PDA

View Full Version : entrance steps

express1
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
I did search, but not for long..... Has anyone posted info on rebuilding entrance steps.....the motor gear will not extend steps fully out. A clicking noise just before complete opening. I can pull them out and they will lock.
When closing there is no problem....Also while looking under the steps, I noticed a light for the entrance, but how do you replace the bulb? The lens just spins.
Has anyone had this issue?

encantotom
10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
hi, if the light is a round one with the bottom half a lense, it is a license plate light you can buy for 5 bucks at an autoparts store. on mine, it is soldered in, so ya have to replace the whole thing.

as for the steps, mine is a single one and i believe yours is two steps.

http://www.kwikee.com/Asteps.html

i believe this is what is in most of ours. you might have a look at the web site for any advice.

tom

express1
10-05-2009, 01:06 AM
hi, if the light is a round one with the bottom half a lense, it is a license plate light you can buy for 5 bucks at an autoparts store. on mine, it is soldered in, so ya have to replace the whole thing.

as for the steps, mine is a single one and i believe yours is two steps.

http://www.kwikee.com/Asteps.html

i believe this is what is in most of ours. you might have a look at the web site for any advice.

tom

That Right! I'm in the 2 step program...
thanks Tom for reminding me.
matt

ccopel
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
We have had our step (2 step by kwikee) go out. I was loaded ready to leave and the step retracted but made a loud "gear slipping" noise that would not stop when fully retracted. The motor would not stop as long as we had our engine running. I looked for a fuse but could not find one right away and hd to cut the power wire. After my arrival in Houston and the meeting I had to attend I had time to investigate. I found the gear in the gear box was stripped. I was close to PPL and found out they only sell the whole assembly for the model I have. The easy part was to install the new motor/gear assembly. It came with great instructions. The difficult part was having to install a new door swich, they had changed and had to be replaced with a new one. It was enclosed in the kit but required finding out which door swich activates the stairs and drilling a new hole in the door and securing it water tight. The top swich was the one for the step and silicone sealant sealed and holds it in place.
Caution, follow directions carefully so you don't get hands, fingers etc caught in the step assembly during installation or get caught under your coach.

Pete and Debbie
coach #419

Wally Arntzen
10-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Express 1,
Before you purchase anything you may try and get under and lubricate everything from the gears in the motor to all the slide points on the steps themselves. Mine was very tight light you are describing when I got it and all it was dry and tight from lack of use. I soaked it good and it has been good for four years now. I squirt mine with lubricant every couple of monthes because mine are used all the time since I live in the coach full time.

GORDON HUMMEL
10-06-2009, 12:50 AM
speaking of lubrication, that little pin divice that holds the door open was not seating in the rubber piece on the door. My pin arm was off a little & I bent it easily in place. one squrt of WD & it now works perfectly. previously it never fully engaged. seams to work for about 4-6 weeks & then needs another squrt

GORDON HUMMEL
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
My step stopped about 1/2 way out. I have kept it lubed, but the problem was the motor, under the plastic cover, was falling off. It is held up by four bolts, but all were about to fall off. With the motor not in place, it put a side load on the linkage, 2 stamped arms, & broke one arm & unhooked the other. It would be easy to weld, but there is not much metal @ the end that broke. An internet search found the linkage for $19 on Saturday. Monday got an email that kuiwee doesn't make that part any longer & your have to buy an assy, incl the motor for $300.

I'm going to weld the old linkage pieces & see what happens.

Word to the wise, Lube your step & check the bolts that hold the motor on. You'll have to remove the plastic cover to tighten, but I think you could reach up in & try to wiggle the motor to see if it is tight !!!!!!!!

busnut
01-23-2011, 03:23 AM
I believe this motor is a early 90s Ford window motor.

folivier
01-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Well it's my turn. Step started chattering when it is retracted. Pulled the motor/gear assembly and the large gear has a couple teeth missing. Been searching all morning and haven't had any luck finding any repair parts. Everybody says the parts won't work on anything earlier than 1999. Can't believe that but no one has been helpful.
I did find the motor here http://store.amequipment.com/210-series-gearhead-motor-12v-rh-housing-pinion-p-130.html
in case someone is looking for one.

rheavn
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Forest,
The reason why you are being told the parts are incompatible is because around '99 they redesigned the control box. When I put the new step on mine it worked backwards-came in when the door opened and extended when the door closed. I had to get a new door switch & my inside switch works backwards. I just had a friend replace her control box and motor and she dealt with the same issues. I believe to use the new motors you will have to replace the control box too.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful....................

folivier
01-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks Steve, but the motor and control box works ok. It's the large gear that is bad.
But I may have a solution. I'm going crawl under the coach (properly supported of course) again and see if that works.

folivier
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Well I did get it working. I did find a plastic gear at Napa http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6551502_0061177763
that might work but I was able to just turn the gear 180 degrees so that there are no broken teeth. I'll see how long that works.

prairieschooner
01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I think I need one of those new fangled things, how 'bout you Clarke?

encantotom
01-11-2012, 11:21 PM
steve,

a step is just another thing to fix, especially when it has a motor, control board, switches etc. consider yourself lucky.

ha

tom

prairieschooner
01-11-2012, 11:37 PM
yea our step is the manual type, we carry it inside when we travel and carry it outside when we get to our destination.

