PDA

View Full Version : Ross Steering Wheel Removal

77newell
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know how to remove a Ross Steering wheel. I suspect the horn button pops out but am worried that I'll break it and replacing it with the proper 1977 period piece would be really difficult. I'm thinking of reducing the size of the wheel from 20 inch to 18 inch for comfort.

Jon Kabbe
1977 show coach

encantotom
05-04-2010, 12:32 AM
can you take a picture of the steering wheel from the top and post it?

i have taken mine off, but not sure it is a ross and mine is a 1990, but if similar i can tell you what to do.

tom

prairieschooner
05-04-2010, 12:49 AM
I went to Harbor Freight and bough a Gear Puller Set. The Horn Button came off with a little prying the rest was straight forward, remove the bolts for the Horn Adapter and then the Large Nut that holds the Wheel and then it will unbolt as well. Now you want to use a Puller to remove the Hub.
Good Luck!

77newell
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys, I suspected that was the case, but my careful "persuasion" evidently was not persuasive enough. Now off to work.

Jon
1977 Show Coach

Neweller
05-05-2010, 03:02 AM
A lot of other wheels will work on these Newell's. I have used a Freightliner wheel and a Peterbilt. I like the looks of the newer Peterbilt wheel. And as long as your steering box is tight, the smaller wheel works great. The boxes are generally pretty easy to tighten up.

Best of Luck!

Ken W.

77newell
05-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I bought the gear puller. Pryed like crazy to get the horn button off. Pulled the wheel and re-indexed it. Then I noticed that it's easier, at least on my coach, to place the button in place with the togs on the button between the three catch tabs on the wheel and push down lightly on the botton, to slightly lower than flush with the wheel and then rotate it until locked. This last piece about rotating the button rather than pushing and prying is the important point in this note. Now feels great and the text on the button is right side up - way cool.

77 coach, civic toad