PDA

View Full Version : Pantry changes

GORDON HUMMEL
05-26-2009, 01:53 AM
This project started out because I have a large coffee maker that took up too much counter space. I figured it could fit in the pantry, if I modified a draw. After some measuring, I figured I could make the draw 7" deeper on the right side, if I went all the way to the wall. I could also make it 3" wider if I eliminated the doors.

By eliminating the doors, I could come out 2+". If I changed the A/C ductwork, & moved hte register out and angle it, it would blow more forward, than just cooling the microwave. This would also give me room for a small draw up top for spices.

After doing a lot of measuring, I ended up calculating I could increasing the shelf area by 70%, & cubic area by 95%.

While this in itself sounds like a winner, the real improvement was in the airflow increase.

After I moved the vent out & angled it forward, I was disappoined with the airflow. I disconnected the flexable duct from the blower to measure the airflow. It was 2-3 times greater than what was coming out the register. My only thought was the flexable pipe was the problem. I bought 2 90deg elbows & installed a 5" solid duct. What a difference! The airflow @ the register was @ least twice what it was with the flex duct.

The improvement was so great, I did the front a/c also & also realized a substancial improvement.

Gordon

encantotom
05-26-2009, 02:00 AM
ahhhh, i love it when someone is taking things apart, making them better and along the way using power tools.....

very good job. once you get going, it shows it isnt that hard to change things. it is that first sawcut that is the hardest....

nice work and thanks for sharing

tom

Richard and Rhonda
05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Way cool, no puns intended. I love it. I especially love it because it started with a coffee maker, a man after my own heart. If you come to Creede, I bring you some home roasted coffee beans.

fulltiming
05-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Nice job Gordon. Glad you found a place for the coffee maker AND increased the airflow at the same time.