PDA

View Full Version : Still tripping

express1
08-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Connie and I are still traveling after leaving Creede. We are now at Lake Powell. Today we had a strange (to us) sand storm. Winds about 45-50 mph.
We are anchored at the Wahweap campground... Great spot to view lake from
we are in slip C25. It was funny watching other people not preparing for storm chasing stuff when it hit. We had no damage. Good reason to wash after it passed. SAND EVERYWHERE!!!! In a few days we will move to towards Zion.
We spent a week in Ouray with Ron Skeen (great guy) we rented a Razor and drove from Ouray to Telluride via 13000ft
Having good times.
Still no talk of returning home!!
However this area is HOT!!
Anyone else on the Road?

folivier
08-23-2009, 03:20 AM
Glad yall are enjoying the time over there. It's been raining quite a bit here ( no hurricanes yet!)
How does it ride and handle?
If you haven't already check out the Antelope Canyon tours, really neat. Also Horseshoe Bend just out of Page is pretty nice. There is a neat little steak house somewhere around Page (can't remember the name) it is past Lee's Ferry Landing ( think that's the name, it's a popular place for launching raft trips)

zcasa
08-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Hey Matt and Connie: Sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure in your Newell. Awesome. We did that same trip in April/May of this year. Stayed at Wahweap and rented a speed boat and toured many of the canyons of Lake Powell. Very nice indeed. Zion was fun too and Bryce Canyon over the top. Both very beautiful and very different from one another. Yes, very warm and dry. Sand storm sounded quite crazy. Continue to enjoy your home on the road. Just a great way to begin your retirement with a Newell and all the Gumbo you can eat. lol. We don't take off for Maine and down the eastern seaboard until 9/20. May catch ya on the road.

David and Denise

tuga
08-23-2009, 03:26 AM
Matt,

I just looked on the map and it only seems like about 2 inches from Ouray to Telluride! It couldn't have taken more than about 3 minutes! Just kidding!

It seems to be about 10 miles on the map. Did you go thru any little towns? Sneffels?

We had a little cool front come thru today; it was only 90! Actually, we have been getting rain everyday which keeps things cooled off. It was 76 this morning about 7 AM.

Wish I was in Utah with you!

How was Monument Valley?

express1
08-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Tuga, our ride over was only trails. We did pass a few old mines but this trip was all dirt......and fun.

chockwald
08-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Matt and Connie......glad you guys are still livin' it up in your Newell.....how is the ride now that the air ride is fixed? Keep us updated on your adventures!

express1
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
The ride has been very smoooooth. It rides like it did when Tuga and I picked it up in Madison, Ws. However the fuel economy has gone from 9.5 to 7.8 since Connie loaded things and we added the Flex tow. Doesn't matter thats a non-issue at this point anyway.
The friendship of Newell owners is amazing. We were in Ouray when 2 newer models 06-08 came to the same grounds. One coach had a blow-out @ 68mph on the left front.
After talking with them, the tires were 4 years old and not many miles. He did have some sort of monitor system and all was well until moment of blow-out.
Ron Skeen show me pictures of his right front blow-out. The tire and wheel GONE!
Anyway, enough bad news stories.
I had a spare A/c elec. board to replace on Ron's rear air. It worked just fine after we replaced it. NO INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED

With No return trip home planned,(yet)
Matt & Connie

express1
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Tuga, Monument Valley was strange. I have never seen so many people in one place and there was very little noise. Conversations were quiet, no music, just the view. It was like being in Church..... probably because they don't sell alcoholic drinks. Or maybe it was Church, but don't some churches serve drinks?
JUST JOKING!!!!

chockwald
08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Matt.....Elaine and I went through the "too much stuff" mode when we first got ours. After a couple of trips we pulled the coach up in front the house and unloaded everything, inside and out, and then made 3 piles.....pile #1 was stuff we knew we didn't need, and would probably never use. Pile #2 was stuff we knew we needed, and had been using. Pile #3 was stuff we weren't sure about. After reloading pile #2 we went over each item in pile #3 and if we didn't both agree it should go back in we set it aside in the garage. After another few months of not needing, or wanting any of the stuff from pile #3 we got rid of it.

It takes a few trips, and the extended one you are on will go a long way toward those decisions becoming easier. You may find as time goes by that you don't need nearly as much as you thought, and you will see the mileage edge back up....lol!

express1
08-23-2009, 02:38 PM
funny thing, we daily bring things into our coach. Things only leave (2) ways.
Toilet or garbage! not sure which is greater.
Of course Connie collects ROCKS!!!! (no rocks in louisiana)

prairieschooner
08-23-2009, 02:49 PM
We took the Slumgullion Pass out of Creede another 11,500 foot elevation with grades up to 9%. When we got to Lake City I pulled over to hook up the CRV that was disconnected as a safety measure. I saw Connie come out of a Tourist shop with her arms full of "stuff" and that wasn't even a stop. Connie would need more than three piles, Matt keep her in the desert and hopefully the fuel mileage will stay where it is.

folivier
08-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Hey Matt, bet you a dollar you can't hike to the top of Angel's Landing!
Here are some pictures we took of Zion & Bryce
http://forest.djoinc.com/utah/
Have fun!!

fulltiming
08-23-2009, 04:47 PM
We were in Ouray when 2 newer models 06-08 came to the same grounds. One coach had a blow-out @ 68mph on the left front.
After talking with them, the tires were 4 years old and not many miles. He did have some sort of monitor system and all was well until moment of blow-out.
Matt & ConnieThe newer the Newell and the more and larger the slides, the more important it is to pay attention to front tire selection and maintenance. On the multi-slide coaches, Newell has specific recommendations regarding front tires and maximum cruising speeds. If you have one of the slide coaches with 315 front tires, Newell recommends a max cruising speed of 65 mph. If you upgrade to 365 front tires the max cruising speed is 75 mph. The 365 front tire upgrade is available for virtually all slide Newells. I believe that coach 1230 was the first coach that was built with the 365's.

Newell recommends changing out the front tires every 3 years.

tuga
08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Michael is right on the money! If you have a slide coach; it is imperative that you follow the guidelines that Newell recommends. Installing new front tires every 3 years and rear tires every 5 years.

Think about it this way: one slide in the front adds about 1100#-1400# depending on the length of the slide. If you have 2 slides in the front you're looking at double that weight.

I only have one slide in front and I observe the guidelines with regard to speed and tire pressure. I check my tire pressure everyday when I am traveling. I used to check it every other day but I now check it every day. I also have the SmartTire system on my front tires. It will give an audio alarm when the tire loses around 16psi. The big advantage here is that if you pick up a nail 2 hours after you have checked your tires you will be notified by a loud beeping sound.

Slow down and check those tire pressures every morning.

express1
09-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Hey all, Connie and I are still rolling! We have been in Breckenridge for 2 weeks. Our son came out to visit from La. He surely enjoys the weather.
We went on a 15 mile bike ride from Vail to Frisco. (all down hill) We also went to Leadville ( the highest city in the US) so I was told. The highest recored temp. was 86 degrees! It was 34 this morning. We took a atv tour.
Still having fun and our Coach has been great for a full time home away from home. We are headed to the Black Hills on tuesday or Wednesday. My buddy Ron Skeen fell and hurt his foot a few days ago. He and his wife Jean are headed home today. They also have been traveling since Creede.
Everywhere we go, people are interested in our Newell......
No one can believe it is 14 years old.....Even prevost owners....
I always ask them (prevost owners) what did you do with the seats?
Some don't think its funny.

Oh well!!!
until later Matt & Connie.
thanks again richard for all you did in Creede.

prairieschooner
09-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I envy you guys that you are still on the road! sure glad to hear that all is well.
I took the Coach for Fuel this afternoon, it sure was good to get behind the wheel! I am headed to Yuma in the AM (Mom has health issues) for a few days. We have reservations at Doheney State Beach (CA) for the 20th-23rd of this month so the Coach will only sit a coupe of days before we roll again.
Glad to hear that all is well with you both.

chockwald
09-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Matt...I love the Prevost joke...LOL!!! I'll have to remember that one! So glad you guys are having a great time, and seeing your Newell as "Home"....that's the highest compliment for a Newell.

Give Ron and Jean our best....hope his foot injury is not serious! God Bless, and be safe!

Richard and Rhonda
09-13-2009, 05:53 PM
The Black Hills are absolutely gorgeous. I wish we were going with you.

