PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Newell in Classifieds

chockwald
01-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Just saw the 1996 45' Newell in the Classifieds for under $100,000....looks like a beautiful coach with a half raised roof. Still some great deals out there! It's in Edmonds, OK....

afrench45
01-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Clarke,
That is one of my very good friends coach. He lives about a block from me and we travel together alot. It really is a beautiful coach. Who ever buys it will get an outstanding coach and deal.

Summersgal
01-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Pam and I talked with the owner this evening. We have an appointment to look at this coach Saturday morning. We are both very excited to see this coach.

Jeff

afrench45
01-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Jeff,
I hope you like the coach. It really is beautiful and a good coach.

Andrew

Summersgal
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
My real concern is the mileage, it's around 245,000. How many miles are too many before I should be worried? Jeff agrees the mileage is a little high but doesn't seemed too concerned. Are their a lot of coaches still going strong with this many miles? Need some reassurance.

Pam

Richard and Rhonda
01-14-2010, 12:27 AM
My OPINION is the engine and tranny are good for more miles than you will ever put on it, if they have had any maintenance at all. Do you have a VMSPc? if so, take it with you, hook it up and drive it for 50 miles, you'll know if anything is seriously wrong with the engine or tranny.

Suspension components wear, so there is a possibility of replacing tie rod ends, shocks, bushings, and such, but this is not a bank breaking experience.

You can judge for yourself the wear and tear on the interior. Unless the coach has been mistreated, you will find time just as big a factor as mileage on all the components except for engine and tranny.

You have an 88, how has it stood up to time in your opinion?

The coach has several upgrades which the owner will tell you about for a coach of it's vintage. One, the front cap is the later model style. Two, most of our vintage have the zipdee manual awning, this one has an electric.

Perhaps you could negotiate the removal of that funny looking OU stuff, or maybe not depending on your allegiance.

Summersgal
01-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Thank you Richard,

You make a good point about TIME being a factor also. Time has not been a factor concerning our 88, the previous owners took very good condition of this coach. Other then normal wear on the leather upholstery, everything inside is in excellent condition. The black paint on the outside of the coach was starting to oxidize. Jeff went and bought some very, very expensive wax, he stated this was the best wax to use, he bought it from an automotive paint and body shop. Of course, to use this wax, he had to have a brand new 6" variable speed right angle Dewalt grinder, an adapter piece, and a bunch of Velcro backed sponge buffer pads. I could not understand why a bottle of turtle wax would not work! It looked so good when he got done, I could not believe it was the same coach. I guess he earned his new tool. Seeing the craftsman ship and how things have held up to time, is why we can not settle for anything else but another Newell. Thanks again for your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

Pam

chockwald
01-14-2010, 01:16 AM
If maintained properly, and driven, these coaches should go a million miles. You could double the current mileage and only be through half its life span. I'm not sure we'll put another 120,000 miles on our 1982, and it only has 120,000 now, 17,000 of which we have added in the 2 years we have owned it.

afrench45
01-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Pam,
as previous stated, I am very good friends with the owner. We just got back from California 2 weeks ago and his coach ran like a champ. His 60 series ran just like mine. Im not sure if he told you, but this coach was previously owned by Ganassi racing. Generally race coaches have there own drivers who pamper them. My coach was previously owned by Dale Earnrhardt Jr. and his driver kept the coach up very well. There was a compartment full of filters and other odds and ends to maintain the coach. I personally would not worry about the mileage at all.
and Richard, the OU stuff just adds value to the coach :D

Summersgal
01-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Richard,

I am typing this response while wearing my OU shirt, looking at my OU stone plaque on my desk, using my OU salt and pepper shakers on my supper and drinking my tea out of my OU tumbler. I see no problem with negotiating that the OU items stay with the coach. :)

Still waiting on how the chat with your alignment buddy went. :)

afrench45
01-14-2010, 01:26 AM
:D
Pam do you go to any of the games?

Summersgal
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Andrew

Thank you so much for your comments. This is what I was needing to hear and I am feeling better now.

Thank you very much
Pam

Summersgal
01-14-2010, 01:41 AM
No I have never been to an OU game :( I do all my cheering from home with my OU flag flying high in the front yard! Jeff will not go because he doesn't like touching elbows in large crowds. But after seeing those beautiful pictures maybe I will just have to drive the Newell up and join you all there.

Pam

afrench45
01-14-2010, 01:44 AM
I will say its a blast whether you go to the game or stay at the coach. We typically go down friday night and come home sunday. OU has SooneRvillage, and you can pay for an electric spot, or a generator spot and tailgate all weekend. There are 6 other Newells that are usually there!

tuga
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree with Andrew, we love to tailgate for LSU. We usually make about 4 games each season. Have met many great fans from other schools; we invite them to have some jambalaya and fried fish & shrimp. Le Bon Temps roule'. That's cajun for let the good times roll!

Newells are perfect for tailgating. Try it, you'll like it!

larryweikart
01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
I have over 260,000 miles on our 94 which was one of the first series 60's in a Newell. I believe it started to run better and get a little better fuel mileage around the 85-90,000 mile area....seriously. I have maintained it per instructions since day one and have a great service center that runs diagnostics for me and am a true believer in preventive maintainance and that this is a million mile engine. This being said, wish me luck on my upcoming trip to Orlando

chockwald
01-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Richard......I shouldn't be, but I am always surprised at your attention to detail....my eye did not pick up the OU stuff in the coach! I went back and looked at the pix, and sure enough, there it is!

