PDA

View Full Version : Creede diaries

chockwald
07-28-2009, 02:43 AM
We have a total of 22 people attending the Creede Mini-Ralley. I'm hoping a few will share their travels on the way to and from Creede, and impressions of their time in Creede with fellow Newell owners. I'm going to do the same as I did for the Austin rally and write daily reports, as well as posting some YouTube videos of our trip there, and experiences while at Creede. Would be really interesting to get different viewpoints on the trip, and the rally.

chockwald
08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
OK....we left at 5am on Friday morning from our home in Ontario, CA. The first leg of our trip was to Barstow (Flying J) where Elaine would do her two conference calls. We arrived around 6:30am, and her first call was at 8am. The 2nd call was at 10am and done by 10:25am. We departed within minutes east bound on I-40. Just past Needles, CA we hit the high temps of the day at 112 degrees. From Needles, around 800 feet elevation we had to climb to Flagstaff at 7,000 feet.....we battle the heat all day....having to pull off the Interstate a few times to let the tranny, oil, and water cool down. Got up to 200 degrees on all three several times. We arrived in Flagstaff around 6:30pm having covered 420 miles our first day (around half our total mileage for the trip to Creede). We ate at the Olive Garden across from the Walmart off the Butler exit. They don't allow overnight parking at this Walmart so we headed down the road to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant that does allow overnight parking...got 9 hours of sleep, and ate breakfast at the Cracker Barrel (great breakfasts and the best coffee), Departed Flagstaff round 7:10am and headed up HWY 89 to HWY 160 which took us northeast through some amazing scenery.....past Monument Valley,and Four Corners (we'll see them on the way home). We arrived in Cortez, CO around 1pm and are staying at the Sundance RV Park, which I recommend highly. Walked down Main Street to a local brew pub and had a couple of locally made Porter's and an anchovie pizza (for me...Elaine had the steak salad). We'll head over to Mesa Verde National Park tomorrow to hook up with Steve and Tricia and tour some of the indian cliff dwelling sites. Monday morning we'll head up to Creede. I'll keep you posted on tomorrow's activities.

zcasa
08-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Safely tucked away in Creede. We were lucky and only had to drive 308 miles to get here from home. I think that we will choose all the rally places from now on. lol. Anyways, it is beautiful here, as Wally says. We rented a Jeep today and toured over mountain passes that were spectacular. CO has been very wet this summer and today was gorgeous sunny and 64 or so. Wildflowers are awesome. Richard and Rhonda and son Alex are here and invited us to dinner. Great fajitas and company. Then, Tom and Darlene arrived and man, to they have a lot. Unobstructed views of the pond, mountains and moon and sky. Their lot is probably one of the best, if not the best improved lot here. They have solar lighting, firepit, furniture and finished concrete. This is where we will party. More showing up tomorrow and then the rest on Monday. Life is good.

Safe travels to all.

David

chockwald
08-02-2009, 05:30 AM
Sounds great, David...cannot wait to get there. Here is a link to my YouTube video for the first 2 days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5V7-KvW6Nc

encantotom
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
We arrived Saturday nite. the place is really nice. our spot is spectacular. weather is about 45 degrees cooler than home.

we stopped on the navajo reservation and ate frybread burgers out of a horse trailer and it was absolutely incredible. lots of locals stopped to eat and we visited with people for an hour.

looking forward to having the rest of the folks show up

tom and darlene

chockwald
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Spent the day with Steve and Tricia at Mesa Verde touring the cliff dwelling sites in the heat of the day, but it was spectacular! Heading out early this morning to get to Creede by Noon....not looking forward to the big climb!!!

fulltiming
08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Just gear down and take it easy. Don't let that V92 get to hot. Tom and I try to keep the temp at 206 or below. The DDEC, which you don't have, will shut down the engine at 215 but that is way too hot for me to feel comfortable with. Unfortunately, the engine temperature gauges are not the most accurate. When my DDEC is showing 205, my coolant temperature gauge is reading 220. Keep the boost down to 15 psi max.

encantotom
08-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Ron and Susan just got here. their coach is fabulous! like a time machine with how immaculate it is. awesome.

had a fun time in creede this afternoon with Clarke and Elaine.