On Thursday, some of my cycling buds from Texas load up and we head to North Carolina to do a little bike ride innocuosly named Bridge to Bridge. 102 miles and 11000 feet of climbing. Oh joy. Anyway, we are meeting a guy I biked with for 20 years in Georgia, and a gal I biked with for a couple of years in Virginia. So three decades of my cycling friends are all converging for a little fun. We'll all cram in into the coach for one night in NC. With both couches down, and the dinette made out I can sleep up to 8.

As you can figure some good food and libation is planned. We don't have to watch what we eat with the upcoming ride the next day addressing any weight gain concerns.

I post more as the trip develops.

encantotom
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
it is cool that you are able to be gone so long matt. the 2 months darlene and i did in the summer of 2008 was a ball too.

richard, you should do a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook strapped to your back and broadcast live your trip?

tom

chockwald
09-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Richard, I like Tom's suggestion for a web cam...LOL! Enjoy the ride...looking forward to a ride description and some pix!

prairieschooner
09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Tom,
It is about 100 degrees here in Yuma almost pleasurable. What is like in Mesa?
PS what is a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook?

encantotom
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
hi steve,

i have been traveling around asia the past ten days. malaysia (warm and humid, right by the equator), since friday in shanghai china (very nice time of the year, 70's-low 80's. rain on and off. tomorrow off to singapore and then home.

i look at all the buses as they go by and there are TONS's of them here. amazing how they weave in and out of heavy traffic while honking the horn.

tom

chockwald
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I have begun to notice that when I think of taking vacation time my mind turns to where can we go in the Newell. I don't think about where I can fly, or drive my car....I think of what new place can I explore in my Newell.

Last night I had to go pick up my Ford Expedition from my mechanic.....the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" light came on last Thursday. I've had the "Check Engine" light come on from time to time, but have discovered that just means I'm low on window washer fluid, but this was a new light. My mind immediately runs to 4 figures (cost). Fortunately, it was only a vacum hose that had a hole in it ($172), so I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and have the radiator hoses replaced, and radiator flushed.

Anyway, I asked Elaine if she wanted to stop at "The Hat" and get some pastrami and frys to go and have dinner in the Newell (stored in my mechanic's storage yard), and she, without hesitating, said "yes!". While we were there I installed some more LED light bulbs in our "mood lighting" modules over the couch. Like Tom, and others we look for reasons to spend time in our Newell.

folivier
09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Man, I didn't realize how fortunate I am to have the Newell parked in my back yard! Whenever I feel the urge it's there!
We plan to take it to dinner Sat. night to celebrate my son's b'day.

tuga
09-16-2009, 10:37 PM
A few years back Newell produced an advertising video (this was before PCs and digital cameras) and in the VCR tape the message was " Newell - the vehicle for getting there becomes the reason for going".

And that is really true: I think that we as customers sit around and think of ways to use our Newells. What a great product, a great company, and what a great country we live in to be able to enjoy such a fine dependable machine!

Thanks Karl & company!

Richard and Rhonda
09-17-2009, 01:07 AM
PS what is a helmet cam, with a wimax connection to a netbook?

Tom is suggesting I mount a mini cam to my bike helmet, run the camera feed to one of the little laptops, and use an aircard or similar to broadcast the ride live.

Just a couple more pounds to carry, that's all.

I don't think so.

encantotom
09-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Richard, whats the matter, are you CHICKEN?

tom

Richard and Rhonda
09-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I suppose so, you know I am easily intimidated.

Really, just no need to provide a documented record of me admiring the female hardware as it rides by, wait, I meant the bikes the girls are riding.

LOL, we were watching home videos one day of a vacation at the beach. The videos were five or six years old. Apparently the camera lingered on a young lady just a little too long. Rhonda busted me for it. I swore the statute of limitations had run out. Nope.

So, I think I'll leave the video camera at home.

chockwald
09-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Just got one of those small "Netbooks" to run my GPS (Delorme) program....takes up less space, and the screen size if more than adequate. It will take up a lot less space on my console, which will bring a smile to Elaine's face. They are very light, like Richard says. Don't know that I would want to add that weight while riding a bike, though. We spend enormous amounts of money making our "rides" lighter. Mine is an HP Mini 1151NR Netbook. Got it through Verizon as an upgrade to my Verizon Aircard. The Aircard is built into this Netbook, and it also has built in WiFi. The added bonus is that it has Windows XP installed, not Vista.

express1
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey all, during my morning walk-around. I noticed the left drive tire seemed fat. It is. The inside left drive tire is flat!!! My assumption is that it went down in the Park. (We are now in Hill City, SD.@ Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground. about 3 miles from CRAZY HORSE.) I called Good Sam, this is my first experience with them....Great Phone Skills. I will comment on service after replacement. My tires have less than 3,000 miles. Toyo M147 load range H. 11R 24.5. No signs of damage (still on coach) After removal I will inspect.
Replacement cost $450.00. We (I) am waiting for tire service to arrive. Connie has gone shopping...
Once again asking myself WHY. The answer once again.

PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP!!!
STILL TRIPPIN, with no return home planned...
matt & connie

tire service has arrived.

chockwald
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Matt.....why is it always the inside tire?! I've never had an outside drive tire go flat, or blow out...LOL! You will probably save enough on the labor and travel charges to pay your Good Sam ERS membership for the rest of your life! I had a blowout 80 miles west of Mesa, AZ. Good Sam paid for the travel time from Mesa to my location on I-10 and back (160 miles roundtrip), plus labor. I paid $370 for the tire.

tuga
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Matt,

Hopefully you won't have to replace the tire since you didn't roll on it! It may just need a plug and patch!

Consider yourself lucky that it didn't happen on the highway at highway speeds; then you may have had to buy 2 TIRES! It is always a good idea to do a walk around everyday even when you are in a campground - you never know!

I had a flat on my passenger side tag axle tire on the morning we were scheduled to leave a campground in Gatlinburg, TN. I could see that the tire was low (normal psi is 80) and it had 30. I aired it up with my trusty air doubler, drove to a truck stop and had it plugged and patched. It has been running good ever since.

A note to remember: when a tire runs low with 20% of its normal running pressure missing for any length of time - IT SHOULD BE REPLACED! The sidewalls become weak and it will blow when you least expect it. A Goodyear tire representative told me this. If you normally run 100 psi and it drops down to 80 psi and you keep running it for an extended time the tire is ruined!

encantotom
09-18-2009, 12:37 AM
i know i have the simpletons air pressure monitoring system that just goes on the valve stem, but since i have it on all tires, it is great in the morning each day on the road to just look at the monitor up in the cockpit and see what each tire pressure is at.

i know the doran pressure pro i have has now been upgraded with a fancier monitor and you can even get it to work with the vmspc now for some extra bucks.

it was a good 4-500 bucks that i spent on it. now i know my batteries are going to go out this next year and i will have to replace them, so that will be pricey, but not as bad as having to take the tires off the rims to replace the batteries.

tom, tired in singapore, cant wait to get home on saturday nite.

chockwald
09-18-2009, 12:52 AM
No,Tom, I have the simpleton's air pressure monitor....a handheld air pressure gauge.

zcasa
09-18-2009, 02:28 AM
yeah, I have a good system, too. I just have the Mrs. check the tires before each day of driving. So far, so good. lol Actually, I just use the simple manual system and keep the tires in the recommended time frame of replacement.

Off to Maine from CO on Saturday. Should be close to 2,500 miles and then we will mosey down the coast to FL by first week of November. Looking for sunshine and changing leaves. Hoping for the best.

folivier
09-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Hey David if yall pass through Louisiana on the way back look us up! Cindy and I were thinking of taking a short trip somewhere the week before Thanksgiving, maybe we can meet up somewhere in Florida.

zcasa
09-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Hello Forest:

That would be great. Although, we are scheduled back to Denver on Nov 4th. Leaving the Coach in enclosed storage down there. We go back to FL on New Year's Eve and spend the winter there. Certainly, would be a blast to hook up for sure. Let's pm and stay in touch on the dates, locations etc. We would enjoy that very much.

Have a good day.

