PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil?

afrench45
08-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Do you think it's necessary to use synthetic oil on my 60 series engine?

fulltiming
08-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Is it necessary, probably not since many OTR trucks running Series 60's are not using it. Is it likely better for the engine (less friction, better lubrication when started cold, etc), probably.

As I recall Newell is convinced that synthetic oil is worthwhile enough to provide it in their new coaches when they are delivered to the customers.

NewellCrazy
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Synthetic oils should be used in Detroit Diesel engines provided they are API licensed and meet
the performance and chemical requirements outlined in this publication. The oil should be a
PGOS 93K214 approved product for use in EGR equipped engines.

For two-stroke cycle
engines, only synthetic oils which do not contain viscosity improver additives may be used. The
use of synthetic oils does not necessarily assure the extension of the recommended oil drain
intervals beyond the limits

Change oil filters every 250 hours maximum, and service the centrifugal filter based on the filter cake
thickness.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
01-31-2013, 09:57 PM
When I ran twin twin marine 6-71s, I used Delo 100, 40w. This oil was especially developed for 2-cycle Detroits. In my Series 60, I use Delo 400EL, 5w40 which is synthetic and the best price I have found is a Walmart at $20 per gallon. Caution, Delo 400EL 15w40 is not synthetic.