Just looking - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles

Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
encantotom

howdy,

value wise, the prices have come way down the last couple of years so you should be able to find something nice for a fair price. i wouldnt rule out the early 90's as there has been a few great deals on them lately.

i have to admit, after spending some time with wally and jim with their 88 and 87 coaches, i really love the look of that body style. theirs are beautiful.

if you want to call and talk about any of this, please private message me your phone number and i will give you a call.

regards,

tom

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
zcasa

Hey Stick:

Welcome. My wife and I own a 1992 Newell, very similar to Michael and Georgia's(fulltiming). We had not owned anything prior to this and are now going on four years of experience. We are very satisfied for the reasons others have metioned afore. What I am most pleased with, is that, I am not nearly as capable or technically savvy as these owners on this site. I have relied on them for assistance with minor challenges that have come up over the years. I am so grateful for their availability and generous assistance with simple solutions, manuals and even private phone calls. Secondly, as Michael mentioned, the 24/7 service hotline with the Newell Factory is really tremendous. Simply decades of experience at your fingertips day and night. Their policy is a return call within 15 minutes. That is very comforting and I have used it and have been treated with respect, even though ours is a 1992. Imagine that. Newell's quality and luxury are simply unmatched and these helpful owners on this website make it a total win/win.

Clarke has a great suggestion to please come out to our mini rally in Austin, TX April 19-23rd. You would be welcome to tour our coach, and I'm sure many others.

In summary, our 1992 with four years of ownership now, has been a very pleasant experience with minimal challenges. I'm quite happy about that. We have put 10,000 miles on it in that time and have plans for another 10,000 in the next 15 months. We are quite excited about this lifestyle and opportunity to meet new folks and make fast friends. We hope to welcome you into the Newell family.

David and Denise

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
Stick Miller

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, for all the replies. As I look around I notice that there are those with tag axles and those without. Any advantages to the tag vs. non? I will not be able to come to TX for the Rally...I have trouble getting to Perry GA, which hosts its share of rallies - hopefully when I retire. I'm still looking.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
fulltiming

Tag axles are put on longer, heavier coaches. Newells have gotten heavier through the years and longer through the years. When coaches are less than 38'-40' and weighs less than 30,000-36,000 pounds, a tag axle is not required. When length and weight increases, a tag axle is needed. A tag does add some weight, some complexity and takes up bay space but it increases load carrying capacity and increases straight line stability.

Newell added a tag axle to a single coach for the first time in 1978 but didn't build any other coaches with tag axles until 1986. Since then, tags have been used on most coaches 39' and longer although through the '80's, a 40' could still be ordered without a tag. By 1987, a 40 footer had a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating without a tag of 35,200 and one with a tag had a GVWR of 45,200.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
http://www.newellowners.com/newellphoto.html
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 AM   #15
encantotom

howdy,

my 38' 1990 has no tag. it is rare i know, but i like it a lot. i still have a gvwr of a little over 40,000 pounds by my vin plate.

i have talked to several people who loved the non tag newells. like michael says, if you get 40 foot or over the weight becomes the reason for the tag.

mine at 38 foot is easy to park and turn and according to michael who has driven mine a little, it is much easier to make turns with than his...though his is 5-6 feet longer and has the room inside it mine doesnt.

i was concerned when the coach i bought didnt have a tag and talked to some people at newell and they said they were great coaches, so it made me not worry any more about it.

i have now put about 13-14k miles on mine the last two years and love it.

hey, it is cheaper on tires too......

tom

Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
chockwald

I, too, love my non-tag Newell...of course I own one of the shorter ones made at 36', but I can get into tight places...was at Yosemite last year and squeezed into a 35' pad on a narrow interior road with trees in all the wrong places. Recently spent the weekend at Faria County Park (Rincon Parkway just north of Ventura) and was able to back into one of the tightest spots ever, while other coaches my length, or longer had to pull forward into the same tight spots. As I maneuvered my coach at 9pm at night and the locals gathered loudly predicting my demise, I backed into the spot first try. Anyway, I love my coach!!!
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: http://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
ABnormal

Stick - I am no expert on such things, but I often wonder whether the non-tags might contribute to better fuel mileage. Less tires on the ground = less rolling resistance. I have an '87 40' 6V92 non-tag and love the 9.9 mileage that it delivers. I don't have any friends that get that kind of mileage. It is 38,900 on the vin.

I also agree with the statement about tire savings. I just put new Michelins all the way around and would not have wanted to buy 2 more.

Larry P.
ABnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
encantotom

i,

i think the 9.9mpg must be related to having two less huge pistons sucking up diesel fuel. my coach is a non tag 8v92 that gets around 7mpg.

9.9x.75 (2 fewer pistons)= 7.4mpg

hey, all those years in engineering school and a minor in math allows me to do such complicated calculations....

9.9mpg is fantastic.

tom

Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Show 488

Stick, I love the tag axle, the improved stability is very reassuring. My wife & I once watched a non-lifting tag maneuvering around in a fuel stop, looked like he left 2000 miles worth of rubber on ground due to the tire scrubbing. At the time we owned a Pre-Monaco, Beaver Marquis 40’ w/o tag and thought we would never want to own all that extra weight, tires Etc… Well, the Newell has a much tighter turning Radius than the Beaver, due to the shorter wheelbase with the tag lifted. We tow a Jeep on all fours, and manage 6.8 -7.2 mpg with a 8V92 running @ 68 – 70 mph.
Duanne
Show 488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
fulltiming

Duanne, does your tag actually lift? The tag axle Newells that I am familiar with dump the air pressure to the tag but do not actually lift the tag off the ground. With the tag dumped, you do get a smaller turning radius and don't scrub the tires much since only the weight of the wheel, tire and brake are apply any downward force. Those coaches with lifting tags actually have springs that hold the tag off the ground when you dump the air.

Weight is the largest contributor to fuel consumption. Of course engine size is also a factor. My coach with my PT Cruiser attached (total weight of about 48,500 lbs) gets about 6.4 mpg without the generator and about 6.0 with the generator on when traveling. Many 8V92's get about 5 to 5-1/2 mpg pulling around 48,000 lbs.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
http://www.newellowners.com/newellphoto.html
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote