PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a part

paultracy3
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
i have a wore out steering hiem joint . it is real big and made by dana corp . newell does not have any of them . and dana has gone bk and been bought by a company in spain and moved opperations there . the guy in parts for newell was kinda like ohwell good luck we cant help you . but if you can find one let us know where because we have a bus that needs one in service . i will get some pics of the part and put it up . maby someone can help .

Richard and Rhonda
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Pics would help. You have independant front suspension, right? The front suspension was made by Dana, Rockwell, ZF.....?

chockwald
01-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I believe he said "Dana"

paultracy3
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
i need the bottom hiem on both sides that the tie bar conects too . it is kinda yellowish in the picture . it is a dana part . or if someone knows the part # that would be a help . there is no #s on the actual part itself . please help anyone !!! not getting anywhere with newell

paultracy3
01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
the bottom steering bar that runs thru the frame is big , probable 2,3/8 diameter. i need the the end piece that threads onto the steering bar on both sides . they are wore out . my mechanic is nervous to take it apart , cuz if it gets damaged and we cant get a replacement . then im realy screwed . the response we got from newell was , we dont stock it and dont know a part # on it . we stopped using them along time ago . we then asked for a build sheet on my bus , and they said they dont keep them for more than 7 years

folivier
01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
If nothing else you might try a machine shop, they could probably make you one.
good luck.

paultracy3
01-22-2010, 12:10 AM
if you could get someone to do it . you would probably be down for weeks

paultracy3
01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
if i could get a part # , i could find out how to make it without taking it off . you could get a drawing of it and specs .

encantotom
01-22-2010, 12:16 AM
when i was talking to newell about the airbags, they told me they bought the entire suspension as a package and didnt keep individual part numbers.
maybe you find out the maker of the suspension package from newell, they should know that, and contact the mfgr and show them a picture. seems to make sense it might work, but who knows.

paul, you mentioned you put HID headlights in. i would be very interested in how you did that.

paultracy3
01-22-2010, 03:39 AM
the whole front suspension was made by dana . they are not in buisness any longer . from what i have been told a company in spain bought up all stock in parts and axels and moved it to spain . apparently its a big problem in the trucking and pasenger bus market . there is tons of trucks and buses on the road using dana parts . and no way to get the now

encantotom
01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
double yuk

jwe648
01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
You mentioned Heim, to me that means a bearing which Dyna would not have made. in aviation we use all sorts of heim bearings or rod ends, some much larger. Did you happen to check with a bearing company? Often time the bearing p/n is on the visiable edge of the bearing.. you may need to clean it up and use a mirror or camera to see it.... just a thought..

HoosierDaddy
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM
It would be helpful if you could include the year and number of your coach in your signature line!!
The serial number and spec number of your axle assembly are on a tag on the rear side of the I beam on the driver side. Serial number will start with HU........ followed by 8 numbers. Get that info and call 800-826-4357. They can help you.
Good Luck....let us know how it goes!

ps Use extreme caution crawling under your motorhome. Block it up first...The P/O of my 1978 Newell was killed under a friends Motorhome.

Dean

Richard and Rhonda
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Paul,

I couldn't really tell from the picture, but I think that you are describing a typical tie rod end, only in a much larger size. I found tons of heim joints on line last night. If you can measure the OD of the threaded section that fits into the tie rod, and the ID of the hole in the joint, I think it will be relatively easy to find replacements.

For example McMaster Carr lists them up to 1 1/4 for the threaded section and 1 inch hole for the through bolt http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-joint-rod-ends/=5hihzo

I know you mentioned a dimension of over 2 inches, but I wasn't sure if that was the tie rod diameter or the diameter of the heim joint.

I hope this helps. If it is not the common heim joint but something more complicated in design, please let us know.

GORDON HUMMEL
01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I believe Ridewell is now supporting the Dana IFS. The following link might be helpful
http://www.ridewellcorp.com/Web/Site.nsf/ID/rv-ifs284-steer

Also, there should be a # stamped into the steering cross shaft that should help. It will be toward the ends near the tie rod ends.

paultracy3
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
that is great info , thank you . im on it !!!. i will let you all know what happens

Richard and Rhonda
01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Paul,

Have you been able to resolve the Heim joint issue?

paultracy3
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
nope , we have been in contact with the company in spain that now owns this style of dana suspension , but they are very slow to respond . fyi dana had 5 different models of the independent front suspention . and they have all been split up to different companies.

larrynjeri
02-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Paul,

Try the Blue Bird forum, lots of the BB have the independent front ends. Those guys know the coach. All dana

See you at Indy?