We were going to get ice cream cones but because of Clarke, we missed out. the place closed at 4pm. and Clarke just had to walk around BEFORE we got ice cream. i even parked directly in front of the ice cream shop as a hint.

wish more of you were here with us.

went through Forest and Cindy's coach. it is fantastic as well. amazing how old these things are and how nice they are.

tom

express1
08-04-2009, 02:04 AM
We also arrived on Sunday. Our trip was safe and uneventful but what a thrilling drive across the mountains. What a change in scene for us. We slept with the windows open for the first time since we purchased the coach. It was near 50 degrees inside this morning. JUST RIGHT for me.
I did break a shock somewhere in route. Having new ones overnited and Richard will direct me in replacing. Front right side. But changing both front Koni.
matt & connie russo

chockwald
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
We arrived at Mountain Views around 12:15pm Monday.....the drive over Wolf Creek Pass was interesting. Temps got up around 205.....pullled over and let her idle for a few minutes and temps came back down under 200 and we finished the 8 mile climb. Steve and Tricia had to stop, also, and unhook their "toad" due to heating up, but they also got over the summit without further issues. Michael...what is "the boost"? I don't have any gauges that indicate "boost".

You see, Tom is blaming me for missing the icecream cone, but if he only walked a little faster and stopped calling friends in St. George, UT we would have made it...LOL! We enjoyed the mining museum wih Tom and Darlene, and walked around Creede to see what was there, and bought some groceries.

Went out to dinner with David and Denise at a little local place with Mexican fare, and enjoyed some amazing fish tacos al fresco. Probably spent around 2 hours talking....we shared a long table with a bunch of people on a bicycling tour around the southeast portion of Colorado. David almost talked them into picking up our tab....LOL.

As David says often......"LIFE IS GOOD!"

zcasa
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Hello:

Today, Tuesday Aug 4th, will be a great day. Everyone is here that was able to commit and we will have a smokin good time at dinner tonight. Richard graciously has offered to add anyones favorite foods into his smoker. He has asked that we deliver the goods by 2 PM. There will be quite the variety. The quality of the coaches has been posted already, but it is sooo much fun to see the pride of ownership and workmanship of so many years ago.

We have had many great visits already while here. We love the variety of interests and the commonality of our love for the Newells. For many of us, the respite of being in the cool CO mountains in the summertime is wonderful. Add to that fast new friends, good food and interesting conversations, this makes for a good time and worthwhile investment. More tomorrow.

David

fulltiming
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Clarke, in retrospect, I don't remember seeing a 'turbo' or 'boost' gauge on your dash. That would be a nice compliment to the gauges you have.

chockwald
08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I was talking to Richard this afternoon about that. Is this something I can install myself?

chockwald
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Went for a 16 mile mountain bike ride with Richard....he was kind to this "old man". We climbed from the park (8,800' elevation) up to around 10,200' and then had a magnificent downhill run of several miles hitting speeds of over 30mph....I think Richard hit 40mph on one stretch!

fulltiming
08-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Sure, biggest labor will be routing the tubing from the turbo to the dash. Hopefully there is an existing fitting on the turbo for a boost gauge. Otherwise that could get a little complicated.

encantotom
08-05-2009, 03:40 AM
hi clarke, come by wednesday and i will show you how i did mine.

tom

chockwald
08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Here are some pictures I took last night of those gathered for Richard's "smoker potluck"...Richard graciously smoked meat for those who were interested. We had chicken, salmon, ribs, etc. It was a great evening of conversation, and it wasn't all about Newell's!!

Connie Russo is hosting a pre-theater get together between 4 and 5pm.....there will be some gumbo, and other Louisiana favorites! Drop by their coach for a short tour, and some great Louisiana cooking! She knows a number of us will be going to dinner at 5:30, but she encourages you to stop by if only for some samples of her cooking, and a little conversation!

fulltiming
08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Happy Birthday Matt!!!

prairieschooner
08-05-2009, 06:08 PM
I was fortunate enough to meet Carl and Joanne Hill last night, they have the blue/white '06 on the upper row. Carl came by to look at our '82 because they used to have an '84, they are nice folks.
This morning while Tricia and I were having coffee with Larry Bell at his great waterfront spot, Carl and Joanne came by to invite us for a cocktail party at their Coach. Carl asked if I could pass the word about cocktails so here it is; 4:30 Thursday afternoon. Bring what you will be drinking, they will supply the hors d'oeuvres.

