PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin Corian

HoosierDaddy
08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
My '93 has a Corian table for the booth. Apparently it was designed for somebody a LOT skinnier than me. I would like to narrow the table. I'm looking for ideas on how to best remove about 6 " from the width of the table..
Thanks,
Dean

zcasa
08-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey Hoosier Daddy:

I did the same thing to my 92 Coach. I wasn't handy enough to do it myself, but I took it to a Corian place and they cut out the center and put the two ends back together. Even the maroonish outline is together. So, underneath the table top one can see where they patched it together but not from the side or the top. Very pleased with their ability to do it. Tom might be able to suggest the right tools etc to use if you were to do it yourself. I paid $150 and it is just wonderful.

David

encantotom
08-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Corian is very hard. it takes a laminate blade or one specifically for it or it will chip.

you can do searches on blades for corian or solid surface and you will find them.

i have some corian i am going to glue and cut to redo some trim piece.

then you can route it and sand it. the finish on corian is a function of how fine a grit of sandpaper you use. using up to 1000-2000 grit will make is shiney. you can also use various scotch brite pads to dull it.

you can get all that stuff at any local or online solid surface supply place.

tom

fulltiming
08-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I will add that for finishing off an edge or removing a small amount of corian, say 1/2", an oscillating belt sander (I have a Rigid) works wonders. I used mine to trim down a piece of corian in the shower at a 45 degree angle. The adjustable table on the sander made the job fun.

prairieschooner
08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Corian is an epoxy based material, I have worked with it in the past and was very happy with the results. First use a Dast Mask!
I was able to use a jig saw to do the rough cutting and then use a router with a straight edge guide to make the final trimming. You can file and sand then polish it to get whatever finish you desire, great stuff.
Again, please4 use a Dust Mask!