PS We also have a smaller plastic lightweight version for when traveling. I am thinking of adding something to break on one of them, just not sure which one.

folivier
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Steve, its not fun unless its obsolete.
Think I'll pick up a 20 mule team for just in case.

prairieschooner
01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
OK I'll add an incandescent light fixture to one of them.

chockwald
01-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I like my manual step.

prairieschooner
01-12-2012, 02:49 AM
But does it have a light?

GORDON HUMMEL
01-12-2012, 03:00 AM

Barry Rooker
01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Don't overlook the high dollar alternative: replace the Kwikee with the Executive step, the one currently used by Newell. It's quite different, more substantial, etc, etc.

When our Kwikee gave up the ghost rather than spend more money to have the same step, we upgraded to the Executive step. Just an idea.

lbrachfe
01-12-2012, 07:01 PM
How much did the upgrade to the executive cost ?

encantotom
01-13-2012, 02:04 AM
what step is that? i did a quick search on executive step and didnt find anything?

tom

rheavn
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
The model is Executive. It is manufactured by Braund, a division of Barker Manufacturing. Just for info I inquired about changing from the Kwikee step to the Executive & Newell's estimate was $5,500.00. It is VERY nice!

tuga
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I don't know how many of you out there have stepped onto an Executive step; it is as solid as a rock.

My Kwikee steps are not as solid, but they work great. I have had to change the electric motor and the control box. I keep a spare door switch in my spare parts bin because when the switch malfunctions the step goes in and out at will.

For $5,500 I'll just stay with my Kwikee steps (but if I won the Lottery I would definitely buy an Executive step for my coach......).

lbrachfe
01-13-2012, 06:55 PM
It's $5,500 just for the step and $2000 to $3000 for labor and framing materials quoted by Tommy Keys at Newell to me last month. I used some rubber concrete stair covers and siliconed them on to my Kwikee's and they are much improved for $26.00.

prairieschooner
01-14-2012, 04:10 AM
for 6-8K I'll have to stay with our "manual" type that we pick up and transfer as needed! Heck 6-8K will buy enough Diesel to ...........

express1
01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I saw Cannon tumble off his Executive just as easy as I have fallen off mine....Cannon doesn't even DRINK.

smagown
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Has anyone found it online?
Neither Braun nor Barker shows it in their product lineup.

rheavn
01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Steve,
I'm guessing it is proprietary to Newell and therefore not shown or available. Country Coach used a Kwikee step that they had proprietary rights. As soon as Country Coach went under the step became available to all coach owners and is shown on Kwikee's web site.

prairieschooner
01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Matt, You going to be in the desert this winter? I want to see you fall off of my "manual step". Seriously, we'd like to see you and Connie if you are around.

express1
01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Trying to get out of here (home) now....s**t just keeps getting the way.
maybe around the end of the month...
hope to see ya'll also.

folivier
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Hey Matt, what's the phone number for your son's business?
I might try and get my windshield replaced before we head west if he can get one in before we leave.
Hope we can meet up with you and Connie.

prairieschooner
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Great, hope that more ....s**t......... doesn't get in the way. Weather in Idyllwild has finally turned into Winter! We left yesterday with light snow and light rain down the mountain. We're in Yuma now and the weather is much better.

smagown
03-28-2012, 07:20 PM
I just ordered a Series 32 Kwikee step assembly for my rig. I always listen for my step to retract when I shut the door, but I can't see down there with the door shut to verify. While traveling I heard a sliding sound and then a thump, when I got home I saw the lower step pushed towards the back about 6". The arms are bent. I've tried to straighten them but I can only get them to retract about 2". The Series 32 is on sale at PPL for $373 for the complete kit. Will I need new door switches? If so, which ones and from where?
Thanks,

folivier
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Well I did get it working. I did find a plastic gear at Napa NAPA AUTO PARTS (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6551502_0061177763)
that might work but I was able to just turn the gear 180 degrees so that there are no broken teeth. I'll see how long that works.

Well it lasted just about a year. Started chattering again. I emailed both Kwikee and PPL to see if the replacement gear set and motor assembly will fit. If not I guess I'll buy a new step.

ccjohnson
02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
When I replaced our control unit, the new one came with test procedures. If my memory serves me you can just reverse the motor wires to take care of the switch issue. be sure to test it before final tightening .