PDA

View Full Version : 110V compressor leak

Bill & Sonja
11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Has anyone had to deal with a compressor leak between the head and the body of the 110 compressor. I have been tracing leaks and find the largest ones so far at the 2 heads of the compressor. I have tried to tighten them down but no improvement. I am about to pull it out, remove the heads and if it looks appropriate use some gasket goo, locktight or something similar. Any thoughts of experience in with this problem out there.
Bill

encantotom
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
to clarify, do you mean essentially the head gasket? or the piping in brass that comes off the head?

you can buy rebuild kits for them, i know dean has rebuilt his and i have an old one i want to rebuild.

if it is the brass fitting, then just remove it and reseal it.

the headgasket, it may be metalic, but i dont know.

tom

Bill & Sonja
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Tom, the brass fittings are fine, no leaks. The leaks are actually at the head gasket, on both heads. Would you have a heads up on where to find the rebuild kits. Thanks again. Bill

encantotom
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
the compressor that i replaced was a gast. i bought it from grainger. they also evidently have rebuild kits.

you might try them.

dean, if you are looking at this post, where did you get the rebuild kit for yours?

tom

Richard and Rhonda
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Whoa !!!!!

You should have a check valve just downstream of the compressor. The compressor itself I would not expect to be airtight. The checkvalve should keep the compressor from leaking. Those valves are notorious for leaking by.

Bill & Sonja
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
OK guys, thanks! Richard - you got me stopped before I had the compressor laying in parts on the bench. I will go check the "downstream of compressor check valve" and continue downstream from there. What a terrific forum.
Bill

encantotom
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
hey, mr richard is right. i replaced my check valve as the one i had didnt "check" anymore.

much cheaper and easier than the head gasket (though mine doesnt leak there either)

tom

prairieschooner
11-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Please just a word of CAUTION, if you try to test the Check Valve make sure that there is a Tank between the Air Compressor and any Shut off Valves!!!
When I was in the Industry I was called back to work to repair an Air Compressor that EXPLODED when a Ball Valve was Closed. Whoever installed the Plumbing put a Ball Valve right after the Air Compressor, when the Air Compressor was started with the Ball Valve closed it made a hell of a noise and sent Cast Iron like Shrapnel.
Very dangerous affair to say the least!

HoosierDaddy
11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I ordered a rebuild kit (part # Gast k260 service kit) for my Gast compressor from:

Isaacs fluid Power Equipment Co.
Mason, OH

Phone:

888-336-8501

I took pics of the rebuild but I am having trouble uploading them....
Dean