David

express1
09-19-2009, 02:34 AM
The rest of the story on my left inside drive tire....It was flat and off the rim in the park....called service to replace...they came out removed wheels, tire from rim, $450. new tire same brand and type. Old tire was not damaged.... no holes, no damage.... The tire service took it back to shop and water tested on new rim..... NO leaks!! I had a choice to purchase extra rim for old tire (less than 2000miles) for $180.00. plus New tire on old rim $450.00 . or they offered to buy my tire for $200.00.
I had no storage or way to replace if I got a flat, so I sold for $200.00.
I did have them replace the valve stem on my old rim... 2 days later the tire is still holding air @ 100psi.
p.s. we are (were) in Badlands, what a great place to get up close in a National Park....
We are now heading East towards Upstate New York.....
Again PRIDE of OWNERSHIP keeps you going (spending) and going!
Seeya later,
matt & Connie

fulltiming
09-19-2009, 02:59 AM
I suspect that the valve stem was your problem. I have a very slow leak in one of my valve stems but it is a BIG hassle to have the wheel removed, the tire removed to have the valve stem replaced. If it gets worse, that will be my approach. Unlike car tires, truck tire service centers typically don't change the valve stems unless you specifically request it. Learned that the hard way.

tuga
09-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Micheal,

I have edited my post. I thought that you were talking about the valve stem needle. Sorry!

zcasa
09-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Ok, so we are now 830 miles outside of Denver in the Quad Cities. We will be in Grand Rapids tomorrow. Today, we toured the Hoover Presidential Museum and tomorrow we will tour the Ford Presidential Museum. We will then proceed for three/four days in Bay Harbor, MI, a Signature resort and they give you two days free. We will tour Makinaw(sp) Island and then head over to Vermont via Canada. We are staying in Burlington, Lake Champlain area for 4/5 days. Hey Matt, where will you be??? We will probably be within a few hundred miles and one never knows, we are starving for some Gumbo. NO interesting pictures, yet, Clarke, unless you want to see me driving. We left Denver at noon yesterday. All's well, except tow car battery dead. I'll figure that one out. Hope Tom made it back well and is resting. Have a good evening everyone.

David

chockwald
09-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Well, David, we will be living vicariously through your adventures for the next 8 weeks anyway.....we'll be leaving on our next long trip the middle of November.....3 weeks in the Pacific Northwest, and down the Washington, Oregon and California coasts. Looking forward to some great pictures.....the pressure is on....LOL!!! Safe travels to you and Denise....looking forward to hooking up with you next Spring for some "California Dreamin'".

encantotom
09-21-2009, 03:28 AM
david, it sure sounds fun. thanks for asking if i got home ok. i got home saturday nite. went to bed at midnite and got up at 3am. the glamour of mega business travel.

i cant wait for the weather to cool down so i can get to work on my list of projects. now that gordon has done the door, it makes me want to take that wallpapered panel off so i can cover it with upholstery material.

later

tom

express1
10-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Yea, we are still out here. However we have pointed south, and I have check the distance home. We have discovered the place we would like to stay! Hilton Head,@ the Outdoor Resorts Motorcoach park... This is the best place of all. although we have not see all of them....This is the place for us...The town, beach, food, weather. So with that said, if Tom will send his Credit Card we can stay and fix anything that comes up.....
In the past 2 months we have many tales to share......

chockwald
10-03-2009, 02:12 AM
We look forward to hearing the tales.....seems like it has been longer than 2 months, but you're right...it has been almost exactly 2 months since we all departed Creede! I've heard many great things about Hilton Head......

encantotom
10-03-2009, 02:19 AM
hey matt, now that it has cooled off in az, you ought to come spend some time here and hang out with us....

tom and darlene

express1
10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Funny you should say that, we don't normally make distant plans, but that offer sound pretty good.....

I would like to be in Southern California in January, Reno around March or April...

zcasa
10-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Pushing further into Maine today. We must be stubborn to stick out the cold, rainy, blustery weather, but the leaves here in NH have been wonderful. We want to see some of the Maine coastline and then we will begin chasing Matt and Connie, although, we will still be around Cape Cod, Albany, NY and Gettysburg for the next 18 days. One good thing that we have found out is that the furnaces work great. We will never complain about hot and dry weather again.

David and Denise

zcasa
10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Pushing further into Maine today. We must be stubborn to stick out the cold, rainy, blustery weather, but the leaves here in NH have been wonderful. We want to see some of the Maine coastline and then we will begin chasing Matt and Connie, although, we will still be around Cape Cod, Albany, NY and Gettysburg for the next 18 days. One good thing that we have found out is that the furnaces work great. We will never complain about hot and dry weather again.

