PDA

View Full Version : Outside Bbq

GORDON HUMMEL
09-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I like to cook outside, but was always annoyed @ setting up the BBQ. Newell provided the gas line, so it was a no brainer to use it. Took a little while to find the correct size BBQ that was not junk, but I found one. Bought a 10 pack of 24" sides on Ebay & they arrived yesterday & the grill arrived last week. Only took a couple of hours to cut the existing draw & build it. HD had a 4" turntable that worked out fine. Still have to plumb it, waiting for the brass adapter that goes into to BBQ valve & then 1/4" mpt.

Now for the TV that goes in the same bay!

afrench45
09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
What is the depth of that bay?

chockwald
09-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Looks like a marine BBQ....I had one of those on my sailboat. Good choice! Mine came with a Sea-B-Que, also a marine grade BBQ. I had to buy the adapters and quick connect fitting to use the gas line Newell plumbed into the coach. Works great!

GORDON HUMMEL
09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
The bay is the full width of the coach. The Newell draw is 45" deep, & slides out 36". The BBQ is 48" from the side of the coach.

prairieschooner
09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Gordon,
Is that BBQ a MAGMA Newport? We just purchased one of the Newports for our '82.

GORDON HUMMEL
09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
It's a Magma Chefsmate, Marine BBQ. Seemed to be the same specs as the Newport, without the igniter , but $50-60 less; if I did my homework correctly!

zcasa
09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Do all of us have the gas line for a bbq as standard equipment on our Newell's? Would love to have it, but where do I find it if I have it?

GORDON HUMMEL
10-01-2009, 12:56 AM
If you look at the first picture I posted, you will see the plumbing for the gas on the left (rear) side of the bay. Don't know if standand, but it has a red shut off valve provided

afrench45
10-01-2009, 01:20 AM
I have an 18 inch wide bay, that is the depth of the coach. I ordered two slides from Newell like they mount the pantry slide outs with that are 48". I mounted those to my coach, then mounted those two a piece of plywood. On the piece of plywood, I mounted my plasma swivel mount for a 32". It works nicely and doesn't take any room at all. That would solve your tv problem fairly easy. Ill swing by my coach tomorrow and take pics and post.

prairieschooner
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Gordon,
I believe that you are correct, they look to be the same basic dimensions. We have a Newport that we have used for about 7 years that has been a great little BBQ. I installed the mounts into the railing of our deck so that it can come inside when it starts snowing up here.
Since we were going to be Dry Camping at the last outing I purchased another Newport for the Coach. We then went to COSTCO and got a couple bags of frozen Sirloin Burgers, they go on the Grill while still frozen! The Newport could do about 4 Burgers and was able to keep up with 15 family members.
You will love your new BBQ.

Richard and Rhonda
10-02-2009, 12:55 AM
This is a trivial point, but I found that in plumbing into a coach gas system where the regulator was at the tank, that having a second regulator at the grill totally restricted the gas flow to limit the heat of the grill. Just something to troubleshoot if you aren't getting the gas flow you think you should.

chockwald
10-02-2009, 12:59 AM
I have that same problem, Richard. I have a regulator at the tank, and one on the BBQ. It just takes a little longer to get it up to temperature, but it is irritating. I need to figure out how to eliminate the regulator on the BBQ.

encantotom
10-02-2009, 01:41 AM
i do not have a regulator at my bbq. just the one at the zillion gallon tank.

tom

GORDON HUMMEL
10-02-2009, 01:54 AM
I just went to the Magma web site & they offer a valve for regulated onboard systems! I never thought of the valve on the BBQ as a regulator, but then again it connects to those little bottles & my 5gal/lb bottle which have no regulator(s), so I guess the gas adjustment valve on the BBQ is also a regulator?
Wholesale marine had what I needed for $32 including fgt.
Thanks for the info, I would have really been p..... at the low flame
This site is great

GORDON HUMMEL
10-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Clarke
I just went to the Dickenson marine website, who makes your BBQ
They list a #15-193 Retrofit Low pressure Control, that I believe is not regulated
I would double check as I did not know your model #, but its a start
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/bbq.html

Sure looks the same as the Magma valve

chockwald
10-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Gordon...thank you so much....I will check it out!! Just checked it out and it will work on my BBQ...I've got the middle one on the BBQ page. Thanks again, Gordon, you have just improved my life on the road!

afrench45
10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
The brackets are slides from Newell that they use to mount the pantry with. It was really an easy set up, and works great.

GORDON HUMMEL
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Does that bracket allow the tv to be moved up?

afrench45
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
No, all it will do is tilt up and down. Although it seems low, when sitting in a chair, it is perfect. Maybe these pics will show a better view of the bracket.

Richard and Rhonda
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Y'all are going to laugh at the redneck. I unscrewed the regulator piece from the pipe that connect's it to the grill and piped the gas hose directly to the connection pipe.

Uh, cost, 79 cents for the little hose clamp.

chockwald
11-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Dickinson and bought the Retrofit Low pressure Control to replace the regulator on my Sea-B-Que. Thanks again, Gordon for the heads up!

chockwald
12-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Got the low pressure valve retrofit for the Sea-B-Que, and installed it. Had a chance to use it for the first time in Port Angeles a few days ago. The BBQ came up to temperature and then some in one fourth the time, and worked great!