PDA

View Full Version : Inverter issue

David and Teresa
05-31-2009, 04:24 PM
When we were almost home from a short trip last weekend, I noticed an issue with my #2 inverter. In the display were random letters and numbers. I couldn't access any menus; it seemed frozen. I checked the display in the basement, same thing. I called my local service guy who suggested taking the batteries off line and see if that wakes it up. So I tried that with no change, except now the amp meters (for the whole system, AC and DC) on my coach display panel are not working.

Looking closely, it seems the buttons on the inverter remote panel don't function as easily as they do on the #1 panel. Could these be stuck somehow?
Anyway, I've looked through the forum and my manuals and can find nothing similar to this. Any ideas?

fulltiming
05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Not sure what brand and model your inverters are but if the remote panel is connected to the inverter by a telephone type plug (or any other easily removable plug) try disconnecting the panel from the inverter, then remove and attach the coach batteries. See if you can get the inverter to turn off from the inverter itself.

encantotom
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
in addition to what michael said, once you have done that, if you have two identical inverters you have the best troubleshooting possible.

you can swap control panels.

tom

David and Teresa
06-06-2009, 12:13 AM
OK, what happened is this. The up and down motion of the lift above the driver's seat where the inverter remote display is over time had frayed some of the wires on the ribbon connector causing a short. Fixing the wires and harnessing the cables so they don't rub against anything should do it.

fulltiming
06-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Makes sense. Good diagnostic work David.

What size are your inverters? Do they both appear to be original?

David and Teresa
06-06-2009, 07:18 PM
They are the original Trace inverters.