David and Denise

chockwald
10-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I really like waking up during the night and hearing the rain on the Newell roof, but after a few days I think I might get cabin fever. What's the forecast? Hope it will clear up a little for you. Nevertheless, nothing like a good furnace....is this the first time you've had occasion to use them?

express1
10-03-2009, 04:17 PM
David, the rain was to much for us....Connie already has web feet... We had to move...If your travel brings you near Old Forge, you might check it out....
We had the entire KOA to ourselves.
We are now in Hilton Head Outdoors Resort....
This is the Best Place EVER!!!!(for us) Beach bike riding, shopping, food, golf, shopping, weather, shopping, and friendly people.
Did I say shopping?
One good thing about this area is that there are NO ROCKS!

When we do leave here, we may make one more stop....
Foley, Fairhope, Alabama.
There is the Marriott Grand Hotel.
We have stayed there often. One of the best Spa Hotels around....
I may need to rest for awhile.

encantotom
10-03-2009, 05:48 PM
hi matt,

the weather here in mesa is fabulous in the winter. you would love it.

lots of nice places to stay, although you are always welcome to park in from of my house.

several of the guys have stayed at a really nice rv park that is less than a mile from my house.

we would guarantee a good time. ask any of the gang who have come and hung out with us, michael, clarke, wally, david, jim.

later

tom

zcasa
10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Well, pretty hard rain, we detoured to Kennebunkport and are staying just south of there. Checked out George and Barbara's pad today. Nice digs. Weather forecast is more of the same tomorrow but sunny Mon and Tu. So, we will hang here and then head to Cape Cod for a time. We have plans to be in Hilton Head as well, but late Oct. Sounds like a very good time. Matt, staying at Tom's is the best. His tour of the mansion is a must, Darlene's homemade pizza is a must, Heather playing the grand piano and singing is a must, and chasing Missy around is way fun. Good times and great memories for sure. Safe travels to all. Clarke, yeah, I had found the furnaces a time or two before, but they have never had to run this much. This has been a very wet summer and early fall in the NE. We are meeting my sister in Cape Cod, my parents in Gettysburg and Denise has two days of work in Albany, otherwise, I'd be right next to Matt and Connie for sure.

Have a good day everyone.

David

Richard and Rhonda
10-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Matt,

Being a South Carolina boy to the core. If you have time take the toad and take Connie into Charleston.

Plus a day trip to downtown Beaufort. Say Bewfort, not Bo fort. It is the essence of the Carolina low country. I am so jealous, I love that part of my home state.

Pick up a couple of Pat Conroy books while there, he nails the essence of what honor means to a southern male. Beach Music, Prince of Tides are some of the better titles.

Learn to shag (it's a dance, not the Brit definition) while there at the SC beach.

Man, you got me jonesin for the coast.

express1
10-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Richard, as thing are great here. We went to Beaufort today for the shrimp festival. Also we went to Hunting Island then snuck into Tripp Island .....we posed as someone important..... (turned around at the gate) This place has the feel of south louisiana without negative inputs. This place Hilton Head Island is still tops on our list..... We are going to Savannah soon... after football games.... its only 45min. from Outdoor Resorts.
Sorry, but I'm just not a dancer!!!

Richard and Rhonda
10-04-2009, 01:14 AM
If you went to Fripp you had to go through Frogmore, one of the more interesting names for places I think. Google a recipe for Frogmore Stew, and you'll find a very Cajun style dish.

Spent MANY summer vacations with my kids and their grandparents on Fripp. I am glad you are enjoying my home state.

zcasa
10-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Richard, thanks for the tips on SC. We will be there the last week or so of October. We have reservations at the Beauford State Park for a few days. Guess it is only 10 minutes or so into downtown Charleston. I ran the marathon at Kiawah Island and found Charleston to be quite the city to explore. After reading yours and Matt's postings, we can't wait to see Beauford and the other areas that you guys are mentioning. Thanks for getting us excited about that area. Have a good day.

express1
10-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Not that we want to, but we are leaving Hilton Head Island on Thursday. We will go down to Jacksonville and decide at that point if we go South or West towards home.....Most likely West. We will have two stops if we go west. There is a newer place in Foley, Al. It sounds Ok, but no Outdoor Resort.
Bella something..... We will also stay somewhere near Jacksonville. Any good Ideas?
Hilton Head Island would be a great way to end 9+ weeks of travel....
David, are you going to check out Hilton Head? or have you stayed at Outdoor
Resort before?
Its nice to have several Prevost owner coming over to check out our Purple Newell.... on more than one occasion Prevost owner have said "we thought about buying a Newell but resale seems hard to work with other dealers"
Safe Travels to All,
matt & connie

fulltiming
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
The only question is a why a Newell owner would want to trade for anything other than another Newell?

