PDA

View Full Version : Insurance costs

Rockcreek73
11-25-2009, 01:19 AM
We know that it is different from State to State on costs and coverages, but what company are you'all using for your coach insurance?
Mike

ABnormal
11-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Mike,

In Kansas, I pay Safeco $500 every 6 months on a 1987. As I recall they had trouble finding anyone to underwrite it. I questioned the cost and the agent said anything more than a minor collision would result in totaling the coach. They really didn't even want to insure it, but I have all of my policies with the same company.

Larry P.

James Tuckness
11-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Good Sam has the best insruance rates for your older coach. We insured our coach as a primary vehicle, 71 Newell and our 87 Cadillac as secondary. We saved a bunch on what we thought was very good rate. We also received at no cost $10.000 of collision insurance on the coach at no cost. GMAC is the underwriter for this policy. By age alone a 87 is old and has little value. A Newell has a very high resale value to age factor. Don't let an insurance company lo-ball you on value.

James

zcasa
11-25-2009, 03:45 PM
We have State Farm for the past 40 years. We purchased our 92 Newell four years ago and have it insured by State Farm as well. Haven't had any claims nor any hassles.

HoosierDaddy
11-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm with Auto Owners. I've been very happy with their claim service but have not had any claims on the Newell except for new windshield after taking a hit from a stone. I have the coach insured for a stated amount for a very reasonable cost. Also they will switch to comprehensive coverage only while I have it in storage saving me a lot of money.

Rockcreek73
11-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the responses. We are finding quite a range of coverage, from only ACV, to agreed value with Progressive, who seems to always shine here in Mt. Good Sam/GMAC send a competitive quote, but appears to be ACV settlement. National Interstate is right in there. Fun seeing the differences. That's my business. Just wondering what everyone else is buying out there.
We are off to Maimi on Monday to go over our Dream coach we found 3 years ago at FMCA rally.. It's an 04, so I do think we are going to carry agreed value for a couple of years.

prairieschooner
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I have Progressive. They seem to be very good, our policy covers us into Mexico as long as we buy the Mexican Liability Policy. This turnded out to be a big savings this week.

Summersgal
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Sorry for maybe repeat questions, but in checking with Insurance with certain company's unless they have your other insurance they will not touch it. Just checked with progressive and they are 3 times higher than Allstate. Good Sams/GMAC will not insure because they don't have everything else we own. Any input on company's would be great.

Also how so you know how much coverage you need?
Deductables? Comp & Collision? Medical and so on.
Any input will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Pam

chockwald
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Typically, insurance companies do want your supporting business to write the coverage on the RV. Just be sure whatever carrier you use provides coverages comensurate with RV usage.....loss of use, motel costs if you are on the road, broad road service coverages, etc. I know Progressive provides a great RV policy, but it sounds like they are much more expensive in Oklahoma. I use Safeco Insurance in California....they are now owned by Liberty Mutual, and I don't know if they do business in Oklahoma under Safeco, or Liberty Mutual. They provide a very broad RV coverage....unlimited towing, loss of use, etc. I pay about $850 per year for my Newell. Here is a website where you can get some other suggestions: http://gypsyjournal.net/blog/ I'm sure Nick will also have some suggestions.

Summersgal
01-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Thank you. I will chek into the info that you posted!
Progressive is way out of site here in OK!
Called Good Sam and since we have everything else through a local company they will not even quote!

Thanks again
Pam

Richard and Rhonda
01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I have mine with Thum Insurance. http://www.thuminsurance.com/content.aspx?sectionid=1&contentid=10

I have a Montana LLC which makes the insurance even trickier.

Talk to Melissa.

encantotom
01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
howdy. i have allstate for alot of other things, many cars, 2 houses, etc.

but they were very expensive for the coach.

the best i found is by being a member of fmca, then going through their insurance company.

i pay a little less than what clarke said.

i have very high limits on mine to be able to be under my umbrella policy.

tom

chockwald
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Tom, out of curosity, what insurance company does FMCA underwrite their policies through?

encantotom
01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Trimuphe Casualty out of Ohio

the agency is Explorer RV Insurance Agency

my policy is 717 dollars per year full coverage

tom

smagown
01-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I have a Montana LLC also. My renewal came in today from American Modern Home for $1192 for the year, includes AV, $1000 deductible.

Thanks,