Wally Arntzen
08-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Clarke, nice photos of some of the folks and the relaxing you are doing in the great state of Colorado. Have fun I wish I was there.

chockwald
08-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Wally, we wish you were here, too...you are missed. There is a 1988 coach here that could be the twin of your coach! Forest is going to take pictures of each couple in front of their coach tomorrow, and we'll post them here.

We all just returned from a night at the theater.....20 of us saw "A Wonderful Noise" at the Creede Repetory Theater......we all laughed a lot, and enjoyed the show. While we were in the Theater it rained a good bit. This impromptu rally has been a total surprise for it's relaxed feel, and we are so grateful to be able to get to know everyone so much better. We've all had a chance to spend time with everyone here. This pre-owned Newell group are great people and it seems as if we have known them for years!

Elaine and I did a 20 mile bicycle ride with David and Denise Zonker this afternoon, and were blessed with a nice cloud cover that came in dropping the temperatures!

fulltiming
08-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Georgia and I are living vicariously through your posts.

folivier
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Cindy and I are really enjoying our trip, especially meeting such wonderful people. We came here as "newbies" not knowing anybody and will leave with new friends and quite a bit of knowledge of Newells.
Someone (I don't remember who) suggested that I take pictures of each couple in front of their Newell, so I'll be roaming around later this morning to do this.
The word of the day is adiabatic.

chockwald
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
On the way to Creede (the first day) when I stopped in Kingman, AZ to fuel up I noticed something dripping from my condenser (the dash a/c condenser), and thought initially it was just condensation, but as I lingered there and focused in on the puddle I realized is was refrigerant (slight green tint....the die?). Oh no.....the heat of the day is yet to come and no dash a/c.....ugh!! Of course, when I started her up again I was just getting warm air....not cool, or cold. So, off went everything, and on went the genset and the roof a/c for the rest of the day.

I, of course, shared my mishap with Tom and Richard after I first arrived. Richard immediately crawled under the front the coach and I hear "Uhuh, UHUH".....he, of course, found the leak immediately...the hose coming into the dryer had leaked around the clamp. So, to make a longish story a little shorter, we got 4 new clamps (smaller in diameter) and double clamped each hose (in and out) and then added some refrigerant...pretty soon the vent temp came down to 40 degrees (outdoor temps around 60 at the time. As many of you will guess, Richard carries a couple of 25 lb bottles of R134 with him, as well as gauges, electronic sniffer, and soapy water to check for leaks. After double clamping the hoses no leakes...even checked the vents inside. I'll stop in South Fork on the way out tomorrow and pick up a couple of cans of a/c oil, and add them as a precaution per Richard's instructions. In addition I'll cut off about 12" of the hose running into the dryer (it looks old with some surface cracks) and splice in a newer section.

I guess we are all going to be continuously battling our dash a/c issues, and once again the Newell gang has saved the day for me. Elaine and I thank you, Richard, as you have made our drive homethrough the Mojave Desert less ominous now that we have dash a/c again.....I owe you one! We still have to turn on the roof a/c when it gets to 110, but we won't see those temps again until well after Williams, AZ. Our plan is to get to Flagstaff late afternoon on Saturday, get a bite to eat, and hit the sack early and then make a dash for Southern California at midnight when it's a little cooler.

This has been an amazing trip.....after the April trip to Austin we told each other that was the best trip ever, and it has already been eclipsed by this one, even though it is shorter in distance and duration. I think part of the reason is after Austin we had existing friendships to start the process, and have been able to get to know everyone so much better, and in addition, have made new friends. We've all been talking about the next rally, and when it will be....looks like Tiger Run (Breckenridge, CO) next September right after Labor Day (2010), but we'll have to get together again sooner than that. Any suggestions????

prairieschooner
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
how about Wyoming?

folivier
08-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Here's proof that these gatherings are a lot of fun!

zcasa
08-07-2009, 04:18 AM
Yep, a lot of fun is right. We are tucked in safely back in Denver now. Uneventful trip home but already yearn for the fun and fellowship that we have enjoyed in Creede. Not enough time to get to know everyone but certainly enough time to build great memories and continued enjoyment with the Coach and the people that share this passion. There is no way that we should wait til September of 2010. We'll just have to keep on posting and hoping that we can get together sooner than later. Creede was very fun and the next one will be too. Fellowship, good food and cheer, and excellent weather helped very much. It isn't the location, the activities that we will remember most, it is the fun and fellowship that will be the lasting impact. 23 wonderful people having fun and to a person, a very giving bunch of folks. Our thanks to each of you for making the effort to be in Creede and to have a ton of fun. Missy is really cool too.