Summersgal
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
I spotted the OU things right off!

As I said last night...I may just have to leave JEff at home and head off to a OU tailgate party next year in our Newell! Sounds like a blast!

Richard and Rhonda
01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
One afterthought, you could have the oil in the tranny and engine analyzed. That should detect any major issues.

But the run to Indio and back is probably all the confidence one would need.

As far as the chat with my alignment buddy. Well, the southern redneck (me) expression is Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it frustates you and annoys the pig. I doubt seriously a talk with the gentlemen would change anything except my blood pressure.

chockwald
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
The '96 sold.....wow, that was fast! Anyone know who got it?

express1
01-19-2010, 04:22 AM
If its the 96 that sparked the sale......
I have a 96 that I can sell.........:rolleyes:

Summersgal
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Sorry folks for not posting this sooner! We have family members that we were wanting to surprise this past weekend and they read this forum also. Jeff and I did purchase this 96 that was for sale. Beautiful Coach!

Picked it up on Thursday afternoon and left Friday for the Beaumont, TX area to show Jeff's parents. Had a good trip, just lots of different things to learn, play with and how they work!

We both drove it to TX and back. Handles differently than the 88 does...that might be cause its longer! LOL

Please be prepared for more questions on things as we are learning our way around it :-)

Pam

express1
01-27-2010, 04:55 AM
That was easy! I also have a 96 if I can help with any issues feel free to call.
However. there are many others that are light years ahead of me with all good answers....

Richard and Rhonda
01-27-2010, 04:38 PM
As you get to know your new toy, we will very interested in details about the differences you notice. The comment about it driving differently piqued my curiosity. Have you driven it enough to elaborate on what "differently" meant?

Matt's coach and our coach are very similar in systems to your new one, so hopefully we can help with questions.

Summersgal
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Richard

We drove it 1000 miles this past weekend. What I noticed is that it takes more room to turn! LOL But overall it drove really good. The steering on it seems different than the 38'. The best I can explain is that the 38' turns quicker than the 45'. I realize its longer just hard for me to explain. But it was nice!

While I was driving Jeff was busy reading manuals and playing with knobs and such! I think it is a "man thing" so correct me if I am wrong. :-)

And Thanks again for offering your help with questions. Sure we will have some!

Pam

Richard and Rhonda
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Pam,

I'm sure some of that responsive steering as purely a result of the shorter wheelbase on the 38. I think Tom said Newell referred to the 38's as sports cars.

Another factor, just thinking out loud, is the tag. The tag resists turning. You'll see that if you play in a big parking lot. Try a turning radius, and then do the same turning radius but take the time to relieve the air pressure on the tag. You'll see the difference.

It may be difficult to compare the engines since the coach weights are pretty different. The same may be true for the ride.

We'll have to arrange a weekend camping trip somewhere in southern OK, and we can compare notes and recipes.

Are you keeping the 38?

Summersgal
01-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Richard

I understand about the sports cars on the 38!

As far as the tag..Jeff played with it some. Something that we both have to learn more about. I was wondering if the Tag actually raises up or is it just the difference with how much air pressure is in the tag? I know NOTHING about the tag so I am learning.

And yes a big difference in weight between the 2 coaches.

A weekend trip sounds great.

As for the 38'..our plans are to put it on the market. But we are going to wait until the weather clears up some here in OK! Winter storm is starting and we want to wait till its a bit warmer! Have to get the rest of our things out of it and give it a good cleaning also. And I hate cold weather! :-)

Pam

afrench45
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Pam,
Im not sure the cold weather is ever going to leave. Schools are out here for the next two days so we should have packed up yesterday and taking a 4 day trip!
Im not an expert on the drivetrain, but I do know the tag does not completely raise. When I got stuck in the previous snow storm, I flipped the switch to Add trac and the tag dumped the air making the rear of the coach sit down. So Im guessing if you flipped it the other way it would raise? Hope I don't ever need to find out!

Also, from all the storms we have had and power outages, It sure is comforting knowing I have a dependable coach only 3 miles away and is there when we need a place to stay!:D

Summersgal
01-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Ours is ready! Figure that if the power goes, We are going to the coach!

Come on Summertime!

Pam

Richard and Rhonda
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
The tag does not physically lift off the ground. The switch lets the air out of the tag bags to relieve the pressure on the tag tires. The other position adds air to the tag bags to shift weight from the drive axle tires to the tag tires. The only time you may ever need this is on the Ohio turnpike, where each axle has a maximum limit, and you automatically get weighed at the toll booth. I don't remember if the max number is 20, 22or 25 K pounds, but some tag Newells are over that number on the drive axle. The switch is a way of temporarily transferring weight to the tag.

So, you ask, why not run that way all the time. Think about the drive axle as a pivot point. It you put more pressure on the tag, it also puts more pressure on the steer axle. Newell typically runs pretty close to the limit on the steer axle tire weight ratings. Pam and Jeff, this is a phenom well known and understood with our vintage coaches. Nothing to be alarmed about, but search on the forum and learn up :-) on the topic of front tires, pressures, and cautions.

Michael Day could publish a treatise on the subject.

Summersgal
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Richard

Thank you for the information. I will read up some more on it today here on the forum! I don't have anything else to do since its kinda nasty outside today!

Pam