1972 Chauffeur - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
chockwald

Welcome Bob and Peni:

Followed your coach on Ebay, and am so glad you have joined the forum. Like Steve Ward (Prarieschooner) and am also from So. Cal.....currently on the road in West Virginia. Steve is a great resource, so be sure to contact him when you are going to pick up your coach. He can answer a lot of questions. You have purchased a unique coach! Enjoy!

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: http://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
1993Newell

Welcome! Your 1972 Newell Chauffeur coach is nice! Congrats on the purchase. We have many classic Newell owners that own a 70's area Newell here on the forum. Joseph (TheNewell), Keith (rellick), Jon (77Newell), Cheri Smith, bigcatwally, NewellAttack, PIExpress...Just to name a few. Plus we have members who have owned more than one Newell Coach like Ken (Neweller), Jon (MrE), Sean (NewellCrazy), Dean (HoosierDaddy), Larry (larryweikart) and many more. Come hang out, ask questions and you'll be sure to get the help you need here. Look forward to meeting you on the road!

1993 Newell Coach Motorhome
1993Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
sopicki

WOW,

I was not expecting this many replies! Thank you to all who welcomed my wife and I to the forum. We are very excited to have found such a welcoming group.

Thank you for the wiring color codes and the line on bunk beds. We love all of the clever names, my wife especially likes hoosierdaddy!

Our intent is to make the bunks something like the foldable berths on a ship or train, something that folds up near the ceiling over the single beds. There is a picture of a berth hanging from the ceiling in the 1972 section of the Newell Showcase. NewellShowcase.com Newell Coach Photo Gallery, Newell Coach Photo Showcase, Newell Motorhome Photos, Newell RV Photos, Newell Photo Gallery - 1972 Newell Coach Album 4 This was apparently an option direct from Newell. I'd just like to know if the ceiling had to have some type of special reinforcing during construction.

Since we will be driving through Indiana on our way home, perhaps parts of HoosierDaddy's bunks could be used to create the berths.

We will research previous threads or start new one's for our specific questions as they arise.

Thanks again for all of the replies!
sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
NewellCrazy

Welcome Bob & Peni,

Glad you joined our great community. Your definently in the right place to get all your questions answered let alone make many friendships along your way. Sometimes you can't always find what you need using the search button so please create new threads without hesitation and we can always point you towards others threads that might cover similar topics.

Happy Traveling,

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
speedingsport

Welcome you will find this to be the most friendly and informative forum around.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Neweller

Bob and Peni, here is an example of pull down bunks on a Newell. I built some kind of similar for a friend a few years back that were put in a MCI 7 bus and they were what I had been thinking of putting in a Newell. I almost put them in my first Newell, but some things changed that one is long history. This particular design in this photo are mainly supported off the wall via with the chains coming off a ceiling bow area. I know on the MCI that we went to steel and it was obviously not a problem. Newell are aluminum but the are stout and don't think there would be a problem. I have had the headliners out and it would not be difficult to beef it up for the chain or add a brace between the bows if it look like it would be needed. I'll do some additional checking for you as well and report my findings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Newell with Pull Down Bunks.lcl.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	3890
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know Iím not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
Cheri Smith

Welcome Bob and Peni! Good to have you hear to join us Newell owners and other luxury coach owners.

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Neweller

Here is another type of drop down luxury coach bunk.

Name:  Drop Down Bunk in Up Position.lcl.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  13.5 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Up Position2.lcl.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  10.7 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Partial Down Position.lcl.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  9.9 KB

"I know Iím not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
Neweller

Here are three more:

Name:  Drop Down Bunk Hinge Design.lcl.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  10.4 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk Hinge Design2.lcl.jpg
Size:  9.7 KBName:  Drop Down Bunk in Down Position.lcl.jpg
Size:  11.0 KB

-Bob Marley
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
sopicki

Neweller, those are EXACTLY what I'm looking to build. Of course what I'd really like to do is salvage a couple bunks from a remodeled or retired coach......and I'm still not sure where to attach the ceiling links and whether the roof is strong enough the way it is or whether it will need reinforcing. GREAT info, thanks for your help......and if you know where I can find some bunks.....

sopicki is offline   Reply With Quote