PDA

View Full Version : engine won't start

madson95
04-16-2009, 10:01 PM
went to start the coach (85 8v92 mach eng.) starter cranked very good just no fire.
eng had a total overhaul 2000 mi ago filters were new at that time. started 3 days ago and all ok . so got new filters and changed them.( simplest and cheepest thing to do.)
still no go.had a mech recomended from texas coach (they only do int work) he agreed to come by the house and check, well the fuel shut off solonoid( on top of the fuel control)was stuck in the shut off pos. its an elect sol. with an air sol. inc to stop the eng and the elect part to pull the fuel shut off rod back so the eng will get fuel. after pulling on the lever it came free and it started right up. shut it down and tried again ,same thing, sprayed some supper sillicone (crc) and freed it right up.works great now. on the computer equiped detriot the computer shuts off the fuel flow. great part was that the mech made a house call the same day fixed the prob (about 40 min) and charged $45.00 thank GOD for small town mech and some that remember the old eng.
checked with Newell ,they were helpful but had no one that was still with them when they used that mech eng. think they went to the comp eng. about 87.
so for all you classic 8v92 eng somethingto remember.
85 wb 40ft 8v92
warren madson
vw bug diesel toad
iowa and texas

Richard and Rhonda
04-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the post. It's good info to remember, and glad you had an easy fix.

chockwald
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Warren....I've got one of those mechanical 6V92's, and will store this away in my "future problems" section of my brain. Glad to hear it was a simple fix!

Neweller
04-17-2009, 06:03 PM
I had this happen about 4 yrs ago on a 6V92T while traveling through California. Mine had a corrosion issue with the positive wire going to it, which caused a short and fried the shut-off completely. I was facing the same dilemma as Warren, except the unit had to be replaced. Lucky for me a truck parts dealer in Barstow, CA ordered one and had it the next day. Think the part was around $140 bucks. From what I remember, the part distributor or manufacture was out of Anaheim, CA.

Ken