PDA

View Full Version : Newells I've seen....

chockwald
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Elaine and I were riding our bikes from Ventura up to Seacliff (about 7.5 miles each way) and spotted this pre-80's Newell on Rincon Parkway.....no one was home.

chockwald
09-04-2010, 07:33 PM
The air scoop on the driver's side was angled out quite a bit compared to mine.

encantotom
09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
wow, it is in really nice condition. the scoops sure would help get more airflow into the radiator area.

tomh

chockwald
09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
The pictures actually make it look much better than it really is......looks like it's been on the road for a long time with no TLC, but the body is clean, as in no dents, or rust apparent. The plates are Nevada. Wish someone would have been home so we could see the inside.

chockwald
09-06-2010, 01:30 AM
You may not believe this, but we spotted another classic Newell along PCH...this one just north of Carpenteria....appears to be a late 80's, wide body. The owners "weren't home"....probably down on the beach, but here are a few pix. It has California plates, and just like the pictures indicate, is in great external condition. Wasn't able to see inside, so don't know about that.

***Just noticed that the name of the family is on the "eyebrow"...."The Fulks"....anyone know them?***

On another note, we took a chance and ran down Rincon Parkway on our way back from Pismo Beach (took the top of the 'Bird and drove up there for lunch) we spotted the 1980 Newell we saw yesterday on our bike ride, and the owners were in this time! Their names are Jim and Yana (I think she is European....maybe eastern). They've owned it for 5 years. They live in Las Vegas and come to the coast when it gets hot. They were day camping along the ocean (you can park free from 7am to 9pm every day) and then they head to the local Wallmart to park overnight. Very nice people. I encouraged Jim to join this forum. His coach is 37' long and has the much envied ice maker that my one foot less does not have.....sigh! It has twin beds in back. The prior owner did install a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger, and tiled the kitchen area along with new low pile carpet.

jwe648
09-06-2010, 03:01 AM
I have adjustment on the scoop. Mine is set to the middle.. Looks like his is all the way open.. for what it's worth...

Jimmy

chockwald
09-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Ya know, I've never checked to see if mine was adjustable.....I'll check closer and let ya'll know if it is.....I like that possiblity......sometimes a little more airflow would make a difference!

prairieschooner
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Don't think so Clarke, mine look to be fixed.

chockwald
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Who "fixed" it? LOL.......I know what you mean....I just got home from Ventura....will check it and advise....

prairieschooner
09-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Newell you Dork.

chockwald
09-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Ha! Mine is adjustable (picture to follow shortly)...there are two additional bolt holes to turn the vents outward further. I am going to take advantage of that! Steve, check yours....you may find it is adjustable!

chockwald
09-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Mine is ADJUSTABLE! Had no idea. See the picture...there are two additional bolt holes enabling me to angle out the vents like the guy who has the 1980 did. I'm going to do it.

chockwald
09-07-2010, 02:05 AM
OK, adjusted the air scoop out to full extension. Here are the pictures....never knew I could do this.

HoosierDaddy
09-07-2010, 12:20 PM
It would be cool if we could make them temperature activated to automatically deploy when the radiator gets HOT!!!

chockwald
09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, that would be cool....right now it's a 20 minute job.....does your '78 have the adjustable feature too?

prairieschooner
09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Clarke,
This is an informative discussion about the Vents. It might be a good idea for you to do a "How To" on the Mechanical Discussion portion of the Forum with pictures. It may be helpful to someone at some point.

chockwald
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Will do later today. It's pretty straightforward. The one thing I don't like about the vents being out is the screen that is on the inside of the vents to prevent debris from entering sticks out when the vents are fully deployed.

jwe648
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
It would be cool if we could make them temperature activated to automatically deploy when the radiator gets HOT!!!

On Aircraft they call them cowel flaps.. which are adjustable via actuator contolled from the cockpit. Volkswagen bugs used a sealed bellows system that expanded or contacted with the air temp.. which controlled the position of the flap... or you could just undo two bolts.. ez-er...

chockwald
09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Took the coach back to storage this morning. It's about a 13 mile drive, mostly freeway, mostly uphill, to the storage facility. Normally the engine temp on a day like today (overcast and cool) is around 184-185. Today with the air scoops deployed the temp was around 180-181....that's quite a difference!

HoosierDaddy
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
My '78 has moved on to a new owner....I never checked to see if the vents would deploy...I run mostly on flat ground and never overheated. I think a p/o put a larger radiator in it...It is huge!

2dogs
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Our 87 has the extra holes. heading to yuma next week i will give it a try. some pretty steep grades from here no matter what way you go and its still hot down there. Brian

encantotom
09-15-2010, 04:09 AM
hi 2dogs

if you are driving through mesa, az on your way to yuma, please stop by and say hi. i can pm you my address

tom