For what its worth.

Ron Skeen
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Dose anyone know the Firestone part number for the tag axle air springs on a 45' 1996? I'm pretty sure the drive and steer baqs are the same; Firestone W01-358-9447Goodyear: 1R11-066, Ridewell: 1003589447C. I am going to replace all 10 air bags and would also appreciate where is the best place to purchase. I also want to replace all the Height Control Valves and also need part numbers for these 3 valves. Thanks for your help.

GORDON HUMMEL
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
The documentation that came with my coach idicates #9447 air springs on the steer & drive axles. I have not confirmed this & some on this forum feel these axles can not have the same air bags!
The documentation also indicates air bag # 8992 X 4 on the tag axle with an axle capacity of 14K. Your's could be different. You had indicated 10 air bags, so I'm thinking you would have 2 bags on the tag?
I have no info on the valves, but I'll bet they are all the same!

Ron Skeen
02-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks Gordon,
I have research the Blue Bird Forum and after taking pictures and comparing part numbers I am 95% sure that my steer and drive used the same bags for a total of 8 Firestone: W01-358-9447 The tag uses 2 bags; Firestone: W01-358-9457 which are identical spec except for the air supply which feed through mounting bolt instead of the 1" hole in the 9447. Still trying to figure what my option are the the 3 leveling valves. I thinks the Firestone's may be the better choice because they have bumper inside the bags and I'm not sure the Good Year do.

Richard and Rhonda
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Ron,

My coach, and others I have looked at used a Ridewell leveling valve. Ridewell has superseded that design with a new design called Extreme Air http://www.ridewellcorp.com/Web/Site.nsf/ID/air
When I look at the new design, I am not sure if it is a direct drop in or not. Some fabrication may be required as the air in and out appears to be in a different place than the original valves

I haven't looked very hard on the net for a source. I do have a leaking valve, courtesy of my alignment "mechanic", so I am looking to replace the two rear ones.

I have also looked into King of the Road, since they are all metal. Most of the buses run them. http://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/ This may require fabrication of a bracket.

There is nothing special about the leveling valves. Well except you have to be a contortionist to replace the rear ones with the wheels still on the coach.

HoosierDaddy
02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's where I bought my ridewell valves:
Ridewell corp.
Springfield, MO
417-833-4565

$55.00/pc COD shipped to my door. At that time they didnt take credit cards. They are geared to sell to jobbers with accounts but were very accommodating as long as I sent a company check or paid COD.

part# 6300BNAE16 rear?
part# 6300BFAB10 front?

I ended up using both on the rear. The only difference seemed to be in the linkage...I used the linkage that was already on my coach.

Richard and Rhonda
02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Dean,

Did you take the rear wheels off to replace the valves, or work around them? Just curious.

HoosierDaddy
02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Actually I hired a skinny guy to work around the tires. If you jack it up and block it there is room. I'm old and fat so I occasionally get help with work done under the coach. I do most of the rest of the work myself.

paultracy3
03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
finaly have the drag link coming from spain , should be hear friday , i will post a picture

fulltiming
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Hope things work out Paul. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

dblais@shaw.ca
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
the bottom steering bar that runs thru the frame is big , probable 2,3/8 diameter. i need the the end piece that threads onto the steering bar on both sides . they are wore out . my mechanic is nervous to take it apart , cuz if it gets damaged and we cant get a replacement . then im realy screwed . the response we got from newell was , we dont stock it and dont know a part # on it . we stopped using them along time ago . we then asked for a build sheet on my bus , and they said they dont keep them for more than 7 years

I would like to help but please call the item you need by a name that most mechanic would understand
First " idiem " is not known in any parts catalogs
Denis

paultracy3
03-22-2010, 02:46 PM
we got the part in from spain , it was the right style part just not big enough . they are sending another one over . hopefully it will be the right size

paultracy3
04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
i finally got the right part for the front steering , 2 shipments from spain both the wrong part . and found a guy in texas , from a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that new this guy that thought he had the part ... and did !!!!!

paultracy3
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
hear is the part

Neweller
04-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow! That is all I can say. So glad you finally found the hook up.

rheavn
05-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Paul,
Can you post a part number and your source for the part. This will help other owners with similar vintage coaches.