PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu Mini-Ralley: Mountain Views RV Resort, Creede, CO

chockwald
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
You can blame this all on David and Denise Zonker. On another thread David noted he and Denise had made reservations for August 3-7, 2009 at Mountain Views RV Resort in Creede, Colorado, and that if anyone was interested, the "more the merrier". So a few of us have taken the bait, and are planning to be there the same time. So far the Zonkers, Hockwalds, Wards (Prarieschooner), McClouds, and the Entrikens have committed to meet in another informal mini-rally. Guess we didn't want to wait another year...LOL! I called this morning for my reservations, and there are a number of sites still available, but they are going quickly. If anyone else is interested you can call Mountain Views RV Resort directly at 719-658-2710 and ask for either Marlene, or Cheryl. Mention the Newell group, or David Zonker. Deposit is $34, will not be charged for a week. If you cancel in that 7 day period, no charge. After that you are on the hook for $34.

This will be a nice elevation to spend the better part of a week during the heat of the summer....elevation around 8800'! Hope we can get a few more people!!!

P.S. - This does not rule out a return to Tiger Run in Breckenridge, Colorado in 2010 that is still being discussed.

zcasa
05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Hey Clarke:

Sounds terrific. Bring the steaks. lol. When I made my reservations, the seven day was explained to me as a grace period. After that seven day grace period, if I hadn't cancelled, it was full payment with no refund for any reason. I didn't get charged a deposit. Simply full payment after the seven day grace period. I don't know if their policy has changed, but I suspect a new person may have not shared their policy in a way that I was told. Anyways, just thought I would share that in case what was told to me is correct. Life is good. Thanks for wanting to spend some time with us, everyone. We are excited.

David and Denise

encantotom
05-15-2009, 02:01 AM
i paid a one nite deposit. if i didnt cancel within 7 days they said i would loose that. i can change dates around until arrival. once arrival, sounds like you are stuck with what you reserved.

thats what marlene told me anyway.

later

tom

chockwald
05-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Yeah....Marlene was pretty explicit in her explanation....they take your card #, but don't run it for a week. If you cancel within that first 7 days there is no charge. If you cancel after they run the card, you lose the $34, but are not obligated to the entire 5, or 7 days. David, she said specifically if you planned to stay less than 7 days to let them know now and you will not have to pay for the last two days, they will just change your reservation. It's worth a call to clarify.

encantotom
05-15-2009, 06:50 AM
i am staying 6 nites. if i stayed a 7th it is free, but i would have to pay a 6 day deposit that i could lose if i changed my mind on any part of it.

tom

chockwald
05-18-2009, 05:54 PM
I will use this post to update who will be attending the mini-rally in Creede, CO. Here are the names I have so far. If you do not see your name here, and you have made reservations, let me know with a "Personal Message", or post your intent in the "Post Quick Reply" section below.

David and Denise Zonker
Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
Richard and Rhonda+ Entrekin
Tom and Darlene McCloud
Steve and Tricia Ward
Pete and Debbie - 07/21/2009 - advised they cannot make it after all
Larry and Jeri Bell
Matt & Connie Russo
Anita Zonker & Michael Klee
Ron & Jean Skeen
Ron and Susan Gookin
Forest & Cindy Olivier

If you have made reservations, and your name does not appear above, please let me know.

prarieschooner
05-27-2009, 02:01 AM
We just got back from River Run '09. All went well with the "Prairie Schooner" ('82 Newell). I have a few adjustments to make and we will be ready to roll again.
I tried out the 2 stroke blender at the River & the Mud Slides were slippery. Please beware at Creede, we will have the Blender!!

ccopel
05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
It sure is hot on the coast. We had a cold front today and the temp is down to 80+ with 90% humidity. So, August in Creede sounds great right now. Debbie and I have reservations for 3-7 in August.

Pete and Debbie

chockwald
05-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Wonderful, Pete! We will look forward to seeing you then!

chockwald
05-27-2009, 11:26 PM
We now have officially 7 coaches with reservations in Creede. See post #6 for the names of those attending.

prarieschooner
05-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I just sent LarrynJeri a PM. Since I will be leaving from the Hemet area and they are in the Hemet area I thought that they may want to join the Hockwalds and us somewhere along the way

chockwald
05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Cool, I hope they decide to join us.....would be great fun!

larrynjeri
05-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Our phone #951-306-2698, sounds good for us. Planned on Thursday about 8:30 to get to Blake Ranch RV.

Larry

express1
06-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Count us in if issued don't get in the way. We should be set with new tires and fluids and other minor issues by then. I will call tomorrow to book.

chockwald
06-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Express1.....need your names to add to the list of those coming. Glad to have another coach and family joining us!!!

express1
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Sorry about the Express1 issue, but when you are involved in so many forums its easy for me.
Our names are Matt & Connie Russo
coach # 437
I met many at the Austin trip.

chockwald
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
No problem, Matt. I remember you now. Welcome to the family, and we will enjoy reacquainting with you and your wife in Creede!

chockwald
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Was checking long range weather forecast for Creede this morning and see that the 30 day projections are around 10-12 degrees below normal for this time of year, and pretty much thunder showers predicted every day. Don't know what is normal as far as rain is concerned, but maybe David Z. can elighten us. I like the cooler temps forecast, and am not really concerned about rain.

zcasa
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Weather is always a tough one to predict in CO particularly in the Mountains. However, most mornings are very nice, a little bit chilly, but our friends from TX will appreciate that. The afternoons can certainly have a shower or two, but the wonderful thing about CO is that they typically move through rather quickly. We always are done hiking by noon. CO has the second most lightning strikes in the nation. Only FL has more. So, a little bit of planning and watching the weather and being smart about it, makes for a very fun time with usually no worries. I predict we will have some sun, some clouds and occasional rain, which in our dry humidity and altitude is always appreciated. The jeep trails should be awesome, we can ATV, we can hike, we can fish and party. Life is good our here in the high country. Bring warm clothes and comfortable shoes and a big smile with some stories is always helpful. See ya all soon, as our friends would say.

David

Richard and Rhonda
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
It's a hunnerd and two as I type. Bring on some chill !!!!!!!!!!!

encantotom
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
hunnerd and ate as i came home from work.

tom

chockwald
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Still getting temps in the mid 80's in Ontario......we're up in Santa Barbara for a few days "babysitting" my sister's 4 King Charles Spaniels while they are out of town....it's in the high 50's here. Santa Barbara gets a heavy marine layer well into July.....

fulltiming
06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Supposed to be 103 today here in Austin.

Ron Skeen
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Hi,
I have made reservation today for the 4th-7th. Looking forward to seeing everone and doing some off road riding. Will be going to Ouray after Creede for the rest of the month of August. Ron

chockwald
07-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Hey Ron....great to have you and Jean coming to the mini-rally! I've added your names to the attendies list on page one, #6. See you in August. That now gives us 10 couples attending the rally!

Ron and Susan
07-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello

Ron and Susan Gookin , Have made reservatiions with Marlene at
Creede, CO for Aug 3 thru Aug 10,
we got a spot (#255 I think) for $216 plus tax for the week (one day free)
because they said they had a cancellation..(hope it wasn't someone
on the list)..She said we would be near other Newells...
Please add us to the list.

We might not get there until the 4th if we have trouble
driving, it is about 1200 miles from White Salmon, WA 98672
and I have only driven the Newell about 100 miles total so
far. I still have to get a towbar installed on my jeep liberty,
but that should not be a problem..

chockwald
07-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Welcome aboard! Wow, this has grown beyond my expectations! I have added your names to the list of attendies on post #6. Here's wishing you and Susan a safe and uneventful trip!!!

Richard and Rhonda
07-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Welcome Ron and Susan,

You will find the Newell will eat up the miles. More comfy than driving the car.

Two hints. Relax your grip on the steering wheel. And that pedal on the right. Stand on it.

prairieschooner
07-03-2009, 01:50 AM
I have found that our '82 likes it around 60 MPH even if I am not Towing.
I am still having a little trouble keeping the Coach in my Lane (it is much different that Steering a Boat). While Clarke uses a piece of Tape on the Dash to help line up the the Coach with the Center of the Road, I have found that I can use a couple of Gauges. Maybe some others can share ways of keeping their Coach in the Lane.
Looking forward to meeting up with all going to to Creede.

zcasa
07-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Well, I try and keep my left knee on the line to my left, this seems to keep me in my lane. Denise is always telling me I am getting a little to close to the right. The crazy thing is when I get in my car after driving the Coach for some time, I do the same thing, but cars honk at me and move way over. So, I think my method works for driving the Coach but not the car.

tuga
07-03-2009, 03:14 AM
I found that looking about 1000 yards down the road instead of immediately in front of the coach helps me to stay in my lane. Also, glancing in the mirrors and referencing where the white line is on the passenger side helps a lot!

If you are hugging the right side of your lane you are looking too close to the nose of the coach: focus on a car or truck way down the road.

It's those concrete barriers that give me fits. I was passing thru some road construction the other day and those darn things were on both sides of the single lane. That ain't fun!

Richard and Rhonda
07-03-2009, 09:42 AM
As far as keeping the coach in the lane, using an indicator on the dash doesn't work for me. That method makes me focus too close to the coach, and I end up over steering.

I do something similar to Tuga, except I put my right foot in the oil stripe in the center of the road. Then use the rear view mirrors to confirm that I am centered. When Rhonda drives, I swear we are too close on the right, but before I yap at her, I'll sneak a peak in the mirror. Nope, she's centered, it just looks really close when you are sitting in the passenger seat.

chockwald
07-03-2009, 12:31 PM
"It's those concrete barriers that give me fits. I was passing thru some road construction the other day and those darn things were on both sides of the single lane. That ain't fun!"

Tuga, I know what you mean....had that a lot going through New Mexico on I-40....there is just not a lot of room when you've got those "K" rails on each side of you!

I still have a piece of blue masking tape on the dash that I use when I'm in those really tight situations with very narrow lanes, or barriers on each side, but as I've gotten used to driving the coach I have evolved to Tuga's recommendation of looking a 1000 yards down the road. When I use the "tape" method I'm really must seeing it out of my periferal vision, and not focusing on it.

prairieschooner
07-03-2009, 01:42 PM
That is why I posted my statements, I should have clarified that I tend to be too far to the right as well. I used to drive an F250 (before I had to hire a Lemon Law Attorney) but that was still a small Vehicle compared to driving a Newell. I am getting better after almost 2K miles but I still have to pay attention.
Concrete Barriers, ha Southern California Freeways give me fits!

Richard and Rhonda
07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I didn't want to hijack the girl talk thread.

Can I just get an idea of the interest in this. I'll load up my smoker, if you want to smoke some ribs or chicken or salmon one day. I have room. You may or may not be the BBQ crowd. Let me know.

chockwald
07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Count us in....we are definitely in the BBQ crowd.

zcasa
07-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Gimme some of that bbq smoked salmon an chicken for sure.

Richard and Rhonda
07-08-2009, 01:25 AM
I'll bring the smoker, bring whatever you want to cook, and we'll have a BBQ night. Of course you have to monitor the smoker all afternoon whilst consuming libations and exchanging universal truths.

prairieschooner
07-08-2009, 03:13 AM
libations? count me in. ok, I may even be interested in some smoked something. I am working on my 2 stroke blender and hope to have it repaired by then, I may have abused it at the river run.
universal whats?

folivier
07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
We're coming! My wife Cindy just got approval for her time off. We plan to arrive Sunday afternoon the 2nd and leave Friday morning.
(AC fan motor should be in early next week so should be good to go)

Richard and Rhonda
07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Universal truths is a euphemism for telling tall tales.

chockwald
07-17-2009, 05:20 PM
We are now adding Forest and Cindy Olivier to the attendies list on post #6 of this thread, and have 11 coaches, and 12 couples coming to the Creede Rally.....wow. Welcome Forest and Cindy!

fulltiming
07-17-2009, 07:02 PM
This little informal get together is turning out to be larger than the Austin Mini Rally. Way to go!!

chockwald
07-17-2009, 07:18 PM
The trick will be to keep it as informal as possible. Now this is economic stimulus that will work!

zcasa
07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Terrific, can't wait to see old friends and make new ones. This is gonna be fun. Also, we have checked into renting class c's or b's in South Africa for a year or two from now. We plan on renting in Jburg and going to Batswanna and on to Namibia. The more the merrier. Clarke, get on this and let's get as many to go as possible. These countries have campgrounds and lodges for us. We will have an unforgettable experience. Start saving your vacation time and money. This will be a 5 week rally. More at Creede.

David

encantotom
07-18-2009, 12:58 AM
wow, i hope i can get to where i have that much time on my hands to go drive motorhomes around africa.

you will just have to take pictures for me.

tom

folivier
07-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Anybody else into photography? Thought I'd get a few sunrises and sunsets while there.

chockwald
07-19-2009, 09:21 PM
For those who have not visited the "Classifieds" recently, and specifically the "Buy, Sell, Trade" tab.....Darlene McCloud has a listing for the windshield screen, mirror & windshield wiper covers, as well as picnic table/seat covers. We have seen her work up close, and have ordered a set of each from her for delivery at Creede. These would be a great additions to your Newell Accessories collections! She makes these items from scratch, and they are top quality, as well as a wonderful deal at the asking price.

fulltiming
07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I have Darlene's mirror covers and picnic table covers and have seen her work on the wiper covers and the interior shades (I already had some or I would have had her make me a set of those also). All are top quality. Highly recommended.

ccopel
07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello to Everyone from Pete and Debbie.

It's still hot and humid in Corpus Christi and Colorado is where we would like to be. However we had so many setbacks to open our Houston Store we must cancel out on our trip to Colorado. The long days it took to build and open our new venture in Houston was made easier by being able to come home each night to our Newell and not have to stay in a hotel or rental property. I don't know what took us so long to move up to a Newell.
I was ready for Creede. I installed a laptop stand on the dash and purchased the VMSPC20 and Pigtail with the DeLorme GPS/Street Atlas so I could get the help I know I will need to install it.
If anyone is traveling thru Houston stop at Allstar RV, a great place for Newells, and we will fire up the BBQ.

Pete
Coach #419

zcasa
07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear of your challenges of late, Pete. We will miss you and Deb, but hope that we will see you at the next rally. Hope, too, that your Houston challenges are becoming easier, and that you will have things running smoothly soon.

David

Richard and Rhonda
07-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Pete,

I am sorry that you guys can't make it, but I am glad that the coach is working out for you. We'll make sure to have a toast in your honor.

chockwald
07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Pete.....you and Deb will be missed! We are also looking forward to the dryer climate in Creede. Has been humid here in So. Cal. (of course nothing compared to Corpus Christi....lol!!).

Ron and Susan
07-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Is there a suggested best route to Creede coming from Salt Lake Directiion in a Newell ? Probably with the minimum number of mountain passes and
narrow roads...

zcasa
07-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Hey Ron:

Check the mountainviews rv website. They have directions from many areas, even pointing out how to avoid high passes. I know you wouldn't want to go to Denver, but I go south on I 25 to Walsenburg and then west on 160 to 149 but this would add a lot of miles to your trip. The one option would be to travel your highway 6 from Provo to I70, I've done this and it is very easy driving, and then follow the directions on the rv park website from Vail, CO

folivier
07-26-2009, 01:15 AM
I just cooked a couple gallons of turkey and andouille gumbo so we will definately have to have a potluck one night. (Richard made me promise if I came to Creede I'd bring gumbo!)

Richard and Rhonda
07-26-2009, 02:53 AM
David,

Mountain driving doesn't bother me, but I am curious about Walsenburg and heading west on 160.

The RV site offers an alternative route going through Taos, but that is 100 miles out of the way.

zcasa
07-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Richard, I have never driven the Coach on 160, however, I drove it from Sacramento on Highway 50 to Lake Tahoe and I feel that I can do anything now. I don't know the elevation gain or passes that 160 requires, but I have driven the Taos road and 160 to the Sand Dunes in a car, and I'll give 160 a try to Creede. I saw that on mapquest it was 5 and a quarter hours to Creede, from Denver, through Walsenburg and so I'll plan on at least 6 maybe 7 from Denver. It's 1:30 and raining hard in Breckenridge now. It has been a very challenging summer in Colorado. Much cooler than usual and much more rain. But, when the sun is out, what beautiful country.

See you soon.

David

chockwald
07-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Coincidently we're coming into Durango on 160 from Arizona. This is my first time on 160, so it should be interesting. We'll be travelling with Steve and Tricia Ward, and Larry and Jeri Bell. Larry suggested this route, so at least we'll have someone with us who has travelled 160 before.

zcasa
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Left Breckenridge, CO, 9,200' this morning at 40 degrees. Quite chilly in the mornings. Bring warm gear for Creede. Daytime temps in Breckenridge were around 65 or less.

Gonna have a good time.

Safe travels to all.

David

Wally Arntzen
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Phyllis and I wish you all a safe and fun trip. We stayed at that park a couple of years ago and it is a beautiful place nestled in the mountains.
We just could not make it work but maybe the next one.

Ron Skeen
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Jean and I are in Santa Fe and will be leaving here Monday 3rd for Creede. Will stay there till the 7th and then be going to Ouray for the rest of the month. We called and purchase our tickets for the play on the 5th. Look forward to meeting everone.
Ron and Jean

folivier
07-31-2009, 02:04 AM
I hope everyone has an uneventful trip up to Creede. We are leaving around noon tomorrow and should arrive around noon on Sunday. Can't wait to meet all of you guys, you've been very helpful with my questions on getting my coach ready for the trip.

prairieschooner
08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Here are some pictures that we took at the evening get togethers at the Creede Rally. The last picture is how our Bonnie travels.

fulltiming
08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Steve, I am so sorry I have not had the opportunity to meet Bonnie. She is so sweet. The pose reminds me of my dear Patrick who I lost not long after you stopped by to see me in California.

prairieschooner
09-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Michael,
Sorry to hear about Patrick.
I know that he was ailing but he was real friendly to me during my visit. They are a bit of work but I just don't want to think about not having one of my buddies with me. If something ever happens to them I would think about getting a smaller breed (less volume to pick up).
Again sorry to hear about you guys loosing your "child". I am sure that they extend our lives with the joy that they bring.

express1
05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Our phone #951-306-2698, sounds good for us. Planned on Thursday about 8:30 to get to Blake Ranch RV.

Larry

Glade you posted this one. Just incase someone needs their lock picked! NOT!