Our best to all and safe travels. Life is good.

David and Denise

encantotom
08-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Darlene and I and Missy had a great time. the time goes by so fast and i am grateful for the new and old friends that we gathered with.

it is strange that a coach and our passion for it would bring so many fine people together to become friends.

thanks to all who were in creede with us and for being so kind and gracious to darlene and i.

i hope some of you make it to the mesa,az area in the future, you always have a place to stay with us if you have your coach or not.

tomorrow clarke & Elaine and us are traveling together to stay at our cabin in northern arizona for a day. so at least two more days of fun with them.

can hardly wait for wolf creek pass tomorrow.....not.

tom and darlene.....and missy

tuga
08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Tom,

A few years ago we drove from Walensburg, CO to Durango on Hwy 160. Did we cross Wolf Creek Pass? I looked on Streets & Trips but it doesn't show the name of the pass.

We stayed at Wolf Creek RV Resort in Pagosa Springs on the way to Durango; really nice!
It was just opening; I think we were the second guest. The owner's name was Johnny Brown, and he was a very nice guy. We stayed there a couple of days. The park is small but really first class.

folivier
08-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Halfway home! We're spending the night at "Ole Cotton Gin RV Park" in Goodlett, Tx.
Not much but ok for a quick rest.
Thought the coach was giving me problems today when the engine temp rose to 192 outside Amarillo and stayed between 187 & 192. Found out why when we stopped at the RV park. 110 F outside, that's hot!
We'll probably leave before daybreak tomorrow and may get home late Sat.
Again- Cindy and I really enjoyed making new friends and can't wait until the next get together.
Hope everyone has a safe trip home or wherever!

Richard and Rhonda
08-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Rhonda and I made it to about 50 miles south of Amarillo before my backside gave out. It'll be an easy hop home tomorrow.

I hope all of you had an easy travel day today.

Hope to see you soon.

fulltiming
08-08-2009, 02:39 AM
In hot weather, engine temperatures of 187-192 are not unusual.

chockwald
08-08-2009, 03:51 AM
The dreaded Wolf Creek Pass is really a ***** cat from east to west. The approach is around 18 miles and only 2500' elevation gain. The drive down 149 from Creede was really cool...there was fog until we crossed the Rio Grande for the second time about 10 miles down. At that point we got below it, and cruised into South Fork, made the turn west, and headed for the "Pass". After we merged on to 550 to head for Farmington we had some construction, and then the wind......got it first on 64, and then very strong on 491 all the way to Gallup, NM. We took about an hour break in Gallup for lunch, and a short nap (I do need my beauty rest....lol!). I-40 was no different than 491....just a different direction for the wind.

We did stop in Winslow, AZ to take a picture at the corner made famous by the Eagles ("I'm standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona"....you know the rest) to take pictures. Then Darlene got in the driver's seat and led us to their cabin in Happy Jack, AZ at about 7,000' elevation.....nice and cool here as I write. According to Tom we did 465 miles today....certainly not in Wally's class, but a lot for me.

Got a call this afternoon from Steve Ward...they made it to Monument Valley, and had no problem with the pass just before Lake City.

Getting ready to take a shower in the Newell, and then hit the sack....just waiting for the water heater to come up to temp.

We had a blast at Creede, and value the new friendships started, and the blossoming of existing friendships. Was wishing for another bowl of Connie's gumbo at lunch time.

Be safe out there......we will see ya'll soon!!!

encantotom
08-08-2009, 03:59 AM
hey clarke, you could have come inside and showered!

we had a great drive today with clarke and elaine. we are back in the mountains where it is cool and trying to gear up to go to the heat.

we had a ball and it was fun as usual to drive with clarke and elaine.

we will have fun tomorrow and then both of us head towards home sat nite.

safe travels to the rest of you.

tom

folivier
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Michael, sorry we didn't get to meet you. Hopefully next time.
I feel better about the temps now. We're leaving about 6 which should put us through Dallas early and home late today.

fulltiming
08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
The dash gauge on my 8V92 is not very accurate. I rely on my VMSpc which takes its readings directly from the DDEC. I really don't pay any attention to temps below 195 during hot weather at speeds above 65 or in the mountains. 200 is where I start paying close attention and at 203-205 I am slowing down and downshifting to get the temp back down. I know that leaves me some headroom as the DDEC will allow the engine to run until it gets to about 213-215 before it shuts the engine down (note for those with mechanical engines, that shutdown protection does not exist).

