PDA

View Full Version : Bay Door Adhesive

David and Teresa
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know what Newell uses to glue the bay doors to their frames? I'm starting to have issues with mine coming unglued.

rheavn
08-17-2010, 12:55 AM
David & Teresa,
They use a two tube glue that is mixed in the applicator. It is sold directly to body shops. I have the brand & web site at home, but am currently on the road until this weekend. If you call Newell service I am sure they can tell you. If you don't get the info I'll post it when I get home.

Currently in Monticello, IN.................

smagown
08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
David & Teresa:
I used Six/Ten two part epoxy from West Epoxy. It is an awesome product and bonds very well. Someone posted on here and that's how I found out about it. You need to order extra ends for the tube as the epoxy mixes there and after one application it needs to be replaced. I have a bunch left in the tube but need the new end to use it.

David and Teresa
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'll check that out.

rheavn
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
David & Teresa,
The product that Newell currently uses is Norton Speedgrip. Part #636425-06419. The web site is http://www.nortonautomotive.com/speedgrip-auto.aspx
Just put the part number in the search box.

tuga
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I have used a product called PC 7. It is a 2 part epoxy and works great. You can find it in most hardware stores.

David and Teresa
09-06-2010, 06:41 PM
OK, here is what I did. I found the PC-7 at Ace.

I measured a good door and built a jig by cutting 2X4's with extra 4" above and below the size of the doors. I cut slots in the back 2X4 that fit over the aluminum frame. I put heavy L brackets on the 2X4 that holds up the bottom of the door at the proper height. 2" from the top and bottom I drilled holes and put in 10" bolts that protrude past the front of the door. I took a piece of cardboard and traced the profile of the door. I transferred the profile to another 2X4. After jig-sawing the profile, I glued felt on this 2X4 so as not to scuff the outside of the door. Matching bolt holes at top and bottom allows the jig to be tightened and keeps the door aligned to the frame. I have 3 (for each side and center of the door).

I tried gluing a small door first to see how the glue would hold. The PC-7 is easy to work and with about an hour of work time, you have plenty of time to make adjustments. 24 hours later, the door is solid and works perfectly.

Thanks to all for the input.