PDA

View Full Version : Tag axle oil leak

Bothbobsatl
01-18-2011, 03:11 AM
The 1991 45' coach we recently purchased made it across the country (Georgia to California) fine, but during the trip we noticed some oil staining on the wheel rim of the tag (rear single tire) axle. We went thru a truck wash, and after about 200 additional miles, and parking at our destination, the rim was stained again and a small pool of oil formed in the rim. It is very thick, probably 90 weight. I hope you can see it in the photo.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is and what will have to be done to repair? Any advice on what kind of place we will need to take it to correct it?

Thanks much for any suggestions.
Bob

Wally Arntzen
01-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Bob, your seal is gone and you should be able to get them replaced at any truck repair shop or preferbaly a bus repair shop. I had the same thing happen on my 88 coach and it is not a big deal to get it done. It sounds like your on the road so you will neet to get it done otherwise you could do it yourself if you were at your own place and have the tools to do it.
I had it happen to my tag and drive axel after I had it serviced and they put to much oil in the differential and tag axel which caused the seals to go. Fortunately the service garage was a friend of mine and he replaced all of them for nothing.

Good luck and happy travels.

folivier
01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Do you have oil bath hubs? Pull the center stainless trim cap and look in there. If it is an oil bath it might be leaking. If you have grease packed hubs then Wally could be right, it might be your axle seal.

Richard and Rhonda
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Everything you heard is accurate.

I just want to add that half of the lug nuts are what hold the center cap on, so don't think you're going to go lookey lookey just armed with a screw driver.

Wally is right, the seal is blown, or too much oil. Check the back side of the tag if you can to see if oil is weeping from the inner seal also.

Ron Skeen
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
If the clear plastic cover is distorted it could be cause by heat which could mean you have a bearing going bad. I have had this to happen to me and it was the wheel bearing going bad. Look for metal flakes in the oil. See if you can find the reason for why the oil came out of the hub. Good Luck!
Ron

Barry Rooker
09-22-2011, 04:46 AM
I was seeing some oil staining on my front wheels & tag axle wheels. Little grease lost, lots of stains. Changed from Stemco oil bath seals to Chicago-Rawhide and stopped the stains.

Bothbobsatl
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Good to know my bearings were bad had to replace bearings hubs everything no leaks know