express1
10-08-2009, 11:22 AM
That Is Fact!

zcasa
10-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Matt:

We do have Hilton Head on the radar. We will see how much time we end up with. Our return flight to Denver is Nov. 3rd. We have stayed at two Outdoor Resorts. One even delivered a newspaper every morning to our front door. The only better service would be if we had a mail slot. Maybe Tom can help me with that. On Cape Cod right now. Gorgeous, but windy today. The challenge with finding the next RV Park after an Outdoor Resort experience is "reality sets in". It's great that you and Connie have had a nice extended visit there. Had to be as relaxing as any part of your wonderful trip so far. Safe travels. I still think it would be a good idea to start a thread with RV Parks that all of us have stayed at and our recommendations. I feel that it would be invaluable to all of us traveling. If we could break it down by state somehow that would be cool. But, like many have said, if I have such great ideas, how come I didn't do better professionally?

David

chockwald
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Michael, that, indeed, is the question!

Well, we're not heading out for 9 weeks, but we are heading out to one of our favorite weekend destinatiions this time of year....Ventura, CA. A few pix of our last time there.....the 1st looking up from the beach to our coach...about 50 feet to the water. 2nd looking from the back of our coach toward the ocean. 3rd at dusk looking toward Anacapa Island.....one of the "Channel Islands" off the coast of Southern California. There's a lot of oil out there that the waco environmentalists will not let us extract!

folivier
10-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow Clarke, that 1st picture is there any room between you and your neighbor?

Hey Matt, bring some cool (DRY) weather down with you! We set a record high yesterday. I have a friend with a front-end loader if you need it to unload your "rocks"!
A thread with campsites especially listed by states would be great. We hope to take a couple trips during the holidays. Looking forward to a late spring mini-rally.

encantotom
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
our neighborhood always does a huge halloween party in front of our house by blocking off the street. we usually do a full meal and treats of all kinds. i make root beer in larger versions of what i had at our ralleys.

if any of you are around, it would be a fun time for you to come to it. we do it from 4 to about 6pm and then clean up for trick or treaters. my wife and i do ice cream and home made root beer for trick or treaters and it is always a big hit. the weather is fantastic this time of year.

last year we probably had 450 people at the block party and 250 trick or treaters. 45 gallons of root beer....

tom

chockwald
10-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Forest, not much room at all.....this is a Ventura County Park, which was built about 30 years ago. I had to "shoe horn" myself into the spot. Our "neighbors" were taking odds that I wouldn't be able to back in.....I did, of course, first try! We had about 20 feet on the passenger side of our motorhome, so I worked out well....I like being 50 feet from the waves!

We arrived at Rincon Parkway (another Ventura County Park) about 1pm, and are sitting here right now enjoying the salt air, breeze, and the sounds of the ocean. The spaces on Rincon Parkway are end to end, and are about 50 feet long. The pix below were taken 5 minutes ago.

express1
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Oh yea, they brought the newspaper everyday also offered tennis lessons, more bike riding than one can do. (except Richard) coach wash & wax, dinner discounts, we even caught 3-4 lb. large mouth bass in the pond in front of the coach....This place just did IT for me. However all good things do end......then start again (soon) We are on our way Home......

express1
10-11-2009, 10:37 PM
A new meaning to 91/2 weeks.....
we are home
thank you Newell!

chockwald
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Matt and Connie:

Glad you made it home safely....what an amazing trip!

zcasa
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Ok, so I love the way Richard summarizes things. Here is my attempt:

Days on road: 45
Countries visited: 2
States visited: 20
RV Parks stayed in: 18
Newell Driven Miles: 4,749
Subaru Driven Miles: 3,173
Coach Issues incurred: 0
Subaru Issues incurred: 1 New Battery
Best mileage with Newell: 7.3 mpg
Best mileage with Subaru: 26 mpg
Average per night RV Park fees: $41.13
Newell life is good.

David

prairieschooner
11-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Matt,
We're sitting here at El Golfo, Mexico watching a little afternoon Television (it is 91 degrees outside) and The Long Long Trailer is on. I now can see what Lucy and Connie have in common. Lucy collected Rocks as well. The movie isn't over yet but I am sure that something will happen later with the Rocks!