivier

Thanks Larry for bringing me back on topic
Pat, another suggestion is to look at the Escapees club http://www.escapees.com/bootcamp/escapade.asp , they have training sessions they offer and one in Sept. in Sedalia, Mo.
Good luck with your new coach and please ask when you have any questions or problems. Someone here has probably had and resolved just about any problem you may run into.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

http://www.LuxuryCoachLifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
express1

Default Come On Steve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.
Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks in
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
express1

Default Come On Steve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Yep wire nuts are BAD! I have seen them wrapped with electrical tape but there is a better way, some have a set screw affair.

I would agree that you should use the coach for a while prior to changing things but a Clothes Washer and dryer is important!! it does extend the stay. I think that an ice maker is important as well, best place to keep your Ice Cream.
Ice maker for ice cream???????? Ice maker for JACK!!!!! and other cocktails.....
Don't think we could surrender the washer/dryer...
Just spent 3 weeks on a trip with my brother Cannon....His coach has the Splendid junk........He said is works good enough for one person....They take forever to wash and dry..... Gotta have stacked Kenmore. 220
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #36
prairieschooner

The Kenmore stackers work well on our '82 but I have no experience with the others.
Wire Nuts are fine on a House but with any vibration they fail and have a standard that eliminates them from use in boats.

Hey Matt, don't knock it until you try it! Since I was told about the Icemaker trick for ice cream we only store it that way. Thankfully we have a Rediline to keep the Icemaker working while traveling, I bet the PO used it to store his Jack. Cocktails at 5!

My Grandmother soaked her raisins in Vodka and claimed that it helped her Arthritis.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
http://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #37
Richard and Rhonda

Steve,

What is used on boats in lieu of wire nuts?
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle http://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #38
prairieschooner

This really belongs under electrical but these are ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) Recommended Standards. Check E-11.6.3.6. These are some of the Electrical Wiring Standards (if you want more I can check and post those).

E-11.16.3.5
Connections may be made using a setscrew pressure type conductor connector, providing a means is used to prevent the set-screw from bearing directly on the conductor strands.

E-11.16.3.6
Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used.

E-11.16.3.7
Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.
EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the diameter of the conductor.
NOTE: When a stranded conductor is soldered, the soldered portion of the conductor becomes a solid strand conductor, and flexing can cause the conductor to break at the end of the solder joint unless adequate additional support is provided.

E-11.16.3.8
Solderless crimp on connectors shall be attached with the type of crimping tools designed for the connector used, and that will produce a connection meeting the requirements of E-11.16.3.3.

But basically a Crimp-On type terminal.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
http://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #39
pdparson

We are leaving Missouri on the 22 and heading to az to pick up the Newell, we are towing our boat to fish Lake Alamo for a week and then head home to Missouri..wish us luck!! We pray this was a good deal!! We are so excited.. You guys are the absolute best and have been so helpful, if I have no answered each of you it is due to internet problems we are having living very rural...thank you one and all
Best
Pat
pdparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #40
NewellCrazy

Smile

Welcome and congrats on your Newell purchase. We look forward to meeting you someday.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote