PDA

View Full Version : Headhunter M5 Experience

RussWhite
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
My Headhunter M5 leaked through the electronics when I purchased the coach used. A call to the Headhunters and they said that particular failure was normally terminal and offered me a new pump at 1/2 retail if I returned the sticker from the old one. With Tom's help we removed the old pump to stop the leak and he has it in his garage with many other interesting things he has collected. Well, today I got around to installing the new pump. Plumbing is not my strong skill, but finaly there are no leaks. I am not really sure why this pump is really necessary, but it's too late for me to be involved in that debate. I turned it on and let water run. It self primed as it's inlet is below the water level in the fresh tank. It pumped water just fine and in a very nice steady stream. Here comes the but! But, when I shut off the water it runs for 30 seconds or so, shuts down for a second or two, and takes off for another 30 seconds even though the water is all turned off and there are no leaks. If I turn power off to the pump the pressure holds on the system at about 30 psi giving another indication there are no leaks. Since this pump is all new to me let me ask if this oepration is normal. I hope not, but I don't know what I can do at this point. I do not think there is any surge tank or even the air pad you get with a hot water heater that has a Pressure Overtemperature Valve. Your thoughts???

Russ

RussWhite
07-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Just wanted to follow up and note the solution here so somebody in the future might benefit.
I described the situation to the tech at Heathunter and he suggested I might have a downstream filter that was restricting water flow and making it difficutl for the Mach5 to purge all the air from its system. I told him that was very possible and I had the replacement of that filter on my list. Well, when it was replaced that solved the problem and the pump is working just great now. Very quiet and a household like 60 psi with no pulsations at all. I am running from my fresh tank and using the Headhunter on a daily basis now. Russ

fulltiming
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Great information Russ. We appreciate the follow-up. Most of us do not have the Headhunter so we knowledge base is more limited. Congratulations, now you are the Headhunter expert.

rheavn
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Russ,
Thanks for the follow-up. It is always helpful to hear a final resolution to a problem. I do have the Headhunter, but am new to Newell ownership so I had no troubleshooting experience with the pump and couldn't answer your question. It is good to know that Headhunter offers good tech support.
All of my previous motorhomes have had the normal 12V systems where pressure and volume was always an issue. These pumps are unbelievably quiet & offer residential pressure & volume. For those that don't have a Headhunter consider it for a future upgrade as it would be well worth the money.