The last thing I want to do is spend $25k on a Reliabuilt engine (Detroit's remanufacturered engine).

Richard and Rhonda
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Entrekins are home safe and sound.

The wind made it two tough days of driving. It was a crosswind for us both days.

And oh yeah, it's still hot. Dash gauge, VMSPc, sweat on my brow all agree, it's HOT.

Tom, I have your Gordo rug. We'll ship shortly.

fulltiming
08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Glad to hear that folks are starting to safely return home.

Ron and Susan
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM
We are still at Creede and will leave monday. It has been clear
and somwhat breezy. We think we will
go north through Denver and Montana on the way home.

My manual for my 1988 newell (first half 1988-no DDEC) states that a red high temp light will come
on at approximately 210 degrees.
(water temperature wire is Blue with 1 Black)

If engine coolant reaches approximately 215 degrees an automatic engine shutdown will activate.

If it is necessary to move the coach a short distance
to safely park, the automatic shutdown can be temporarily
deactivated by the use of the switch labeled "override" on the
dash. (This switch is covered by a red safety cover and is located
directly above the steering column).

This switch can also be used to run the engine while parked to
allow the engine to cool evenly unless the overheat was caused
by low coolant.

A low coolant light on the dash signals low coolant
level, a condition requiring prompt correction. In this case, the
engine should not be restarted until it has first allowed to cool and
the the cooling system has been repaired and refilled.

I dont know how accurate this temperature setting are but I suspect
that they may be done with preset thermostats.

I traced the wiring from the override switch (grey with 1 blue) to a 24016 relay (same size as the battery merge relay)
in the rear compartment
and found the the relay was connected between 12 volts and
what appears to be a fixed thermostat with normally closed contacts,
mounted near where a hose with a shutoff valve exits the engine, the thermostat is made by MSON and is
marked 220.
The override relay apparently shorts across the normally closed thermostat contacts
that must open at 220 degrees to stop the engine. It seems
strange that Newell used such a large relay (75 amps) but only has
#18awg wire connect to it. Must have been done to keep all the
relays alike as much as possible. I have not found the thermostat
that turns on the High temp light on the dash.

I dont have any electrical schematics, even a typical schematic
might be helpful if it exists.

fulltiming
08-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks Ron. Good to know that Newell incorporated warning and shut-down switches in the pre-DDEC 8V92's. There appears to be some discrepancy between the manual stating shut-down at 215 and a likely 220 degree thermostat but it certainly adds a degree of comfort knowing that the engine may still shut down before self-destruct. I am impressed by the detailed analysis you present.

Sudden coolant loss, particularly under high loads has resulted in the destruction of a number of 8V92's.

prairieschooner
08-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Forest,
I am sure that Clarke and Richard were eating some of Connie's or Cindy's Gumbo under the Hockwald's '82. If I had known that they were serving Gumbo I would have been under there as well.
I think that they should have a Gumbo cook-off at the next get together and we can all taste some "Cajun"!!!
maybe the next get-together should be in their backyard in LA?
Tricia and I went through the Colorado National Monument, CO this AM and the Arches National Monument, UT this PM. We are working our way to Reno, NV and then west to Half Moon Bay and on to Pismo Beach, CA by next weekend.... "what are the poor people doing?"
where is Larry?

larrynjeri
08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Lost Again:

folivier
08-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Made it home about 10:30pm
Never knew a HOT shower could feel so good!
New Raritan should be here next week.
Glad everyone made it home ok.
Hey Matt- how's it ride?

fulltiming
08-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your water heater Forest. Ours started leaking a few months after we purchased the coach. Had to special order the unit and spent about 3 days without hot water. What a bummer. We used the Insta-Hot, the microwave, and the cooktop to heat water but boy does a hot shower help.

