PDA

View Full Version : Fan clutch

GORDON HUMMEL
12-05-2010, 06:05 PM
In reviewing an ebay listing for a 88 Newell, it states "Horton fan clutch with Multiwing fiberglass 12 blade fan (increased mileage over 1 MPG)"
My 91 does not have a fan clutch! I was wondering if any of you with rear mounted rads, have a fan clutch & if so is it mechanical, electric or air operated.
I doubt the milege increase statement, but even if only .3 mpg increase might be worth it.

Thanks

jack14r
12-06-2010, 12:32 AM
I have a Prevost and I can see on the instant fuel mileage digital display when the fan clutch is engaged,it will drop about 1-1.5 mpg depending on OAT and which speed it is in,it has 2 speeds.

Wally Arntzen
12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
I have an 88 and put on a Horton fan clutch 1 year after I got the coach. It is air operated and it did improve the mileage about 1 mile per gallon. I have a light on the dash to let me know when it is on and I also have a switch to turn it on or off. I let it run all of the time when I am driving in hot weather and run on automatic when in mild or cold weather. In cold weather it will go 5 minutes of better before being activated to the on position.
I makes a big difference to get that heavy steel fan out of there and installing the light weight plastic one.

busnut
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Put on on our '93 and saw no difference in mileage. In fact will probably take it off when I get around to it. It will then be for sale.

HoosierDaddy
12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
What engine ya got there busnut?

busnut
12-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Only two after you and still the 8V92