PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt(s)

GORDON HUMMEL
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
On returning home on my last trip, I noticed a squeel from the alternator belt, only one belt was installed! In the past I had noticed 2 groves on the Alternator pulley & drive pulley. I figured I'd install 2 new belts since I had to work on it. I did not notice the position on the old belt when I removed it.
Purchased 2 Gates #7290 & installed them. While one was tight the other was loose. I reversed them & the loose one was in the same position. I took a bunch of pictures to try & see the problem as I could not view it directly, but to no avail. Finally put a straight edge on the outside of the alternator pulley. It registered just to the outside of the inside drive pulley.
I ended up putting on only one belt, outside (forward) on the alternator & inside (rear) on the drive pulley.
I've just driven 90 miles & all seams OK.

Is this normal or has someome changed pulleys in the past

Thanks
Gordon
1991 8V92

Wally Arntzen
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I have changed the pulleys on mine several times. Mine is an 88 and has 2 pulleys as I think all of them do. You must have a loose or bad pulley because both of them should tighten up together.
On my first trip with this coach both of my belts broke and I noticed that my batteries were getting low when the coach was parked.
I am a fanatic with maintaince and change all of my belts every year regardless of how much use they have. I do put on 15 to 30 thousand miles a year.
I don't know where your alternater is located but mine is on top of the engine at the rear of the turbo. No to difficult to deal with.
Maybe Michael or someone else will jump in with some other ideas.

Wally

fulltiming
06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
No, that is not normal Gordon. I have two belts on mine and they are close to the same tension on both. The inner belt may be slightly more loose but it is really too close to call. Check the brackets to see if everything is aligned and no cracks in the brackets (at the Austin mini-rally Steve discovered he had a broken bracket on his alternator).

Tom has replaced his alternator so he can provide some additional insight but the two pulleys should line up.

encantotom
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
you will want to figure out what is not right. i put new belts on as well when i changed by alternator and they are both the same amount of tightness. you want the two belts for a couple of reasons....one is if one breaks you can keep going. the other is there is a lot of draw on that alternator at full output and it is really best to have both belts on there.

now you know why there was only one belt on it....

tom

prarieschooner
06-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Even though this does not sound like your Problem, make sure that you buy a set of "Matched" Belts. Basically they are from the same run.
Dose sound like you should check the Idler Pulley. I as well have 2 Belts. Something is not in Alignment.