encantotom
08-09-2009, 05:42 AM
We got home after a nice nightime drive home from our cabin in happy jack, az. clarke and elaine should be in flagstaff spending part of the night resting for their final jaunt home. i hope they enjoyed the drive to flagstaff as much as i said they would. it is some very pretty country.

just finished unloading and it is 10:30pm.

had a fun time on all ten days of our trip.

it is the first time i have driven at night for an extended period with the new headlights. they are wonderful.

hope the rest of you get home safe.

thanks to all of you who were at creede for being so kind and gracious to us.

later

tom and darlene

chockwald
08-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I learned something new on this trip from Tom. A portion of the road approaching Tom's cabin is dirt....probably about a mile. When we arrived at Tom's cabin in a cloud of dust, Tom suggested cleaning the radiator's of our coaches after they had cooled down. In addition to the cloud of dust, as I idled behind Tom (while he unhooked the Honda) I began to hear a loud squeaking sound from the rear....it would disappear when I increasd the RPM's, but persisted until I shut down the engine after leveling. In addition to the loud squeaking sound, I had also been concerned with the slightly higher temps my coach was reaching on the trip to and from Creede, CO. When he said this a light when on in my head....maybe this was causing the coach to run hotter than normal. Well, yesterday afternoon, after riding his quads all over the "back 40" (and it was a blast) we first hosed down each radiator from the inside out, and then sprayed them with a degreaser. After a few minutes we then sprayed the degreaser off. I noticed Tom's radiator looked much cleaner than mine on the engine side, and he said he washes it off before each trip. Well, that was news to me, as I had never done this to mine. Before cleaning the radiators Tom had me start up the engine to see if we could find the squeak...all the belts appeared to be tight...well, thankfully, that squeak is no longer in evidence, and did not reappear on our 500 mile trip home.....whew!!! After two applications of degreaser, and spraying the degreaser off mine looked a lot better (Tom also suggested doing the same to the engine, which we did, and wow, does it ever look much cleaner....not as clean as Ron's, though)!!

Well, the proof in this case is definitely in the pudding........on the way home from Tom's home the temps never got above 200 on the engine, and never above 170 on the tranny, even though we had several 10-12 mile climbs. This will become a regular part of my trip preparation....what a relief....I thought I had some major issue developing.

I have read the same documentation Ron cited on our mechanical V92's about the shutdown at 220, etc.

We left Tom's cabin around 6pm last night (Saturday) and had planned to run up to Flagstaff, about 70 miles away, and then hit the sack early, and get up at midnight and make the run home in cooler air temps. Well, we decided to head for Kingman where we would top off the diesel tank, dump the tanks, and then sleep from 11pm to 3am. We left Kingman at 3am, and arrived home at 9am this morning.....was much better breaking that last 500 miles in half. Haven't really driven much at night, so this was a new experience. The coach just purred all the way home, and the temps stayed around 180 only getting up into the high 190's twice on very long climbs.

zcasa
08-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Great info, Clarke. Thank you. I will do the same before each trip now as well. It might be good to mention to folks, that this self cleaning works better with the garden hose than at say a power wash, because the radiator fins are very susceptible to bending, which is never a good thing. Also, periodically, I vacuum the front of the basement air conditioners, which accumulate cotton wood stuff, etc.

Anyways, glad you are home safe, and Tom too, and that we continue to learn from each other.

David

Ron and Susan
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
This morning at Creede my outside thermometer read 30 degrees
at about 5 am.

The reason that my engine and radiator are so clean is that the
previous owner sprayed the inside of the radiator with simple
green and let it soak a few minutes and then hosed down the
radiator (and engine also I think) after every trip.

I have only had the Newell for about 6 weeks and this is
my first real trip.

chockwald
08-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Ron, Simple Green is the degreaser Tom and I used.......it is great stuff!!

chockwald
08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Tom....forgot to mention in my earlier lengthy post.....we thoroughly enjoyed the drive on Lake Mary Road up to Flagstaff.....just breath taking scenery...we were "oohing and awing" all the way...glad we did it while it was light....got into Flagstaff at dusk, and decided to head on to Kingman before taking a 4 hour nap. Got into Kingman at 10:30pm, fueled up, and dumped the tanks.....no sewer backup this time...LOL!! We dry camped behind the local Cracker Barrel....very quiet. My headlights work great at night....and when I hit the "Hi Beam" button, wow they really light up the road!!

