PDA

View Full Version : Generator auto start

HoosierDaddy
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm generally happy with the invertor/charger in my Newell. I have heard of systems that will start the generator if the house batts get low. I'm thinking it was a part of the invertor / charger. I'd like to find a stand-alone component if it's available. Just wondering if anyone is aware of anything like that?

encantotom
09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
hi dean,

all of the auto start control systems i have found are for specific inverter/chargers and specific generators. there may be generic ones out there, but i have not run across them yet. if any of our newell friends here on the site have auto start for our vintage of generators then they can tell us what system they have.

not exactly much help, but it is what i have found out so far

tom

jwe648
09-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Here is one option & link.. I had considered this for my coach...

Xantrex's Automatic Generator Start is a stand-alone unit that provides automatic On/Off operation for your generator. Compatible with any inverter/charger system except Xantrex MS/RS Series

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-accessories/automatic-generator-start.aspx

Jimmy

encantotom
09-18-2010, 11:38 PM
i had looked at the xantrex as well. i do not believe it is compatible with our generator without major modifications. could be i am wrong. if you look at the datasheet, it does list compatible gennys and model numbers.

it could be it can be hooked up to anything.

tom

Ron Skeen
09-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi Dean,
I install an auto gen start on my 89 newell. It was a stand alone made by Magnum (ME-AGS-S). I think it was used at first with the old inverter and charger but I am not sure. I then change the inverter and it was still working when I sold the coach. On my 96 I have changed to a pure sine Magnum MS series with the Auto Gen Start (ME-AGS) works with the ME Series remote panel. This has been working for over a couple of years and I'm very happy with the Magnum equipment. This is their site I think http://www.magnumenergy.com/Mobilepower.htm
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Data%20Sheets/Accessories/AGS_data_sheet_reva.pdf
I

Ron Skeen
09-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Dean,
A good sorce for the Magnum is West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearch?Ns=Most%20Popular|0

paultracy3
10-23-2010, 03:19 AM
my inverter melted down a while back and i put in a new 5000 watt magnum with autogen start and it works well

afrench45
07-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Wondering if anyone had more info about auto gen. start. My coach is at Newell so I don't know what inverter I've got.
Anyway I had a breaker trip on the pole and everything went dead and I would like to prevent that because my dog stays in the coach often and with no air it gets hot!
how much does one of these systems cost? Is it easy to install?

ashley
07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
you have two three thousand watt inverters. your auto gen starts up when bat voltage is down to 12.2.switch is above drivers seat

Bikestuff
07-10-2012, 01:07 AM
My old inverter is on its last legs and am getting a new Magnum. I think my current system has 3000 Watts. Can anyone explain how to think about the sizing? Should I upgrade to a larger unit? The old one ran everything except Aquahot and A/C on battery....So to my brain it was sufficient. But the new coaches have two inverters...I wonder why that is. Should I just replace the 3000 Watt ProSine with a single new 3000 Watt Magnum?

Cheers,
bill

afrench45
07-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Bill, if my memory serves correctly (>50% of the time) I think I've got the same Pro Sine Invertor as you. It will run everything but the aqua hot and a/c as you said. I'm hoping to find a device that will be compatible with my Pro Sine I have now.

encantotom
07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
hi Tom,

i saw your coach at newell. it is really pretty from the outside. they gave me the keys and i took her for a spin. she pulls to the right alittle, you ought to get that looked at. (ha, yea right, just kidding)

i think we all have the same prosine 3.0 12v version (which they dont make any more by the way, they only make the 24v version). when i ran cabling all over mine i ran 2 cat5e ca bles from the control panel to the prosine in the bay in casei ever have to replace it the new inverters require a cat5 cable instead of the phone cable).

after looking at the AGS manual for the prosine, it doesnt look like a trivial install, but i could be looking at it wrong.

one of you need to figure it out so the rest of us can do it easily.

tom

afrench45
07-10-2012, 04:31 AM
So your why the batteries were dead and my coach would start!! Haha
ive got Newell looking into installing one of these on my coach. I looked at the Magnum system and the xantrex so we will see what they say will work the best.

encantotom
07-10-2012, 02:09 PM
from what i have researched, i would not get a xantrex. the magnum or outback are viewed as much better. they are more repairable with more spare parts. they were both started by guys who left xantrex when it became a conglomeration of acquired companies.

if i recall, the magnum or outback were 2800 watt and not 3000 watt and then they jumped up significantly in size from there.

just curious as to why more capability than what was original? it is all about batteries. what else would you power at the same time?

if you need to run something really powerful, and it is going to suck the batteries down such that the AGS starts the genny, why not just start the genny?

i am just wondering what the usage model would be for larger power consumption off of the inverter.

tom