Steve......some of the "poor people" just arrived home....the rich people are still on vacation....LOL!!! Enjoy your drive through the Canyon Lands.......wish we were out there with you. As we were turning on to our street I asked Elaine why were were going home.....why not just turn around and keep exploring???? Sure tempted....keep all of us posted on your journey.

Richard and Rhonda
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
My lovely bride Rhonda usually measures our vacations in tangible ways. Here is her accounting of the Creede trip.

# Newell RV’s attending rally in Creede Colorado – 10 (Bells, Entrekins, Gookins,

Hockwalds, McClouds, Olivers, Russos, Skeens, Wards & Zonkers)

# People who came (because we are such a fun group) even though they don’t own

a Newell – 2 (Nita Zonker & Michael)

# RV’s worked on by Richard – 5 (Entrekin’s generator, Russo’s ride height valve &

shock, Darlene McCloud’s seat, Hockwald’s AC & Skeen’s AC)

# Gashes in Richard’s head – 1 (from a decorative statue in a RV he didn’t even work

on)

# Evenings Richard left the RV door open – 1

# Bugs Alex killed with the fly swatter that night – 56

# Bugs Richard sucked up with the vacuum cleaner – 217

# Subsequent evenings Richard left the RV door open – 0

# Glasses of homemade root beer prepared by Tom – 60

# Glasses drank by Alex – 8

# Laps Alex took around the campground to alleviate the sugar high – 2

# Books read by Alex – 4

# Books read by Rhonda – 1

# Books read by Richard – 0

# Miles Richard rode his bicycle – 80

# Miles hiked by Rhonda – 0 (O.K. my triple broken ankle is not healing as fast as I

would like)

# Times Alex drove the Honda “R” – 5 (it used to be a CRV, but the C & V fell off)

# Learning permits or driver’s licenses held by Alex - 0

# Accidents, close calls or terrified passengers - 0

# Scratches found on my car (borrowed by Ty) when we returned home – 2

# Times the wind blew up the TV antenna on the way home – 7

# Times the big awning tried to deploy while going down the road – 1

# Times the refrigerator door opened up expelling Darlene’s salad and a smuggled

jug of Tom’s root beer - 1

fulltiming
08-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Richard, what's up with the main awning trying to deploy? Do you have the ZipDee Travel Latch kit that holds the stainless wrap to the side of the coach? Greatest thing since sliced bread (not as good as Darlene's unsliced bread). http://www.zipdeeinc.com/diagram_windowawningparts.htm part #12 and http://www.zipdeeinc.com/diagram_caseandfabric.htm part #7 for the main awning.

chockwald
08-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Richard....that was a hoot....thanks for sharing. Wow, sounds like you had worse wind than we did. The wind really wears me down, and reduces the fun factor of driving my Newell significantly. Had NO wind from Tom's cabin home, so the last 500 miles were more pleasant, and I arrived home relaxed, and wishing we could drive another 500.....LOL! We had wind from Farmington, NM all the way to Tom's cabin.....first from the starboard, then from the port, then straight at us....wish we could have had a tailwind once!

Richard and Rhonda
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Uh, yes I have the latch kit.

I do believe that one must lock the arms and engage the latch, however, to keep the awning from deploying. I do believe it was operator error :-)

The wind was a crosswind for 780 miles. Got my upper body workout in though.

fulltiming
08-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I hear that. We have been having some strong gusts of wind lately and I have been having to put up my main awning at some time of the day about every other day.

I remember Wally's awning unfurling in a strong crosswind on the way from Mesa, AZ to Austin for the April Rally. During the rally, he ordered the travel latches for his awnings.

tuga
08-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Richard,

That happened to us when we first bought the 99. There were no latches; they were all broken off (I failed to notice when going over the coach). So there we were driving to the Newell factory and wham! Both of the Zip Dee awnings that cover the slide outs open up while we are doing 65 mph! Luckily, we didn't break anything.

I pulled over and Louise and I opened the windows and sat on the window sills and re-furled the awnings. Then we lashed them down with nylon tie wraps. It worked until we arrived in Miami and were able to buy some new ones. Thank goodness those windows opened where they did because that was the only way we could have lashed them down.

wallyarntzen
08-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Michael, I have two tie down straps on my awning and I never put it up in the wind. Saturday night we had bad storms and tornado's with winds about 45 mph at our park. The straps held well and there was no stretching of the awning. Without the straps I would have lost the awning and the hardware with it.
I agree with you, if you don't strap it you loose it.

encantotom
08-11-2009, 03:55 AM
just a few days after we got our coach i was off on the maiden voyage of 4k miles. the first day we were driving across I40 in new mexico and doing 75mph in a 50mph crosswind....or maybe it was a 100mph crosswind, all i know is that it was strong....

i learned a few things....first is driving 75 is nuts....

second is those zip dee awnings are STRONG. mine came down at 75mph and flapped like an albatross up and down until i could pull over. it was an awful noise and i was sure it had ripped off.

i borrowed the only ladder in the little town on the freeway and tied it up with a coat hanger.

i promptly bought two of the travel latches, which it didnt have at all to put on the 22 footer.

live and learn.

but it does help to actually engage the latches.

tom

chockwald
08-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Mine came with the travel latches, and they work well.....Tom will recall we had to stop after leaving Creede because I forgot to close the latches after putting up the awning. Didn't want to take a chance on the awning deploying. They work well. Have never had a spontaneous deployment whilst on the road.

prairieschooner
08-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Today as we were leaving Ely, NV we came across the Ghost Train. The old steamer was chugging up the hill as our V-6 was getting up to speed. I Blew our Horns and they blew their Whistle. It was quite exciting for this old Prairie Schooner to leave town with the old Locomotive!
The other picture is of the Prairie Schooner on the Prairie, what are the poor folks doing?

chockwald
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear you are on HWY 50, there are a lot of things to see and do. Is it the loneliest highway in America, or not? Thanks for the pictures, too. Right now some of the poor folks are sitting at their computers living vicariously through you!!!

folivier
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
As promised I put up a quick webpage with the pictures of everyone's coaches. If anybody would like a larger file size for printing pm me and I'll email it to you.
http://forest.djoinc.com/creede/

express1
08-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Good work! glad you did this to remember all.

zcasa
08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Hey Forest:

Thank you very much. Great memories. Could you do me a favor and work on my youthfulness with some photo shop touch up? lol.

Hope you can make all the rallies.

David

prairieschooner
08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
here are some pics from Mesa Verde. Tricia and i figured out what happened to the Zuni Indians.... they weren't in Newells!!!

chockwald
08-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Forest.....great job....wow, those are really great pictures!!!

Steve...are those Zuni indian maidens in the first picture???

chockwald
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Heard from Steve Ward this morning.....they succesfully crossed the "loneliest highway America" (Highway 50) in Nevada, and are now leaving Napa, CA and heading south to Half Moon Bay (just south of San Francisco). They're having a ball, and Steve says he's getting more comfortable driving after almost 3,000 miles on this trip. He says the trip has been very "uneventful", which is what we all hope for on each trip. The coach is running great.

prairieschooner
08-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Tricia and I just got home from the Creede Rally and boy o' boy did we have a blast! I was great to meet up with you all and be able to put a face with a signature.
The Prairie Schooner ran great and we learned allot about how to travel with our little V-6. I will post some pictures later. We did have one failure..........the shower head couldn't be cleaned anymore and had to be replaced, not bad $17.95 at Pismo Beach.
And yep them be Zuni Maidens! hard to believe that the Zunis aren't all over the place with Maiden like them!!!

express1
05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Lost Again:

That is most likely the most honest thing you have stated!

chockwald
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
So, Matt, is it safe to say that you are really, really, really upset about this incident? I think it's time to stop sugar coating it and just say it like it is.

express1
05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Its almost time for another project for SEAL TEAM 6. or just the boy scouts....:o Hemet, Ca

prairieschooner
05-08-2011, 02:41 AM
He may have been a Seal, I say you send in the Boy Scouts!

express1
05-08-2011, 02:52 AM
He may have been a Seal, I say you send in the Boy Scouts!

He did tell us that he was one of Ronald Regan's bodyguards. Secret Service, also If anyone would like to stay at the Outdoor Resort in Indio he owns 2 lots there!!!:thumbsup: He also purchased the lot he was on in Creed. lol! The condo in Tahoe was always rented when we were near there in Reno....:blushing:

prairieschooner
05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
I found my Deed.